Food Trucks in BCS

7,476 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FlyRod
Agglife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been here since August and have yet to enjoy the culture, so I'm still looking!

What are your favorites and how can I find them? I understand that it's not Austin, but there has got to be some good ones out there, right?
FlyRod
Yelp is your friend here.
ChampsAg
Good Bull BBQ on George Bush Drive by Aggieland Outfitters. Pulled pork tacos
Chef Tai and Blake's Steak on campus.
gigemags03
AG
The MESS Waffles truck is pretty darn good!
chigger
AG
As far as I'm concerned there is only one food truck in town and that is Chef Tai. Usually on campus during lunch. Find them on Facebook or Twitter.
Goose83
AG
chigger said:

As far as I'm concerned there is only one food truck in town and that is Chef Tai. Usually on campus during lunch. Find them on Facebook or Twitter.
That's great if you attend classes or work on the big campus. If not, then you're pretty much out of luck.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Anybody recommend Shawarma King?

Edit: accidental emoji choice
ChampsAg
Food trucks will be open @ 11 am tomorrow at Spirit of Texas Fest at Wolf Pen
BrandoC
AG
Agglife
It sounds like there are a few in town. I will be sure to check out Wolf Pen today! So, besides Chef Tai, MESS and Good Bull.... is Shawarma King worth the time? Any others?

I've used Yelp, but the reviews are relatively outdated...plus I trust you guys!

I've been told to check out First Friday in Bryan, so we'll do it. How can we attract more trucks to BCS?
FlyRod
Quote:

How can we attract more trucks to BCS?

Start with completely changing the way government works around here.
sornman
Anyone heard anything new on the planned food truck court?

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-city-council-oks-northgate-food-truck-court/article_f237ee57-431f-580d-82fd-3970692f5544.html
Scruffy
AG
Heard today from a truck that the planned open date is somewhere around mid April.

Which is good for the food trucks currently on campus as I was also told that once the commons opens the food trucks will likely be kicked off campus.
Evidently one of the head chefs or something doesn't like food truck and competition even though they get a fairly large cut off the top from the trucks.
Agglife
I found a few trucks at Wolf Pen yesterday for The Spirit of Texas event. They were ok, but an owner told me that there should be 15 trucks there this weekend with a competition on Sunday.

Unfortunately, they weren't local trucks. Hope some locals will attend in the next few days!

For now I'm still looking...
Agglife
Food truck competition this afternoon at Wolf Pen! Hopefully the weather clears up.

Has anybody heard about a Fire Truck Food Truck in town? Someone told me that they're making crepes. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
BlueMiles
AG
Nothing wrong with food trucks, but so far I haven't found one (and I've visited some in other cities, as well) that I'd rather visit than a traditional restaurant. What am I missing?
FlyRod
What time is the food truck thingie today? Looks like rain clearing out soon.

I saw Fusion Peru and Schwarma King closed up at the Citgo station a few minutes ago, which makes me wonder why they won't be there...
Scruffy
AG
Fusion Peru doesn't need to.
They have built a pretty good following and don't need to showcase their stuff. Also it's Sunday and they don't work sundays.

Shawarma king... I'm not out late enough to see if they've reopened, but last I talked with the guys they were working through staffing/employee situations; which is why they weren't always open last fall. That truck my be dead in the water.
Scruffy
AG
Probably nothing.

Trucks are the "cool thing" these days. So people are jumping on the bandwagon.

I have found a few (years ago in Houston) that I would prefer to brick stores, but they were tacos etc.

I think one of the nice things about trucks is that you don't have to wait to be seated, wait to order, eat, wait to pay, then leave.
You are there, they are there. You order, wait, and pay at the same time; then can go eat where you like.
Getting and eating the food takes less time than going in to eat.
Makes for a good work lunch or while out on the town, getting food and getting back to whatever you were doing.
Wicked Good Ag
When is the food truck competition supposed to be?

We looked at website and nothing stated except pie eating contest scheduled for today. We might want to fight the rain if food trucks are doing something but nothing honestly on event schedule for today.
double b
AG
Chef Tai, Waffology on campus are good.

Blake's steaks are meh. Tried him several times and something was always off.
CS78
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

Never seen them open every time I've tried. The Peruvian food in the same parking lot is dern good.
EMY92
AG
BlueMiles said:

Nothing wrong with food trucks, but so far I haven't found one (and I've visited some in other cities, as well) that I'd rather visit than a traditional restaurant. What am I missing?
It depends on what comes out of it.

I've been on a kick trying to hit the Texas Monthly top 50 BBQ joints. A food truck recently opened in Waco that is easily one of the top 10 briskets I've had. It may not be as good as Franklin or Snow's, but it's very close. It easily equals Pecan Lodge and La Barbeque.
Agglife
Here's an update of the Food Truck Park in case you missed it! http://www.kagstv.com/news/local/food-truck-park-to-open-in-college-station/429054919

I also found my fire truck crepe truck on University the other day. These guys are awesome! http://firetruckcrepes.com/
jja79
AG
Corkscrew BBQ in Spring started in a mobile trailer before moving to a building 18 months. It was then, and is now, the best BBQ I've ever had.

Food trucks are trendy so some care less about the quality.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
CS78 said:

W.C. Griffin '09 said:

Never seen them open every time I've tried. The Peruvian food in the same parking lot is dern good.
idk what the deal with these guys is. they've been there for like 6 mths and not open still. not sure how true it is but someone told me they are actually trying to sell this truck.
Scruffy
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

CS78 said:

W.C. Griffin '09 said:

idk what the deal with these guys is. they've been there for like 6 mths and not open still. not sure how true it is but someone told me they are actually trying to sell this truck.

They were open a bit this fall, but couldn't get reliable people to work it. So their hours were sporadic. Food was ok, nothing great.

I'll ask about the truck next time I see the guys.
Agglife
Looks like these guys are official! http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Fire-truck-food-truck-opens-in-College-Station-419393354.html
FILO505
AG
double b said:

Blake's steaks are meh. Tried him several times and something was always off.

You may be the only one in B/CS that thinks this. Multiple awards, closed his truck to spend months in Philly to learn the art, ask questions, find suppliers...so maybe it's not a Subway Philly cheese steak, but my time in Philly agrees with the awards. His specialty sandwiches can be geared towards certain tastes, but his original is the best you'll find this side of Philly.
double b
AG
Maybe so but I tried him again last week, still meh. I've eaten excellent food from coast to coast and make it my mission to find the best dives in any city I visit. In my opinion, it's just not that great. His previous truck concept wasn't very good either.
double b
AG
Also, I've eaten from some of best deli's in the US and love sandwiches. So I'm pretty sure I know a good sandwich when I've had one.
FlyRod
I loved Big Daddy Z's.

The problem with trying to do Philly Cheese Steaks is, well, it's just not that good a sandwich.

The REAL Philly sandwich lurks in the shadows there...slow roast pork. I'd hijack a food truck around here that did one of those!
Tailgate88
AG
Agglife said:

Looks like these guys are official! http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Fire-truck-food-truck-opens-in-College-Station-419393354.html

Has anyone tried the Fire Truck Crepes truck yet? We are thinking about booking them for a private event but would love some feedback...

I see they have a Facebook page too.

https://www.facebook.com/firetruckcrepes/
Brewmaster
AG
MESS waffles truck is closing their post does say "don't unfollow us quite yet"

I still need to try good bull bbq, but tried DBQ a few days ago and had a great experience...also converted over my Rudy's loving wife
Agglife
These guys are great! I spent some time chatting with the owners...it's a husband and wife team from Denver. The food is awesome and the owners are fun to talk to. It's definitely my fav in BCS.

I found a yelp review too...getting ready to add my own. https://www.yelp.com/biz/fire-truck-crepes-college-station

Update- just found them at First Friday!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.