Agshacks going North

11,910 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by isitjustme
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is both cities, right?
EvenPar
AG
In many cases they are replacing an "eyesore" that has been neglected for more than the 10-15 years you mention. Maybe not as much in College Station, but in Bryan they have replaced some bad looking properties in some lower income neighborhoods. I guess it remains to be seen how well they will be maintained over multiple decades.
Picadillo
I think most of us understand reasons for replacing an older property with new. At issue is the repetition of these agshacks as the answer and their growing number. Little innovation and a "sameness" is settling in to our community.
CollegeStationMaid
I had a conversation with a contractor on the high rise at George Bush across from the soccer fields. He said that building will have 3600 units. Why do we need all these?
Cyp0111
bc John Sharp found out he could profit off of university land.
redd38
AG
Picadillo said:

I think most of us understand reasons for replacing an older property with new. At issue is the repetition of these agshacks as the answer and their growing number. Little innovation and a "sameness" is settling in to our community.
They have as much diversity as the houses in any other neighborhood. I'm actually impressed that the AgShacks aren't MORE cookie cutter.
Scotch
AG
That's true if you are comparing Ag Shacks to suburban style spec and tract housing in South College Station, but in the Southgate area and southern Bryan, they often replace older unique homes.

Now, I understand those homes don't take full advantage of their large lots in terms of increasing density/reducing sprawl, but they are definitely more unique than nearly all AgShack style replacements.
Scotch
AG
Bryan Citizens Invited to Public Input Meeting Concerning Rental Housing in Established Neighborhoods

Topic: Rental Housing in Established Neighborhoods

When: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, at 5:30 p.m.

Where: Basement Training Room, Bryan Municipal Office Building, 300 S. Texas Ave., Bryan, Texas

In the past three years, the City of Bryan has noticed an increase in the re-subdivision of lots in established neighborhoods for the construction of single-family homes, which are often used as rental housing.

The process typically involves the demolition of an older residence and in some cases, re-subdivision of larger properties to accommodate the construction of comparatively large dwellings, which are often used as rental housing. Such rental units are commonly referred to as "Stealth Dorms" due to the fact that although the structures are built in compliance with the residential building code that regulates construction of single-family homes; they typically are rented by-the-room to unrelated individuals.

At Planning and Zoning Commission meetings where the re-subdivision of lots is considered, nearby property owners have frequently expressed concerns about the re-subdivision requests and the use of rental housing in established neighborhoods. In response to concerns about this trend, the Planning and Zoning Commission has appointed a subcommittee to study the topic. As one of its first steps, the recently established subcommittee wishes to invite input for any who wish to offer their views on the matter.

The public input meeting will discuss the subject of by-the-room rental housing in established neighborhoods. The meeting will begin with an informational presentation by staff, followed by the opportunity for attendees to participate in interactive boards and provide feedback on the topic.

If you have any questions, comments or need additional information regarding the public meeting please contact Stephanie Doland at (979) 209-5030 or by email at sdoland@bryantx.gov. If you would like to provide input on this topic but are unable to attend the public meeting, please also contact Stephanie Doland with your concerns.
Belton Ag
AG
The odd thing is that in these neighborhoods, much of the existing housing is already being used as rentals and occupied by students. I get the concerns, but the houses being demolished are typically decades old structures that wouldn't pass a building code in 2017 and are in desperate need of remodeling. So what you end up with is a nasty old house rented by students that gets replaced by a brand new house rented by students.
WheelinAg
AG
Looks like College Hills is having their own problems now.

Protect College Hills

Scotch
AG
Holick, Day, Dunn, Helena, Moran and Gilbert in Bryan next on the list for a major neighborhood conversion to Ag Shacks.
rsa
AG
Belton Ag said:

The odd thing is that in these neighborhoods, much of the existing housing is already being used as rentals and occupied by students. I get the concerns, but the houses being demolished are typically decades old structures that wouldn't pass a building code in 2017 and are in desperate need of remodeling. So what you end up with is a nasty old house rented by students that gets replaced by a brand new house rented by students.
When a house gets renovated and rented out, it's still a house. There's a chance that sometime in the future a family nay be able to call it a home. But when a house is wiped out and turned into a stealth dorm it is doomed to be nothing more than a multi-room rental. It will never, ever be a family home. So much for the notion of preserving neighborhoods.
redd38
AG
rsa said:

Belton Ag said:

When a house gets renovated and rented out, it's still a house. There's a chance that sometime in the future a family nay be able to call it a home. But when a house is wiped out and turned into a stealth dorm it is doomed to be nothing more than a multi-room rental. It will never, ever be a family home. So much for the notion of preserving neighborhoods.

They tore down a house to build a house that better fits the current need. If the current need ever changes they can just tear down the AgShack and build a house that fills that new need. You sound like a hoarder wanting to hang on to something old just because you might need it again in the future.

Not that the need for student housing is ever going to go away...
BlueMiles
AG
Or... he/she sounds like someone who cares for the integrity of his/her neighborhood, not the "need" of someone who tore down a house to get more money.
FlyRod
This post times squadpillion.
tb9665
Scotch named streets for the next ones to be hit. How do they know?
Scotch
AG
I used "on the list" as a figure of speech, but... they gone.
Belton Ag
AG
rsa said:

Belton Ag said:

I understand what you're saying but there is a reality that we must face here and that's the proximity to the university plus the increase in the number of students plus the age of the houses in question means that these neighborhoods are forever changed and will never, ever go back to being a neighborhood full of "families." It happens in every town all over the country that neighborhoods evolve over time. If they were doing this in far north Bryan or far south College Station in neighborhoods where there is no demand for student housing you'd have a point, but the powers that be have decided that Texas A&M must increase enrollment and there must be a place to put these students. That means the neighborhoods surrounding the university are going to see an influx of students wanting to rent and the neighborhood demographic will be radically different from its past. Personally I'd much rather see a newer, nicer structure in place over an old, decaying rental home. Perhaps one of the changes I would ask them to make over what's currently being done is to require a certain percentage of the exterior of the edifice be covered by brick or rock instead of siding. Even James Hardie siding has a tendency to start to look worn after a short period of time if it's not painted constantly.
tb9665
I went down South College tonight and noticed all of the construction. If Bryan could keep them in all in one area, it would not be bad. The area of South College is not bad because it is very close to TAMU. I think if I remember correctly it was mentioned that TAMU could use the Bryan golf course land as an area to expand on. The new campus for Blinn and Tamu is going in that direction.
Scotch
AG
I think you may be mixing a few different things. About ten years ago the Bryan golf course was floated as a possible location for the Health Science Center that ended up near Traditions, President Young recently said he viewed the A&M golf course as a "land bank" for future expansion and the Texas A&M RELLIS campus at 21/47 will include space for another Blinn location.
Look Out Below
AG
LOL at land bank...How many more students are we going to add? If they used all the land on the golf course, we'd have to be pushing 100,000 students. Seems stupid to not continue to use all the land west of Wellborn Rd. There are plenty of locations all around campus with land to use without axing the golf course and/or bonfire location.
EvenPar
AG
Are there any AgShacks near Blinn in Bryan? Seems like that might be a prime location for them as well, speaking of close to campus. Maybe even halfway between Blinn and TAMU
isitjustme
AG
There aren't any too close to Blinn that I've seen but they seem to be creeping nearer. Plus, technically they'd have to be called BucShacks!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.