Agshacks going North

11,900 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by isitjustme
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that southgate is full of ag shacks it seems they are making their way north of campus. They are now all across from the Bryan golf course on villa Maria. How far north will they go?
AggiePhil
AG
Hopefully not into Hearne.
Scotch
AG
There are a couple north of Villa Maria, east of S. College.
smilin bob
Quote:

There are a couple north of Villa Maria, east of S. College.
It's better than section 8, ghetto housing.
FlyRod
There have been a number of them in my neighborhood for years. No one has had any issues with them.
biobioprof
Wonder how many parents know the arsenic history of that area around the Bryan golf course.
AggieJason
AG
WTF is an "Agshack?"
Scotch
AG
http://www.agshacks.com/
BrandoC
AG
Cheap, attempted to look fancy housing that is structurally equivalent to a lean to.
AggieJason
AG
BrandoC said:

Cheap, attempted to look fancy housing that is structurally equivalent to a lean to.
Whoa.

Once I saw the pic, I knew instantly what you were talking about.

Those things are horrible (and horribly overpriced).
FlyRod
Kids gotta live somewhere. There are far worse, far pricier places around I bet.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Parents should wise up and stop paying those outrageous rents.

Edit: all over town, not just AgShaqs
BrandoC
AG
College Station supply is already past the demand for living spaces/housing.
EvenPar
AG
Are they that outrageous? $600/bedroom right.... What's a 1-bedroom apartment cost at a new complex, and a 4bdrm at a new complex? Some kids prefer a house over an apartment and most of them are close to campus, within a couple miles at least. The Agshacks might be migrating towards Blinn.
Stupe
S
aggiepaintrain said:

Parents should wise up and stop paying those outrageous rents.

Edit: all over town, not just AgShaqs
And live where?
Broncos
Who cares?
Cyp0111
I believe there is a new 15+ story tower going on up northgate/university. Two more propertis back near Blackwater Draw area. It's truly amazing to seeing how much supply is coming on the market.

I imagine the models have some form of rent reversion calc. The tertiary properties far from campus will get squeezed.
InMyOpinion
BrandoC said:

College Station supply is already past the demand for living spaces/housing.

And yet they keep building and building.
jmazz
AG
If you were lucky you bought some 'Ag Shacks' in 2012/2013 before the market took off. At the time, rent exceeded 1% of the purchase price (it was about 1.03%). Now rent is around 1.24% of what the purchase price was. Slam dunk deal and pretty much 100% occupancy minus a week or so 'turn time' between students. It's nearly impossible to find an investment property in today's market where rent is 1% of the purchase price. And the Ag Shack fellas...they're good people and they've made an absolute killing doing what they're doing...props to them for their vision.
EvenPar
AG
What is their construction cost per sf? Seems like if the bedrooms are renting for that much they are still well above the 1% ratio. Maybe it's the land cost that is bringing the number down
Scotch
AG
Five more Ag Shacks are going up at Green and Fairway.

I do wish the shacks looked more like the Carini Townhomes or the BCS Modern developments around Downtown Bryan.
Picadillo
Not a very innovative housing concept. Cute when there were only a few, but do something twice in a row here and it becomes another friggin' tradition. They are becoming an eyesore.

Reminds me of...
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". Ralph Waldo Emerson
CS78

I'm sure some developers would love to build townhouses given the chance. The Agshacks developed as the freemarkets response to the city not allowing more duplexes, townhouses, or fourplexes. Agshacks fit under the definition of single family homes so much harder for the city to shut them down. Makes no sense to me to allow the apartments in areas that are family oriented but not allow a nice new build townhouse in areas near campus.
threecatcorner
They don't allow duplexes, fourplexes, or townhouses? wtf? Those are all better than things that are supposedly single-family but are not intended as such at all and dwarf everything around them and screw up taxes for the houses near them whose appraisals are out of control.
redd38
AG
Picadillo said:

They are becoming an eyesore.

There should be an Aggieland Board drinking game. One of the rules would be to drink any time someone calls something an "eyesore".
WheelinAg
AG
You should see the agshack they are building at the corner of Tee and Lake View. The house was designed to fit the tiny track of land that was platted in 1932. It stair steps back to fit within the setbacks of the lot. It's a 2/2, with 2 normal agshacks next to it. T

The city is having a meeting on March 21st to address older neighborhoods that are being changed similar to this neighborhood. I'm going and arguing they might as well change the zoning the multifamily so the rest of us that are left can have our property value increased.
EvenPar
AG
Are these being built at $100sf? Seems cheap but still increasing the property values.
jmazz
AG
Less...mid $80s to maybe mid $90s/SF. I believe the last 'quote' I got from one of the builders who builds these was ~$175k for ~2,000 SF. The # of bathrooms plays a roll too...5 obviously more expensive than 4. Land is additional.
Scotch
AG
Where will that meeting be held?
EvenPar
AG
Would you be willing to share contact info of those builders? I've got a friend with land that is interested in getting bids.
jmazz
AG
http://bluestone.ws/home/
WheelinAg
AG
Scotch said:

Where will that meeting be held?

Scotch, the meeting will be held at Clara B Mounce public library in the upstairs meeting room. The planner told me there should be a press release about it today. I'll post that up when it comes out.
Scotch
AG
Thanks
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
AggiePhil said:

Hopefully not into Hearne.
Hearne would be the proper place.
JP76
My concern is the long term quality of these structures as many corners are cut to build them so cheap. One must question what is going on internally if something is being built cheaper per square ft on a smaller scale than even Stylecraft can turn out on a much larger scale. In 10-15 years with neglected maintenance there is going to be a lot of 300k eyesores in these neighborhoods. My other issues is why does the city approve letting 4 houses or 20 bedrooms, and 20 cars go on the same footprint that once held a single family house with 4 bedrooms and parking needs for 4. A prime example is on Cavitt street in Bryan between North and Sulphur Springs. I suppose in the end it's all about tax and permit revenue so it seems they let it slide.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.