BCS ato Houston commute

2,679 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by befitter
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone commute on a regular basis to Houston during business hours?

Comments ?
Gripes?
Thoughts?
Ornlu
AG
I would rather be repeatedly stabbed in the [groin] with a red hot poker than make that commute. 290 is unbearable.
jrhmc
AG
Depends on what part of Houston you're commuting to. I went to 249 and Louetta for about 4 months and it wasn't that bad but that was 10+ years ago. The Woodlands or Conroe would be very doable but I know that going downtown by 8 a.m. was so bad that IBM got my husband an apartment when he was contracted there. I can make it to downtown or the medical center in 1.5 hours now leaving at 8 a.m. using HOV and it's fairly easy but you're getting to your destination by 9:30 or 10. The HOV is toll after a certain time but I think it doesn't switch over until after 8 a.m.
Jules_Winnfield
My hours are fairly uncommon (6-3:30 )and my company allows for flex schedule so as long as I get in my 8.5 I'm good.

I won't be on 290 during rush hour

I'll be going downtown
carpe vinum
AG
Ornlu said:

I would rather be repeatedly stabbed in the [groin] with a red hot poker than make that commute. 290 is unbearable.
I'm more in line with Ornlu, but my wife has made this commute for 7 years. A huge part of her job is talking on the phone so she can do that from the car. Leaves here about 7-8 thus misses the bulk of the rush. Usually home by 5, so again missing the bulk of the traffic. Her in car time is "on the clock" if you will plus they pay mileage.

Were it a typical 8-5+ job with the commute on your time and your dime they'd have to pay me a metric crapton of money, and I doubt it would be worth missing my time with the family.
toolshed
AG
I drive it somewhat regularly. Once the lanes are replaced with concrete and the highway opens back up in a year or two it should be great!! Seems like it's going g to be three lanes all the way out to Buccees, so that will help. Watch out for HCSO, they'll pull you over in a heartbeat.

I went to MD Anderson Monday morning, left Bryan at 5:30, got to MDACC at about 7:30. That was with the bad weather. Traffic may have been a little light with the holiday. I went again Tuesday morning, left at 8:30 and got there at 10:00. I use the HOV/ tollways, Waze, etc as much as possible.

But I wouldn't want to do it every day. How far in are you driving? I leave from near downtown Bryan, so that easily tacks on 15-20 minutes vs Towerpoint.
Jules_Winnfield
I would be doing it 3 times a week into downtown for 3 weeks and the other week of the month would be work related travel.

But like I mentioned earlier I go into work at 6 and leave at 330 so I'm calculating being back by 5-530 at the latest.
Ornlu
AG
I did it 2 or 3 days a week for 2 years. South Bryan to inside the loop, 8-5. I used to have to leave at 5 and wouldn't get home until after 8. No paid milage, no "on the clock". Seriously, It leads to burnout & depression damn quick.
jrhmc
AG
Jules_Winnfield said:

I would be doing it 3 times a week into downtown for 3 weeks and the other week of the month would be work related travel.

But like I mentioned earlier I go into work at 6 and leave at 330 so I'm calculating being back by 5-530 at the latest.
I think it wouldn't be any more painful than going from the edge of Houston at a regular time with your schedule.
toolshed
AG
I was glad I used the 290 HOV /toll Tuesday, 290 was stop and go from the beltway all they way to 610. I'd hate to drive in that mess every day.

My issue would still be the time, even with the 6-3 schedule, you are leaving at 4:30 every morning and home by 5:30. Sounds like a horrible daily schedule to me.
Jules_Winnfield
I'm not doing just because I think it's a good idea. There are other factors playing into this decision.

We're not 100% set on making the move. I would say we are probably 60/40 leaning towards it but the move wouldn't happen until 3 yrs or so.

Just trying to get a feel from people who have actually done the commute.

12 hour "work day" day doesnt bother me.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The Grand Parkway and Westpark tollway are your friends.
Stupe
S
I did it for years on a schedule similar to yours. It's not bad if you enjoy driving.
Stupe
S
Buford T. Justice said:

The Grand Parkway and Westpark tollway are your friends.
That is the best rout to downtown, now.
Post removed:
by user
fishngame06
AG
I've been doing Towerpoint to West Houston on average of 3 days per week for the past 4 years. From garage to garage it takes me 1 hr and 15 minutes but I get to the office around 6:30 and leave around 4:30. Heck, there are plenty of Houstonians that have the exact commute time I do (Woodlands to/from Sugarland, etc).

We lived in Cypress for 7 years and then moved to CS 4 years ago, all the while staying at my same company. We love living in BCS and raising our kids here...wouldn't have it any other way.
barney94
AG
I work in downtown Houston. I have been doing it for about the last 4.5 years. I don't have to do it every day; I have a place to stay so I generally stay in Houston Monday night and Wednesday night, and work at home on Friday. I know there are people that do it, but I don't think a 5 day week, commute every day downtown schedule is sustainable for very long. It's a huge beating. That said, here is what I've learned.

290 is the way to go. I have tried every way possible and it's the best of a lot of bad options. BUT...it is timing dependent, and just count on paying for the HOV. In fact, commuting on any route without paying tolls will not work unless you leave the house by 4:30 AM at the latest. The trick is, the HOV is closed to single riders (toll) from 6:30 AM to 8:00 AM and from 4:30 to 6:00 PM. So you have to be in the HOV before (or after) that time.

This morning, I left Bryan (Copperfield and University) at about 7:15. I stopped for gas and breakfast at the gas station south of Navasota. I hit the HOV at about 8:35 and was at Smith and Louisiana downtown at about 9:15. You can do it quicker if you're willing to get up at 4:00 AM. I did that for a long time, but finally have enough flexibility not to do that.

The Houston Transtar traffic map is your friend. I always check it before I leave and before I get to a possible route change.

Other options are I-10 out to BW 8 or Grand Parkway, but those get messed up too. Also the I-45 HOV works pretty good but it's a longer drive.

TL;DR: It sucks. You better be getting paid a ton of money AND love the job.

Jules_Winnfield
barney94 said:

TL;DR: It sucks. You better be getting paid a ton of money AND love the job.

been working for the past 14 years.. i have yet to find a company that will pay my what i make COMBINED with the benefits i have... with 6 weeks PTO... unlimited sick days... 2 weeks paternity leave... flex schedule... excellent medical, dental vision.

plus i love what i do and i the people i work with..

like i mentioned earlier.. we're not thinking about moving JUST because its a good idea. there are more factors in the descion

i really appreciate you guys taking the time to provide info and comments... seriously Thanks

its making the decision a little easier
barney94
AG
With your hours being 6 to 3:30 with some degree of flexibility, and with the fact you love your job and are well compensated, you can make a case for the move. I didn't see what part of town you live in now...heck if you live in Cypress or Katy you might as well move, the commute's a beast anyhow. Thats why I don't move to Houston - I don't want to pay to live inside the loop, and if you don't there's not much point in moving.

Just make sure you and your family are really clear on what the pros and cons are. The commute, especially an early AM one, is physically taxing. If you are a gym rat, you probably go to the gym at an hour when you will be driving if you move. There's stress if your kids have events you're trying to get to and you run into traffic. Little things like that you don't think about really add up over time.
Jules_Winnfield
I currently live in the Heights and send my kids to private school which while not the only option was the best option based on the schools we were zoned to .

The primary reason for starting this thread was to get both good and bad experiences from people who have done the commute or a currently doing the commute . We will use the information on this thread to help in our decision but by no means is going to pay a major role in the decision.

I do go to the gym 3 to 5 times a week but that won't change since I go work out during my lunch break at work. One of the pluses about possibly moving back to town is that my wife will not have to work, that will alleviate some of the stress of taking my kids to extracurricular activities. Of course leaving work at 3 o'clock I plan on being back in college station no later than 5 PM so I feel that I can make majority of extracurricular activities but you never know
capn-mac
My Reserve shop was in Bellaire, so, it's a drive I knew for 12 straight years.
Now, I had some felxibility in my schedule, especially after 2008. So, I (mostly) made the drive on Sunday nights, leaving about 2100 and rolling back into town about 1000 Monday.
290 was my route.
It was absolutely awful back when the speed limit dropped to 60 in Waller County
The construction on 6 between CS & Navasota was not fun, either.

Still a better drive than the si years when my Drill was in New Orleans.

But, as above, it had better be a good job.

After the Second Depression saw my house foreclosed on, I wound up in DFW. Took a really horrible job that was a 50 mile commute away from Dallas. That was an hour in the morning, 1.5 to 2 hours in the evening; and 3-4 hours on Friday. This did not improve a horrible job at all..

It's one thing to make a long drive to serve one's Nation; or in the interest for a decent job--quite another for a lesser, base, employment.
befitter
If you can use 99 off of 290 to get to where you need to be at that time of day you are golden.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.