Apartment complex on Arrington Road and Greens Prairie

8,029 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stucco
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like a few of the College Station Southside residents are unhappy with the City Council pending approval of a multifamily development being proposed on Arrington Road.

Letter to Editer (via the Eagle): http://www.theeagle.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/letters-for-february/article_afce55ff-cef5-5c8b-88ea-cade5417f63a.html

I'm a little confused though. Hasn't Arrington been on the maps for many years as one day becoming a larger collector street?

[Several posts have been removed to avoid confusion about a different development. - Staff]

[Several post have been removed due to content. Posters on this board will remain respectful or their entire post will be removed. -Staff]
nought
AG
Traffic at the intersection of Arrington and Greens Prairie is already a nightmare. I can only imagine what adding over 1000 cars to the mix on a daily basis would do. It would make the Rock Prairie/Longmire intersection current status look like heaven.

Try to get from Blue Baker (at the southeast corner of Arrington and Greens Prairie) across to head southwest on Greens Prairie at, say, 5:30 in the afternoon. It might take you less time to drive out to the frontage road by Discount Tire, loop around at the next exit south on 6, come back to Fitch, turn left under the highway, turn left on Arrington, and finally turn right on Greens Prairie.

That's now. I have no problem with the growth of the city or even allowing apartments where needed. But, the city must plan ahead for such growth and make sure the street plan can handle it.
O.G.
*As every city planner ever*......."We didn't anticipate this much traffic on fillintheblank road".......
aggiepaintrain
AG
You can't stop progress, or our city council.
oklaunion
A neighbor of mine has a house on Geo. Bush East and was advised by city staff that there are plans to convert their property to commercial, city initiated. Since when is it the city's job to change a single family residential zoning to commercial without the owner wanting it?
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Since when is it the city's job to change a single family residential zoning to commercial without the owner wanting it?

MISSION STATEMENT
"On behalf of the citizens of College Station, home of Texas A&M University, the city council will promote and advance the community's quality of life."

ergo, the zoning change must be advancing the community's quality of life.
threecatcorner
This is just wrong of city council. They need to leave those houses alone.
TexAg1987
With all of the planned development slated for this area, traffic counts could be significantly higher than 1,000 cars. Apparently the disconnect happens because the housing developer has not yet applied for his permit for 2,700 planned homes therefore the city doesn't include that traffic.
SARATOGA
1) There are too many people

2) If there were fewer people, then there would be fewer problems.

3)
Tailgate88
AG
oklaunion said:

Since when is it the city's job to change a single family residential zoning to commercial without the owner wanting it?

Their job? Never. Welcome to the People's Republik of Kollege Station, Comrade.

Signed, the residents of what used to be Wellborn
Chazz03
AG
I want to live in town, close to other people but I never want to see them!
BigBubba
AG
nought said:

Try to get from Blue Baker (at the southeast corner of Arrington and Greens Prairie) across to head southwest on Greens Prairie at, say, 5:30 in the afternoon. It might take you less time to drive out to the frontage road by Discount Tire, loop around at the next exit south on 6, come back to Fitch, turn left under the highway, turn left on Arrington, and finally turn right on Greens Prairie.
Install light, problem solved.
nought
AG
BigBubba said:

Install light, problem solved.

Ah yes, but don't forget, per city code, the moment this new light turns green for northbound Arrington traffic, the light ahead at Arrington/Fitch must immediately turn red.
Oogway
Isn't Arrington & Greens Prairie the potential location of a traffic circle thus no traffic light?
carpe vinum
AG
[Please refrain from using profane language on this particular forum. Thank you. -Staff]
phatpat21
Love the growth but the Arrington/GP intersection needs lights ASAP
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Isn't Arrington & Greens Prairie the potential location of a traffic circle thus no traffic light?
no
ukbb2003
Oogway said:

There was going to be a circle, thanks to Aldrich's brilliant plan, but thankfully someone nixed that idea. And the people calling for a light there are crazy. Do you realize what a mad house that will be? 3 lights within 200 yards?
phatpat21
Do you realize how crazy it is and how many near wrecks i have seen? I dont give a crap that there is another light close by, that intersection is freaking ridiculous.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

And the people calling for a light there are crazy. Do you realize what a mad house that will be?
it's already a mad house
justalocal
SAWgunner said:

*As every city planner ever*......."We didn't anticipate this much traffic on fillintheblank road".......
Lies! I have never said this.

But I've never been employed in B/CS as a planner. I may have dodged a bullet there.
TexAg1987
AGnCS said:

Quote:

And the people calling for a light there are crazy. Do you realize what a mad house that will be?
it's already a mad house

According to the council last night, the light is already coming.

They put alot of faith into the traffic study by the developer. All he kept saying was that it "passed". Never described what "passing" meant.

I don't think it was ever studied at the full buildout of the 2700 home development further down Arrington.

A lot of promises and possibilities by the developer, but nothing I heard last night obligated him to follow thru on any of it.

The mayor seemed to put faith in the "possibility" that they could put another exit out of the property thru another developers land but again, never said anything that would make it a requirement.

Council missed what I thought the overwhelming concern was. It is not a NIMBY, I don't want apartments across the street, although there was some of that, it was a real short sighted approach to adding large developments in this area without a holistic traffic study and road plan for the very dense development going on.

By the time there is an obvious problem, there won't be a way to fix it. A la Rock Prairie, Longmire.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

By the time there is an obvious problem, there won't be a way to fix it. A la Rock Prairie, Longmire.
or Holleman/2818
FlyRod
Community is getting crowded, people need places to live.
Stupe
S

Quote:

It is not a NIMBY, I don't want apartments across the street, although there was some of that, it was a real short sighted approach to adding large developments in this area without a holistic traffic study and road plan for the very dense development going on.

That is my main issue. We have a bunch of "deal with it later" people on the city council that seem to ignore the people that put them there and are listening solely to developers.

I'm not anti growth or anti progress, but am very anti irresponsible growth.
CS78
Stupe said:

We have a bunch of "deal with it later" people on the city council that seem to ignore the people that put them there and are listening solely to developers.

So which ones need to go? Pretty sure there are enough disgruntled home owners in South CS that we could make it happen.
Oogway
CS78 said:

Stupe said:

We have a bunch of "deal with it later" people on the city council that seem to ignore the people that put them there and are listening solely to developers.

So which ones need to go? Pretty sure there are enough disgruntled home owners in South CS that we could make it happen.
Maybe, but only if you vote. Did you end up voting? Remember the election thread? It was only about 5 months ago when many here discussed who was running. (link to thread at bottom)

Here are a few quotes from that thread:

CS78:
Quote:

Thanks for posting. I just wish there was a simple way to find the basic leanings and fundamentals of people running for local election. I usually end up not voting because I can't even find out what these people stand for.

It is difficult to ascertain if candidates will keep their promises. At least one candidate who was elected appears to have kept his...

bcsbell:
Quote:

Eagles just reported their contributions and expenditures.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/nichols-has-spent-more-on-college-station-mayoral-race/article_ae24dba9-5dcb-5d5e-bed6-da5a6039cd36.html

It is recommended to read the whole report and the last comment:

"College Stations politics has for a long time been dominated by developers vs. the rest of us. No one makes this clearer than the Moore vs. Guerra race. Moore's a partner partner with Stafford Barrett Commercial Brokerage.and all his contributions seem to be coming from developers. From now on when you see those big yellow signs around time, think "paid for by the developers who want to make a lot of money on real estate development and want you to pay the costs."

The poster above got that quote from the comments section so take it for what it is worth. I am using it to illustrate the tenor of what issues some of you were concerned about prior to the election. Growth without studying long term impacts. Growth that respects business owners and residents both. As far as I know, Mr. Moore has recused himself when there is a conflict of interest. Beyond that, I don't know. If growth is good, then I guess we are good, because the southern part of town is booming.

kraut made an interesting point at that time, and to be honest, I don't know if it would have changed the situation regarding the issue at hand with respect to Arrington and Greens Prairie or not. After all, at least one of the candidates had worked for a number of years in the transportation realm, but we still have issues with traffic and have had for numerous years...who knows? I sure don't.
kraut:
Quote:

Heard the ad for Joe Guerra this morning, saying the Eagle was impressed with his credentials and experience. I went and looked up their recommendation page, and...well, I'll just post the full quote below:

Quote:

Quote:
Guerra has impressive credentials and experience, but transportation is only part of the agenda facing the city council.

Moore has a background as a businessman and experience on the Planning and Zoning Commission. He understands the needs of a rapidly growing city.

The Eagle recommends a vote for Barry Moore for Place 4 on the College Station City Council.

Why even bring up what the Eagle says about you in an ad if they didn't end up endorsing you?!?

It was mentioned in that thread about Mooney voting against the rezoning on Decatur and Arrington (that is the Shenendoah rezoning, not the one referred to in the title of THIS thread).
CS78:
Quote:

I know Mooney voted against the multi-family housing going in behind Shenandoah. I believe there were over 500 home owners that signed opposition against apartments being built near their homes and most of the council ignored their wishes. That was a little disappointing. I do not know how Nichols voted but maybe someone can tell us. FWIW, Mooney is a strong proponent of neighborhood preservation.

Do you feel he is still a strong proponent of neighborhood preservation? If not, and that is important to you, send him an email and let him know.

I apologize for the length, and I want to stress that I am not trying to offend or harass, but to remind us all that in order to hold our officials accountable, we need to look at both the big and little picture of our community, to listen to what those candidates and elected officials say and what they do, and most importantly vote for those who remember that being in public service is to serve the entire community. Do you think your elected officials serve you? If you do, let them know! If you don't, let them know!

Staff--- I hope I am within your guidelines posted at the top of the thread.
Thread on election for reference: https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2792694/1
nought
AG
Only one member of the City Council stood up for the residents most directly affected by this, Blanche Brick.

Is it time to send a message to the other members?

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?recordid=5957&page=3089
Stupe
S
I don't like their decision, but recall procedures aren't in place to be used as temper tantrums because you didn't get your way.

Oogway
I agree, Stupe. Recall is best reserved for egregious misuse of office, criminal behavior etc.
There is nothing wrong, however, with reaching out to your council and letting them know your opinions on issues in the community.
nought
AG
I view recall procedures as an option when it becomes clear an elected official is not listening to the voices of the citizens who elected them.

Did many of the citizens who spoke on the issue of the rezoning speak out for the rezoning or against it?

Did the council make their decision based on what was good for the citizens or what was good for someone else?
Stupe
S
That depends on your point of view. Citizens that are wanting an apartment complex in that part of town probably think that's good for them.

Scotch
AG
"Honey, looks like we need to move further south".
Oogway
I was thinking about this a little more, and I agree that the traffic in that area is problematic, but if someone that knows or has studied this a little more could chime in that would be welcome. The multifamily dwelling is to be in an area zoned 'Urban' within the CS city limits, correct? But is the rest of the area south of there in the ETJ? As in hasn't yet been annexed? Is that what part of the difficulty is? In that the City can't restrict certain things in the ETJ or doesn't want to allot $$ to certain things if areas have not yet been annexed? Honest question here--I remember the great Wellborn kerfluffle w/regards to city services and I am not trying to get folks riled up about that, but if the city does nothing, there are problems due to sprawl and if they do something there will be problems due to sprawl. Where do the impact fees come into all of this? If you are in the ETJ do you pay those fees? Does the county pay a portion of Arrington improvements if it is in the ETJ?

Edit--the part of Arrington that is not within city limits that is.
carpe vinum
AG
Correct. Across the street (Arrington) is ETJ, so they cannot even vote for the people making decisions on behalf or in spite of them. Something about the concept of taxation without representation. Neither the City nor County are in any hurry to incur the expense of Arrington widening as well as drainage. So they'll both screw around as long as possible before addressing the latent and worsening traffic problem.
P&Z should be renamed. There is no planning taking place there whatsoever.
I'm fairly pro development, but these decisions like this screw a bunch of people over short and long term.
NIMBYs are much maligned, and maybe in cases deservedly so. But I personally wish an apartment complex in the backyard or across the street from each and every one of the people that approve these things.
It does affect their life. It does affect their property value.
And anyone that denies or even makes light of that is an ass.
These decisions have consequences, but as long as it doesn't affect you, who cares? Right?
That's all well and good until it does affect you. Then you look for help from officials elected or otherwise, and other community members. When there is none, how would you feel?

Laugh it up, but there are a bunch of people adversely affected by this and numerous previous decisions along these lines.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.