Young couple (grad student + professional) seeking place to live. Recommendations?

2,593 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Scruffy
hungaryforchile
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey Ags,

So here's the situation. Hubby is a PhD student at the Bush School, and I have a full-time, entry-level marketing position with a telecom company. We're not exactly rolling in money, but we do well (always able to pay bills and cover groceries, gas, things like that--just not going to Vegas twice a month, or something).

We'd like to stay in Bryan, just because the utilities are so much cheaper than CS (seriously, it's amazing to me that anyone lives in CS, just because of how expensive utilities are!), and we'd like to find someplace that's at least safe enough to go for walks in the afternoon/evening.

Here's the catch: We're looking for a 2 bed (or at least 1 bedroom, 1 office)/1 bath for $700 or less, in a safer area of Bryan.

Is this even possible? Where we are currently is a 2/1 for $660, but the area is....sort of safe. Can anyone make any recommendations?

TXCityGirl
I would look off Copperfield or further out in the country. My friend rents in Caldwell because the rent is cheaper and it's quiet.
FlyRod
I'll second Copperfield. I know several grad students and young faculty living in those complexes right near the Physicians Center over there. They seem quite happy, and its easy access up University to campus.
Kbeauty63
AG
Depending on how long you plan on staying - you might look into buying. There are several condos for sale (2 in Oakwood off of Carter Creek & one off Old Oaks) that would run you less than $700/month.
ksp
$700 a month in a nice area?? absolute pipe dream here.
keo1
AG
when are you looking to move? how long are you planning on staying? any pets?
momlaw
AG
hungry, I know keo1. Great family, nice man. Suggest you respond and get in touch.
Sea Pony 07
AG
The area off copperfield is nice, but a 2-2 in this area is about double your budget. People walk in the area late at night and super early all the time.
MsC2012
AG
We live in a safe area in Bryan and our 2/1.5 townhouse is $825 a month. Our kitchen is updated. that's pretty cheap for around here.
patrick.redmill
Kbeauty63 said:

Depending on how long you plan on staying - you might look into buying. There are several condos for sale (2 in Oakwood off of Carter Creek & one off Old Oaks) that would run you less than $700/month.
$700 is a bit of an ask. You could probably find someone willing to take a loss on a sublease, but when it came time to renew with the leasing company, your rent is likely going up. An $800 budget probably opens up your options a lot more, I think.

As mentioned, buying a condo might be a more sustainable option. That Old Oaks Dr Condo (which admittedly needs freshening up) would clock in under $700 with the mortgage, property tax, insurance, and PMI (if you needed it). Not a palace, but waaay nicer than the places I lived in grad school .

If your husband is getting his PhD, I'd wager you'd live there long enough to offset the closing costs. If not, I'd bet you could keep it, rent it and take that (very) occasional trip to Vegas with the profit.
Scruffy
AG
I know at least 1 apartment next to me is opening up.

Yes it's just inside college station, but I've never had more than a $198 bill before (and that was a really hot summer and a lot of guests).
Walking/biking distance to campus. My old roommate did that when he got his phd.

My "hood" is pretty decent for being older. Pretty much everyone around is either a grad student or is working class with kids.
rsa
AG
As a few have mentioned, buying a condo or townhome might be the way to go, There are 10 units listed on the MLS for sale in Bryan and CS ranging from $75 to 105k. Monthly mortgage payments plus monthly maintenance payments would be comparable to rent. Most likely cheaper over time if you have a fixed rate mortgage--rents tend to go up every August.
Kbeauty63
AG
and FWIW - I *DO* live in Old Oaks - we JUST re-sided & re-roofed the WHOLE complex & some owners replaced the single pane windows with double paned ones. And we're VERY quiet since we're tucked into a neighborhood. (Royal Garden Apts across the creek CAN get noisy at times..but still)
hungaryforchile
Hey keo1, sorry for just now responding! I thought this thread had died!

We think we'll be around at least until May 2018, possibly even December 2018. We have no pets, and we could be ready to move by April or May.

As darned luck would have it, though, our landlord is pressuring us to renew our lease by tomorrow, so if there's a chance this could be a workable situation for all of us, I hope you get a chance to reach out today.

I'll be checking this thread throughout the day. I'm relatively new to TexAgs, so if there's a way to receive or send PMs, someone let me know and I'll check/send from there.

Thank you!
hungaryforchile
Nice! Mind me asking where it is that you live, Scruffly?
hungaryforchile
Ah, Kbeauty63! I LOVE those townhomes! We used to live in that "noisy" apartment across the creek (doubt we ever were those noisy neighbors, but I know what you're talking about, haha), and I would walk back in that neighborhood all the time. I always thought those townhomes seemed so cozy and quiet. Not sure if buying is a good option for us at this time, but if I had it to do all over again, we probably would have bought one of those right when hubby got started!
Scruffy
AG
hungaryforchile said:

Nice! Mind me asking where it is that you live, Scruffly?

Boyett street. Technically it's northgate, but we don't normally get anything crazy down our way.
Like I said, most around are grad students or working class.
It's not fancy, but it's a safe place to live.
Walking distance to northgate and campus.
Easy to get around town as you are pretty central, and going against most traffic.

I'm in bed most nights about 9:30ish and the only times I had issues with noise were when schotizis was still around.

The property I'm in is run by finders keepers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.