Eagle Headline Today

4,518 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RiverDog
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Jinx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slocum on a mobile said:

and apology....

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/apologies-to-eagle-readers-and-to-pence/article_7da87524-f84b-11e6-ae21-97ae57b80f39.html/?update
That excerpt from the person accusing the newspaper is pretty funny. Just goes to show that the President's rhetoric on media is successfully distracting those poor folks. Good thing Mr. President didn't get his news from The Eagle this time or it might've resulted in an another embarrassing explanation!
95_Aggie
AG
Maybe they are just thinking ahead ...
Prune Tracy
Fake news!!!
W
AG
wow, that's a big blunder...even for the local paper
FlyRod
They owned it and issued an apology. "Dewey Defeats Truman." Mistakes happen.
AggieJason
AG
FlyRod said:

They owned it and issued an apology. "Dewey Defeats Truman." Mistakes happen.
Yes, but shouldn't by people responsible for spreading news.
Eliminatus
AG
Damn.....that was actually a pretty decent apology and explanation. Hard to rant on someone when they fall on their own sword. Took all the fun out of it for me.
halibut sinclair
Houston Chronicle picked up on this today:

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Texas-newspapers-apologizes-for-Trump-flub-on-10948060.php#photo-12421003

They also correctly pointed out that the headline should read "taps" not "tabs"
Post removed:
by user
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

If it was KBTX folks, they'd misspell Pence.... #sarcasm
You sir have been removed from the official Mike Wright Christmas card list. #sarcasmtoo
duffelpud
AG
Frio Cielo
Not really a "Dewey" mistake. The Dewey beats Truman headlines was printed because Dewey was leading Truman all evening and the paper jumped the gun on who the ultimate winner was going to be. No mistake there.

Here it was just not taking the time and care to edit your copy to catch critical errors.

Between the Eagle and the KBTX morning news, we have a constant stream of instances to chuckle about.

Clucky
Cool - so you didn't read the apology then did you? If you had, then maybe you wouldn't have felt the need to rush on here and throw your two cents in - because that point was made in the apology:

In the case of the Truman miscalculation, editors called a race too soon and more than 150,000 households held the proof in their hands. Their error was based on an overly confident and conscious decision to take a gamble with election projections rather than wait for the official results.

The Eagle's mistake was not a deliberate untruth or an alternative truth. It was an error made on deadline without enough back-up to catch the oversight. That falls on me.
DisneyFan5
I will say that I kind of chuckled at today's headline...but I have the humor of a 14 year old boy. If they could have worked in the he was doing his "duty" it would have been a twofer.
RiverDog
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.