Road construction Rock Prairie @ Longmire

16,930 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stupe
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Expert Analysis said:

Stupe said:

The medians look nice.
definitely a quality highway project when the medians are the only thing that draw a positive review...
So do the sidewalks.
DontBeTriggered
College Station never does things on time or under budget. It's a sad mess there with city governance. It's an embarrassment actually.
Stupe
S
This project started in June of 2016 and was slated for 16 months.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

definitely a quality highway project when the medians are the only thing that draw a positive review..
until weeds start sprouting between the rocks
aggiepublius
AG
One of the biggest improvements and one of the things that is already helping traffic flow better is the simply the mere existence of this new flat pavement. This is one of the biggest design modifications for the whole project and one I think has been overlooked on this thread.

The old, original 20+ year old design of that intersection had the drainage channels that crossed Longmire below the surface level of the surrounding pavement. This meant every person with minimal ground clearance or liked their suspension came nearly to a complete stop to navigate the road crossing. I am betting it will be a bit safer as it should help with the need to slam on one's brakes at green light because someone with a spoiler needs to creep diagonally over the recessed gutter.

I have already noticed that the traffic going crossing RP or turning off onto Longmire is flowing better at green lights.

As to the rock:I have no idea what the longterm cost-benefit vs maintenance of grass median or what any potential savings cost of future repairs vs concrete might be, so I am of no opinion.

Now if they could figure out how to do that at all the inclines railroad crossings.
Stupe
S
aggiepublius said:

One of the biggest improvements and one of the things that is already helping traffic flow better is the simply the mere existence of this new flat pavement. This is one of the biggest design modifications for the whole project and one I think has been overlooked on this thread.

That was one of primary outcomes of the project. It hasn't been brought up because people don't like to do research before they complain.

Facts have a funny way of messing up a good rant.
birdman
The project was disaster. But I keep revisiting this thread to see you pimp your construction company. Thanks for the laughs.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

The project was disaster
how so?
PS3D
birdman said:

The project was disaster.
Three pages of whining on TexAgs of how it will never get done doesn't mean the project was a disaster.
Stupe
S
birdman said:

The project was disaster. But I keep revisiting this thread to see you pimp your construction company. Thanks for the laughs.
If that was directed at me, I don't have any affiliation with any type of construction company. At all.

I do have the ability to read and do research.
aggiepublius
AG
birdman said:

I am not sure who this is directed to but if it is towards me, I am not affiliated with any sort of construction company or the city of College Station. So I am not sure what you are trying to say.
PS3D
aggiepublius said:

The old, original 20+ year old design of that intersection had the drainage channels that crossed Longmire below the surface level of the surrounding pavement. This meant every person with minimal ground clearance or liked their suspension came nearly to a complete stop to navigate the road crossing. I am betting it will be a bit safer as it should help with the need to slam on one's brakes at green light because someone with a spoiler needs to creep diagonally over the recessed gutter.

I have already noticed that the traffic going crossing RP or turning off onto Longmire is flowing better at green lights.

As to the rock:I have no idea what the longterm cost-benefit vs maintenance of grass median or what any potential savings cost of future repairs vs concrete might be, so I am of no opinion.

Now if they could figure out how to do that at all the inclines railroad crossings.
The other thing that was done finally fixed the oversight where if you were going straight on Longmire (either direction) you had to move over to the right side of the road to avoid a head-on collision with the lanes trying to turn left.

They also made the bike lanes continuous through the intersection, in case anyone cared.
Oogway
Define disaster, birdman. Were there any worker injuries? Is the project way over budget?
Hmmm, after checking username, I think I know. You are part of the grackle collective. Well, yes, maybe you should be disappointed that some of the perches are gone....
toolshed
AG
Can we rant about 29th and Memorial now? Or does nobody care because it's in Bryan? That one has truly had minimal work done for the last month or more. The holdup seems to be getting the utilities removed.

If nobody cares, that's fine. I just figured y'all might need to vent about something else. That is all!!
threecatcorner
they are closing it some next week to work on it
birdman
If the project is done, how come some lanes are still closed? And why are there still hundreds of barrels still there? And they still haven't fixed some of the sidewalk/entranceway intersections.

It was complete waste of time and money. And if that project was "finished" on time and under budget, then the guy in charge of accepting bids is a moron.
mwm
I travel through that intersection 6 days a week. Was I inconvienced during the construction? Yes. Am I glad it is now virtually complete? Yes. Is it perfect in all ways? Probably not. Still, it is significantly better than it was.
If you don't appreciate the new configuration, stay out of the neighborhood.
Oogway
I am fairly certain that most folks have not used the word "done," but are commenting that lanes are open. Hopefully that means that it is pretty much 'done' and mostly over except the shouting.
So, while most of us are shouting 'hallelujah '
you, my friend, are just shouting.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

It was complete waste of time and money
Looks like most people disagree with you.
Stupe
S
No kidding. Crossing that intersection on Longmire doesn't require a realignment anymore.
ukbb2003
Stupe said:

No kidding. Crossing that intersection on Longmire doesn't require a realignment anymore.

They need to fix this issue by Rock Prairie Elem. as well.
02skiag
AG
I don't get why they sacrificed lane width for the huge medians. There will be a ton of tire marks on those curbs.
Stupe
S
After driving through that intersection numerous times over the past few weeks, that was not a waste of money at all.

I wish that it had been done when still used it on a daily basis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.