Road construction Rock Prairie @ Longmire

16,997 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stupe
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the expected completion date? 30 years? Is this one of the great engineering feats of modern times?

How can this be taking so long?
oldag00
AG
Are you new to BCS? Transportation projects here are measured on a geologic time scale.
cajunken
jja79 said:

What's the expected completion date? 30 years? Is this one of the great engineering feats of modern times?

How can this be taking so long?
It is timed to be finished when school ends for summer. They will continue construction when school starts back again in the fall.
aggiepublius
AG
I think in this case it isn't the roads that are they time delay but relocating and re routine the various underground utilities.
lightswitch
It's job security with growth. As soon as it's done, it will be unsustainable, and it will have to be redone again. Like I-45 in Houston.
BQ_90
AG
They're waiting for the crew working on the Hwy 21 off ramp to finish so they can help on Rock Prairie
phatpat21
Done by October I think
Rexter
BQ_90 said:

They're waiting for the crew working on the Hwy 21 off ramp to finish so they can help on Rock Prairie

Nah...they're waiting for the utility crews on the Hwy 21 widening project to finish up there and then head to Rock Prairie to move the utilities there. Everything should be done by Christmas.....

Stupe
S
They started last summer and it's supposed to take over a year to complete.
Stupe
S
Started in June 2016 and slated for 16 months.

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?recordid=10400&page=3089

[url=http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?recordid=10400&page=3089][/url]

BrandoC
AG
After TXDot started their increase of work in College Station and watching the butchering they have done, I have no faith in humanity.
jac4
AG
They have to re work the double right turn lanes since local drivers can't seem to grasp them.
UmustBKidding
A long time ago in Paul Harvey's rest of the story segment he read a article from the Brenham Banner press about how the sun will burn out in 5 Billion years, they asked what does this mean. The rest of the story according to them was that TXDOT will have to finish 290 between Houston and Brenham in the Dark. I suspect its likely true.
ontheedge
Rexter said:

BQ_90 said:

Nah...they're waiting for the utility crews on the Hwy 21 widening project to finish up there and then head to Rock Prairie to move the utilities there. Everything should be done by Christmas.....

... if man is still alive.
SCHTICK00
AG
The largest part of the project is moving utilities, and mostly taking overhead power underground. What makes it take the longest is working under traffic and phasing the job so everything stays open. Were they able to shut down the road it would have been done long ago.
ratfacemcdougal
they are backed up half a day every day to clean all the bird poo off all their equipment
FlyRod
Looking forward to the nicer looking and newly improved area when the work is done.
Oogway
And then it will be just in time for the Highway entrance/exit ramps to be redone....
02skiag
AG
Is there a diagram or picture of what the finished product will look like?
Tee
AG
I would like to see a diagram of what it will look like when finished too. Based on what has happened on the north side of the road, it looks the only substantive change is the addition of a wide sidewalk. Before construction there were two travel lanes and a left turn lane at the Longmire light ( and a sidewalk), I think.
Jet Blue
AG
When there is a crew onsite working (which is seldom) most of them are standing around watching one guy work. Another company in south CS has almost completed increasing over a mile of 2 lane to 4 lane AND built an elementary school since the RP/Longmire job started.
jja79
AG
Must be the same contractor building the Atlas Hotel.
Stupe
S
Jet Blue said:

When there is a crew onsite working (which is seldom) most of them are standing around watching one guy work. Another company in south CS has almost completed increasing over a mile of 2 lane to 4 lane AND built an elementary school since the RP/Longmire job started.
What elementary school was started and completed since last June?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

it looks the only substantive change is the addition of a wide sidewalk.
They are also taking the big dip out of the intersection.
02skiag
AG
Tee said:

I would like to see a diagram of what it will look like when finished too. Based on what has happened on the north side of the road, it looks the only substantive change is the addition of a wide sidewalk. Before construction there were two travel lanes and a left turn lane at the Longmire light ( and a sidewalk), I think.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm asking. The median is a huge change though. Too many times folks turning left in the turn lane would stick out part way in a main lane.
SCHTICK00
AG
RP east bound east of longmire will include a left turn lane continuing across the overpass, 2 through lanes across the overpass and a right turn lane onto the feeder south.
Rexter
AGnCS said:

Quote:

Yeah....he should be working in the side anyway.
PS3D
AGnCS said:

Quote:

Yeah, the north side of Longmire/Rock Prairie is almost a full foot lower than what it used to be. I hope that they'll solve the "lanes don't quite align" problem but I'm not too optimistic.
slyk
Hopefully proper drainage is included. I could see this flooding out with minimal rainfall
SARATOGA
I was thru there the other day for the 1st time in a long time.

Apparently it was foolish of me to think that one of the worst traffic intersections in town was under construction to create more lanes, and improve traffic flow.......WRONG.

I saw a huge sidewalk.

A sidewalk.

What in the world do we need with a sidewalk? Nobody walks. We need more lanes. Everywhere.

duffelpud
AG
Quote:

duffelpud
AG
Quote:

What in the world do we need with a sidewalk? Nobody walks. We need more lanes. Everywhere.
For that you can thank 41's siggy on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
armymom
Headed to Scott & White Hospital today it took me 8 mins to turn out of Kroger onto Longmire, right on RP to the stoplight at the bridge by the bank. From now on I'll just hit the feeder from Kroger to Barron and u-turn it back to Rock Prairie east!
BQ_90
AG
duffelpud said:

Quote:

Good thing they painted where the cross walks are, hate to get run over crossing the street
AC Hopper
S
They only work on these kinds of projects during rush hour/commuting times, pursuant to the city's project specs & design guidelines.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.