Why do soo many drivers don't seem to understand how a double right turn lane works?

3,812 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyANobody
smoove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time and time again people will be in the far right turn lane only to merge left during the turn or immediately after completing the turn with no regard to the potential of another vehicle already in that lane. Maintain your lane during the turn and only change/merge when its clear to do so.
Its really not that hard folks.
*Rant mode off*
Stupe
S
I drive a truck so I can do that.
curry97
AG
Sorry. I was looking at my phone when I did that!
GiveEmHellBill
AG
...and also, why is the concept of a 4-way stop so hard for people to understand?
redd38
AG
double left turn lanes are challenging for people too
Moxie
AG
And what's the deal with airline food? Amirite?
Ornlu
AG
This thread makes my head hurt.
FlyRod
[Nobody forces you to read this forum. -Staff]
FlyRod
Curiosity does...usually pays off.
duffelpud
AG

woodometer
AG
and apparently all of the auto parts stores are out of blinker fluid.
AggiePirate
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

...and also, why is the concept of a 4-way stop so hard for people to understand?
Reed Arena, amirite?
AggiePirate
AG
Ornlu said:

This thread makes my head hurt.
Scotch
AG
Wellborn left turn to Villa Maria. People in left most double turn lane then cross lanes to turn right on Willis Van Hook.
Scotch
AG
Single turn lane southbound Harvey Mitchell access road at Villa Maria. People make it a double turn lane and those turning left have company in a lane they should be able to turn into. To be fair this should be a double turn lane.
Satellite of Love
The worst are the people who make double left turns into triple left turns.
KidDoc
AG
I've stopped using the inner left turn at 6 and Fitch because the idiots on the outer left turn lane always want to drift on over to the left sided lane that proceeds down Fitch. Literally every time.

Although the dummies that want to use the u turn then cut across two lanes to get to chick fil a are even worse.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
The flip side of that is that people turning right on red at those lights get confused by those of us that hold our outside turn lane.

I've gotten honked at more than once heading east over six on Rock Prairie by people facing west and turning turning right on red.
BrandoC
AG
Eh, College kids are always in a hurry to go absolutley nowhere is this damn city. That should be the plastered on the new College Station sign at University.
The Collective
AG
Had a dude u-turn from the right lane of a double left turn lane the other day. I am now prepared for whatever dumb **** is thrown at me day to day as a driver.
BCStalk
The double turn lane at SW Parkway and Hwy 6. I don't know how many times I've almost been hit trying to get to Academy.
agfan1030
Had this happen yesterday. Was this guy ok in what he was doing? I was driving Wellborn headed north in the far left lane of three lanes. Person in front of me stops to wait for oncoming traffic so he can make a u-turn to head south on Wellborn stopping traffic behind him (me and others). Seems like a rearend waiting to happen. Traffic is easily moving at 50-55 mph.
taxpreparer
AG
He might have been legal if it was at an intersection. Stupid, but legal.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
agfan1030
No street intersection or turning lane to the left. If I remember there are turning lanes for street intersections to the left. There was a turning lane for oncoming traffic to turn across northbound lanes to a street intersection (if that make sense in reading).
Oogway
This didn't happen to occur near the 2818 overpass did it? If so, I see that quite a bit from northbound traffic making a U at the light (prior to going under the overpass) to head south on 2154 (Wellborn). It can take one by surprise if the car suddenly stops at the green light, no turn indicator and then turns. We call it "the Koppe Bridge maneuver due to witnessing many drivers pull out of the parking lot, cut over to the left lane and then turn. I rather wish it were illegal there because it seems to catch a lot of people offguard.

Edit to add: I have also seen this occur on Southwest Parkway back when the overpass was first built and the onramp for 2818 was moved from the west side over to the east side. Folks would drive through the light and then realize the access they were seeking had vanished. Often they would head up to SP and then make a U turn and head south again.
91_Aggie
AG
Speaking of idiots using the Turnaround at Fitch and 6 to get to Whataburger/Chick Fil A/Lowes, some jerk this morning considered his time more important than the 10 cars back behind him as he stopped in the turn-around with both tires on the curb of the blocking median to wait for an opening to gun across into the that first entrance you use for Whataburger or that gas station.

Yes, he hopped the media in his truck, and all the cars behind him had to come to a complete stop until he was able to get across.
Bob2525
The double turn lane at 2818 & Villa Maria headed west (Walmart) is great, they just forgot to paint the second arrow...
OnlyANobody
Bob2525 said:

..... they just forgot to paint the second arrow...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.