"A Day Without Immigrants"

17,582 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Prescient
AggieJason
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Local-businesses-will-participate-in-A-Day-Without-Immigrants-strike-on-Thursday-413909383.html

Quote:

Several Brazos Valley business owners say they will be closed Thursday to participate in the nationwide 'A Day Without Immigrants' strike.

The grassroots movement is urging immigrants and their families to stay home from work and school in an effort to demonstrate the importance of their role in the American economy and way of life.

KBTX has confirmed several locally-owned restaurants, bakeries, auto shops, hair salons and boutiques will be closed.

So, what businesses will be closed Feb. 16th?
redd38
AG
This sounds like a trick by ICE to make sure everyone is home when they arrive.
ontheedge
Why would legal immigrants think they would be sent away?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Great idea by ICE. They will take note of who is closed today and stop by Friday and fill the bus. Too bad this didn't happen last week and this guy would still be alive.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/14/police-arrest-illegal-alien-after-drunken-high-speed-collision-kills-former-missionary/
Stupe
S
I would like to see a list so I can know where to not take my business in the future.
Muzzleblast
Open border Marxists have convinced the useful idiots, as Stalin called them, that there are only immigrants.

No legal or illegal, just immigrants.

I'd like to see a list of these businesses as well.
AustinCountyAg
Leftist are stupid. Immigrants in the country aren't the problem. Illegals are
BCStalk
I vote to send the busses out. I can't believe these people are wiling to hurt the very person providing income and feeding their kids. I am Mexican and I WILL be at work.

Edit: wasn't there a movie about this?
duffelpud
AG
The article lists:

Facebook links will let you express your "support".
smoove
I propose "A Day Without Americans".
taxpreparer
AG
Why don't people understand that immigrants are not the problem; it is the trespassers.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
FlyRod
Quote:

I propose "A Day Without Americans".

Only if I can propose "A Day Without Russians."
DoubleTap45
Any other businesses found to be closed today? I'll post any I find. I promise that if they don't need my money, I won't need their services in the future.
InMyOpinion
Is this a day without immigrants or a day without illegal immigrants - I'm confused

DoubleTap45
Only illegal aliens are complaining. They use the blanket term "immigrants" but of course, since the protests are about perceived threat of deportation due to ICE raids, legal immigrants would not be involved or have any reason to be concerned.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I've never heard a rational argument for breaking or failing to enforce the law.

Play by the rules, or change the rules; you cannot choose to disregard the rules.

Immigrants are not the problem, illegals are.
FlyRod
Pretty sure the places closing won't be the ones the typical gringos on this board patronize anyway...
Stupe
S
Pretty sure you haven't been to La Botana very often.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
FlyRod said:

Pretty sure the places closing won't be the ones the typical gringos on this board patronize anyway...
Which means their "protest" will be affecting precisely jack and sh*t. Oh, and the employees staying home won't be getting paid.

Great job.
Eliminatus
AG
Right? I don't care what their personal beliefs are. I care that their food kicks a lot of ass. Which is does. I'll go back when it reopens and enjoy myself.
Stupe
S
Plenty of other restaurants in the area that are just as good. I'm not generally a boycott type person, but this is stupid. As others have said, the only people that they are affecting are their employers and their families.

If someone that worked for me pulled this, they would be looking for another job on Friday.
Eliminatus
AG
Stupe said:

Plenty of other restaurants in the area that are just as good. I'm not generally a boycott type person, but this is stupid. As others have said, the only people that they are affecting are their employers and their families.

If someone that worked for me pulled this, they would be looking for another job on Friday.

Exactly. Their actions are meaningless to everyone except them and their families. This day will pass and life will continue on as normal. With awesome breakfast food.

And I agree 100%. If they were my employees and decided to take a day off for this reason, then I would fire them too.

But they don't work for me. Ergo, not my problem. Not gonna waste energy lamenting their ideals. I'll just wait them out a day and then go back. I pay them for their food. Nothing more.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

Open border Marxists

Open borders are more a policy initiative of classical liberals and modern libertarians, both of which are far to the right of the modern republican party.
biobioprof
Eliminatus said:

Stupe said:

Exactly. Their actions are meaningless to everyone except them and their families. This day will pass and life will continue on as normal. With awesome breakfast food.

And I agree 100%. If they were my employees and decided to take a day off for this reason, then I would fire them too.

But they don't work for me. Ergo, not my problem. Not gonna waste energy lamenting their ideals. I'll just wait them out a day and then go back. I pay them for their food. Nothing more.
My impression from the story was that owners of the two local businesses mentioned were supporting it. One had a notice on the door, which doesn't sound like it's just employees.
Cromagnum
AG
Carnwellag2
Eliminatus said:

Right? I don't care what their personal beliefs are. I care that their food kicks a lot of ass. Which is does. I'll go back when it reopens and enjoy myself.
never been to La Botana - but looking at the pictures posted on facebook - i am glad i haven't. those pics do NOT look appetizing.
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

The protest comes in response to President Donald Trump and his one-month-old administration.
It's gonna be a long 4-8 years for some of these folks. Not even a month in yet. They should pace themselves.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Proudest Monkey is open.

I think I'll take my taco business there.
FlyRod
Will this be as effective as the great boycott that brought down the mighty Chick fil A?
InMyOpinion
Would be curious to know how many of those in construction didn't show up - I could see that making more of an impact than a restaraunt or other retail business closing.
CS78
Enjoyed some carnita tacos for lunch served by a nice Mexican lady that was happy to be at work today.
deh40
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Eliminatus said:

never been to La Botana - but looking at the pictures posted on facebook - i am glad i haven't. those pics do NOT look appetizing.

From what I remember, they were shut down by the health department last year.
isitjustme
AG
La Botana's food is actually pretty good, and I often mention them in this forum as a good breakfast place. But as a result of their participation in today's protest, I'm going to have to miss their breakfast tacos, menudo, and lunch/dinner meals for a good long while.
barbara314tx
Peppers cocina posted on Facebook they are closed today
deh40
AG
agrab86 said:

La Botana's food is actually pretty good, and I often mention them in this forum as a good breakfast place. But as a result of their participation in today's protest, I'm going to have to miss their breakfast tacos, menudo, and lunch/dinner meals for a good long while.
May be good, but I don't dine at places that get closed by the health department whether they close for an illegal alien protest or not.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.