New orchestra forming in B/CS

5,771 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by musicforall
musicforall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.facebook.com/brazoscivicorchestra/

Looking for more string players.
rc_cat
Wow - if I had played more recently than 40 years ago, that sounds like a lot of fun!
woodometer
AG
Only asking this out of curiosity. Does the area need more than one orchestra? I have no issue with it just wondering if there is some issue among some local musicians with the BVSO. More opportunity is always better.
AggiePhil
AG
I used to play with the BVSO on occasion but it's been many years. Wouldn't mind getting involved in a community band though.
musicforall
BVSO is professional now. It started as a community orchestra but many years ago went pro. There are people who want to play but not professionally. A&M has an orchestra as well, but I am not sure if it is a full orchestra or string orchestra.

With both school districts having strong string and band programs, it is nice if there is a place for the kids who want to try full orchestra.
musicforall
Playing Beethoven's 1st to get started. Next week, rehearsing 3rd and 4th mvmt.

Come join us - we are having fun. We need at least two more basses, percussionists, as many violas as we can find, and an oboe. Depending on what we play next, we will need more brass.

Practicing every Thursday, 7-9 pm.

http://www.brazoscivicorchestra.org/
musicforall
Still looking for an OBOE! Can use more violins/violas and a bass.

Would like to have back-up players and players for future pieces.
musicforall
Meeting tonight, 7-9. If you are a violist, just come on over! We have 2-3 now, we want more!

Still looking for an oboe and more basses, would like backup players for other positions.

Can contact us through our website or Facebook.

Brazos Civic Orchestra
musicforall
Rehearsing Beethoven 1st, Brahms Tragic Overture, and Pirates of the Caribbean (happy brass players!).

Still looking for more players, oboe, upper strings. No audition, come and play and see if we are a good match.

Concentrating on the Brahms this week. Join us - see our facebook page, Brazos Civic Orchestra.
Tailgate88
AG
Musicforall, are affiliated with the group by the same name or just happened to pick that username? They are a fantastic organization!

Musicforall.org
musicforall
Happenstance. But happily so.

STILL looking for an oboe player. We have one, but she is trying to play two parts!
studioone
you need a bagpiper?
musicforall
Only if the bagpiper can also play the oboe. Which is totally possible.
musicforall
Brazos Civic Orchestra is preparing for a end-of-semester concert - Mendelssohn 5th, Finlandia, and Star Wars!

We are looking for a trombone player, a trumpet player, 2nd violin and percussionists.

We rehearse on Thursdays, 7-9:15. See our Facebook page for more info. or feel free to ask me questions here.
Captn_Ag05
AG
If only I were in town more regularly. I'd love an excuse to break out my trombone.
musicforall
Well, how often are you in town the next three months?
musicforall
Woohoo! Got our trumpet player. Still looking for another trombone, and can use more percussion. Star Wars uses lots of percussion! May 5th, 7 pm concert!

musicforall
Getting ready for a concert on May 5. Rip-roaring Grieg Piano Concerto and Saint-Saens Bacchanale. Lots of fun music whether you are on the stage or in the audience.

We are looking for an English Horn player! If interested, reply here or on Brazos Civic Orchestra Facebook. Can always use another violinist, either first or second, and more percussionists, other than timpani. Time to get the music is now. Rehearsals on Thursday nights, 7-9:15.
musicforall
Winter Concert!

December 8, Sunday afternoon at 2:00

Rudder High School, Margaret Rudder Auditorium, Bryan

Great concert to take your budding musicians - full orchestra, harp, lots of brass and percussion.

And it's free!

brazoscivicorchestra.org
musicforall
Orchestra Open House and Play Along

This is your invitation to bring your instrument and sightread symphonic music together in a welcoming community. Any interested people welcome. This is our last rehearsal of 2019, and we are hoping you will join us for the fun of playing Beethoven and try out playing in our orchestra. No audition - just come play for the joy of it.

Where:
We meet in the orchestra hall at Davila Middle School campus in Bryan. Park in the large lot on the Texas Avenue side of school.

When:
Thursday, Dec 19 from 7 to 9pm

What:
The final movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

Who:
All orchestral strings, winds, brass, percussion.

Why:
To enhance the quality of life in the Brazos Valley, the Brazos Civic Orchestra provides free, classical music performances and playing opportunities such as this one. Visit www.BrazosCivicOrchestra.org for more information and to get involved.

musicforall
To answer questions: No, you do not need to bring a stand or the music. We will provide both. You do need your own instrument.
musicforall
Anyone know a contrabassoonist?
musicforall
Any trombone players? Beethoven's 5th fourth movement needs three trombones . . .
musicforall
And a great time was had by all!

Hopefully a lot of the people who visited will make plans to come back in the spring.

We still are looking for trombone players, a contrabasson and upper strings, especially violas!
Brewmaster
AG
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for you all. The wife and I would love to see a performance.
musicforall
Got our trombones! Having a blast with Beethoven's 5th, Night on Bald Mountain, Dark Knight. Still looking for a contrabassoon, string bass and violas. Gonna be a fun concert in April!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.