Restaurant Opinions

11,923 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cottonpatchag
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't want to clutter up the BCS Coming and Goings section so I am posting a topic to discuss what seems to be an oft heard lament regarding the level of dining options in the Brazos Valley.

Chicken strip/finger/tender places abound.
If you want some Que, there are a few.
Tex Mex places are around.

There have been cries for particular chains like Waffle House, and so on and so on, but with all of that and the restaurant business so competitive, you do have to wonder what truly works best here.

We once lived in a college town in the midwest that was in a city with about the same population as this area. The university size was a tad smaller than A&M, but not a lot smaller and there were some larger cities within driving distance as well. Besides the chain restaurants and fast food joints, there were a number of locally owned restaurants. Many were small cafes that catered to the lunch crowds on campus, others to blue collar workers etc, but there were also restaurants that had superb waitstaff, starched tableclothes, children not often seen, you get the idea. They were long time establishments, often family owned and while pricey, the experience was always pleasant ( anecdotal I realize, but these places weren't limping along on an old reputation).

So , given the different varied income levels in the BCS area, do you believe the number and type of restaurants accurately reflect what most residents desire? This could easily dissolve into a 'we need an Eggs n More, pronto' kind of discussion, so explain a solid reason beyond 'because I want one. ' A reason that factors the underserved population and whether there are already options for that here.

Discuss, (kindly please).

Edit to add: We have already done the chain food restaurant discussion, I was hoping more for a discussion regarding the types of customers that are underserved and if they truly are underserved (or is it unrealistic) or can local business owners create a good niche here if folks do not expect the same type of experience as a corporate business.
happyinBCS
Margie's for a great burger
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I was born, raised and lived in Beaumont for 56 years until moving here. Beaumont is closer to being SW Louisiana than SE Texas. That said, I can hardly find any decent cajun here. That goes for items used to prepare your own as well as restaurants. The place out in Wellborn that closed was the closest but alas it is gone.

Whenever I go back I always stock up on items that are non-existent here.
Oogway
Fair enough. So what, for you, would make a Cajun restaurant decent? Is it the dishes on the menu? The way the food is cooked (i.e. cooked with those particular items that you have been unable to find here? Not spicy enough with the unique Cajun taste?)
Do you see that as something that is medium priced fare or is there a price at which you would say, no way? IIRC amount of food and price point were discussed a fair bit with respect to the Cajun establishments here.

biobioprof
A few random thoughts.

I'm curious about where you're talking about and what kind of food was at the long-time family owned places you're talking about. I think of places like that as often being steak houses, italian, or "continental" in the way that the Texan was for many years - where a Caesar salad vs an iceberg wedge was a sign of sophistication. For comparison, I might argue that places like Sodolaks in Snook or Martins or Cenare's are kind of the equivalent of long term non-chain places. Or even Cafe Eccell.

From talking about blue collar workers and cafes, I'm wondering if the place where you were had a more distinct downtown area and more significant employers other than the University. Were the restaurants close to each other or spread out in the kind of sprawl we have here?

Living here continuously it's easy to forget how much things have changed. When we arrived in the early 90s, we joked that there must be a law requiring restaurants to have Chicken Fried Steak on the menu. IIRC there was a middle eastern place in Northgate that had CFS, and it was the lunch item every Monday in the Ag CaFe on W. Campus. Now, it's not that common and there are sushi places in B/CS.

The students are still a big part of the market. When we first moved here we were told that the students who are foodies drive to Houston, Austin, or Dallas and go out with their families and non-college friends. Don't know how much that is still true. Texans attitudes toward long distance driving are different than in other states, especially the ones where winter matters.

Chains are much more varied and better than they used to be, so the competition from those is harder to beat.

I bet the Texans in that midwestern college town long for BBQ and Tex-Mex, but can find plenty of chicken strips.

I agree that it's hard to understand why cajun doesn't do better. I suspect it's related to the economics of having a lot of dishes that have to be cooked over long periods of time. This is also an issue for Indian. Cajun may also be affected by the local consumption of seafood being too low.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Unless you have had true cajun I am at a loss in how to express it in words. Pappadeaux's is a cajun chain, not authentic in my opinion but close enough for most (I do not intend to belittle their quality). I miss the Thibodeaux's, etc that were local in the area.

My wife keeps telling me I should open up a place. That's not going to happen. I'll just make my own for family and friends.

MosesHallRAB83
AG
And more specific to one of your questions yes, it is the dishes that are available.

As an example of the lack of cajun "knowledge" here I will re-tell a little story when we went to Swamp Tells not too long after it opened. We overheard a group at the table next to us ask what was shrimp etouffee. The waitress attempted to explain that it was a shrimp dish that was made with "roe"/"row" (roux).

I am just surprised that there is not more offerings for authentic cajun in the area. Probably has to do with location (closer to central Texas/BBQ) most likely.
91_Aggie
AG
I love me spicy food. Mexican. Thai. But there is some spice used in Cajun food that is not palatable to me. It taste like dirt to me.

But that's a small sample size. I certainly didn't grow up eating Cajun.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I'd suspect that was something from a non-cajun place. Almost all seasoning in true cajun is based on the trinity and some basic spices.
eloc62
OK, my 2 cents on this thread

first of all, if you ate any cajun food that had something that tasted like dirt, you did not eat true cajun food! cajun food, when done right is the best! wish we had a good place here. 2nd, I am so done with the chain restaurants. their food is so bland and under-seasond, and over-priced because they have to cater to the masses, and I understand that business model because it works. good for them. I prefer to visit smaller, local places where the owner/chef might actually be present. lot's of good places to eat here if you stay away from the chain restaurants and visit the locals, just wish we had more of those type places.
biobioprof
Have you been to Remnant of Nawlins in the gas station/convenience store on Holleman?

Curious about your opinion.
Frio Cielo
What's the opinion of the Cajun place in Carlos?

I do agree that few restaruants put enough spice in most all dishes. They are catering to the masses who don't know what well cooked and well seasoned dishes taste like.

As far as locally owned food opportunities, you could probably eat at a separate restaurant for a month and not eat in a chain restaurant in the area if you went out of your way for restaurants. And many of the locally owned restaurants have so many options of main dishes that you could probably go for a calendar year w/o entering a chain restaurant.

Oogway
Biobioprof--yes, Cafe Eccell, Cenares, Christopher's are what I am talking about. If you include Veritas and some others, are there enough of that style of dining in BCS? You tell me; I was asking the question based on personal frame of reference to other places, although as you pointed out: BCS has a unique situation that developed due to the way the twin cities grew. The question grew out of the discussion on the Comings and Goings regarding the Brazilian Steakhouse comments and how much people were willing to pay for a plate o' food.

'Blue collar' may have been off-the-mark a little. Mostly I was referring to what I call the 'diner' establishments, even if they don't serve chicken fried steak. Little places like Coco Loco, La Familia, Hullabaloo. Places where folks go to grab their lunch or dinner w/o a lot of fuss. They seem to appear more in pocket neighborhoods, but as you pointed out, the sprawl of large subdivisions (not exactly what you said, I know) does seem to hinder their inclusion. I know very little about the business side of restaurants like some of you, but I imagine having to develop a large pad site with parking and such is daunting at the real estate prices that certain parts of the two towns command. Not a complaint, mind you, but it does influence local dining options.

As far as sprawl, weather, etc. it didn't influence me so much, but I didn't work downtown nor on the campus as my employment was in a business park on the outskirts of the city. There were plenty of dining options, some within walking distance but the 'mixed-use' development model may have been more popular and doesn't seem to be the case here.

Frio Cielo, I do think there are a lot of locally owned establishments that serve some pretty fine food. Getting the word out about them and where they are and what they serve and why you like them is just as important as the places that we post about that don't always live up to our expectations.

So back to one of the original questions, is there another niche, authentic Cajun notwithstanding, that may be underserved?
Cancelled
AG
College Station is a weird place with regards to food. We've always had a Cajun place that stays open for about 2 years and disappears.

I've said it before that the people are looking for something. They don't know what they want, but they want it.

Perfect example is Shipwreck. Nice place. But, I'm sorry, tilapia is crap. You put that on a menu and I'm not interested. Again, a well run place, but I think people are looking for more than the same old same old, i.e. Jalapeo Poppers. But, people line up in droves for tilapia.

Another example are these "steakhouses". They are not good, but people around here speak about them with such nostalgia.

People go visit other SEC schools and really like the authentic restaurants in those areas. I don't think we have anything remotely close. You can't just manufacture authenticity by putting up some old license plates and deer heads.

I think it's because we don't have a culinary identity here. I'm sorry, but TAMU is not in Cajun country. Our identity shouldn't be Cajun. And while we are geographically south, we aren't Dixie. I think a good restaurant would fusion theme would work well here.

Just my early morning ramblings...

Oogway
Ramblings are good! We may not all agree on what we enjoy w/respect to the type of food we eat, but discussion about what is working, doesn't work, or what is missing helps us get to know our community.

Frio Cielo
Oogway said:

Biobioprof--yes, Cafe Eccell, Cenares, Christopher's are what I am talking about. If you include Veritas and some others, are there enough of that style of dining in BCS? You tell me; I was asking the question based on personal frame of reference to other places, although as you pointed out: BCS has a unique situation that developed due to the way the twin cities grew. The question grew out of the discussion on the Comings and Goings regarding the Brazilian Steakhouse comments and how much people were willing to pay for a plate o' food.

'Blue collar' may have been off-the-mark a little. Mostly I was referring to what I call the 'diner' establishments, even if they don't serve chicken fried steak. Little places like Coco Loco, La Familia, Hullabaloo. Places where folks go to grab their lunch or dinner w/o a lot of fuss. They seem to appear more in pocket neighborhoods, but as you pointed out, the sprawl of large subdivisions (not exactly what you said, I know) does seem to hinder their inclusion. I know very little about the business side of restaurants like some of you, but I imagine having to develop a large pad site with parking and such is daunting at the real estate prices that certain parts of the two towns command. Not a complaint, mind you, but it does influence local dining options.

As far as sprawl, weather, etc. it didn't influence me so much, but I didn't work downtown nor on the campus as my employment was in a business park on the outskirts of the city. There were plenty of dining options, some within walking distance but the 'mixed-use' development model may have been more popular and doesn't seem to be the case here.

Frio Cielo, I do think there are a lot of locally owned establishments that serve some pretty fine food. Getting the word out about them and where they are and what they serve and why you like them is just as important as the places that we post about that don't always live up to our expectations.

So back to one of the original questions, is there another niche, authentic Cajun notwithstanding, that may be underserved?

I tjhink one of the problems is that BCS is larger in population then there is for the demand for local owned unique foods. We are a blend of about 10 cultures and population types. Sure we have over 200,000 persons, but 80,000 +/- are college students who either are not looking very often if ever for quality dining at the prices necessary to supply it. Then you have a large Hispanic and other ethnic group lower income, population in BCS who are not looking to dine at a Christophers, a Veritas, etc. Add to that a lot of people are economically just getting by and regardless of food quality, it's a lot less expensive to go through a chicken, hamburger, etc. drive through for $15 or so for two persons than to go to a dining restaurant for $30 to $40 for two persons.

I or we go to one of the three Soul food restaurants most every week. All three have enough variety that you could almost rotate the three restaurant's and pick out difference foods each time and not have to repeat over three weeks.

We just dont' have enough people familiar with or wanting Cajun foods to support a nice authentic restaurant and the ones that we have had were marginal or mis-managed. I loved the one down Wellborn and went there a few times and loved it but the food was inconsistent in quality and a couple of times the wait was long. It was too small of a dining area. The last time I went there we were put at a table right by the door and as we ate we had about 10 persons as close at two feet to us watching us eat. Just wasn't a pleasant dining experience for the $70 we spent. Even with that, I wish they were still there.

A good, well managed Cajun restaurant would do well but it would have to survive for two or three years to develop a customer base. The problem would be now, if Poppadoux does come it, they would hurt a locally owned restaurant. The average person just wants the chain restaurants more than they want foods as authentic as possible.
FlyRod
I think the pool of "under served" customers here is VERY small. Such folks would be the ones who would like hipster, eclectic, "small plates" kinds of places.

Back in the Triassic Age, Charlie Mac posted as to whether such places could make it here, and the answerwas an emphatic "NO."
eloc62
biobioprof said:

Have you been to Remnant of Nawlins in the gas station/convenience store on Holleman?

Curious about your opinion.
I have been there twice. it is ok.I do really like their fried boudin balls.
eloc62
Frio Cielo said:

What's the opinion of the Cajun place in Carlos?

I do agree that few restaruants put enough spice in most all dishes. They are catering to the masses who don't know what well cooked and well seasoned dishes taste like.

As far as locally owned food opportunities, you could probably eat at a separate restaurant for a month and not eat in a chain restaurant in the area if you went out of your way for restaurants. And many of the locally owned restaurants have so many options of main dishes that you could probably go for a calendar year w/o entering a chain restaurant.

never been to the one in Carlos, but now that my daughter lives out there i may have to try it.
nonag97
I wish we had an authentic Greek restaurant here.

It's also amazing we don't have an authentic Mexican establishment. There used to be one tucked back inside a neighborhood in Bryan. I always forget the name but it was dang delicious. And I'm not talking about street tacos. And before anyone mentions El Sol, they don't get my vote. Anyone who globs down refried beans and rice on every plate is not the type of authentic Mexican I'm talking about.

Also wish we had [another] good ol' fashioned mom and pop diner.
FlyRod
Tampico. Yep, it was great. I agree, we have nothing approximating a true Mexican restaurant here beyond street tacos. The shrimp cocktail at El Vale was to die for, but that was "border food" (which is a good thing IMO).

A Greek restaurant would crush it here...I don't understand why we don't have one either.

The original Deluxe Diner was a gem.
MiMi
S
Quote:

A Greek restaurant would crush it here...I don't understand why we don't have one either.
There used to be a Greek restaurant on Welsh Ave in the very early 2000's. They had great gyros. It closed and Coco Loco is now in that location.
KidDoc
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

There used to be a Greek restaurant on Welsh Ave in the very early 2000's. They had great gyros. It closed and Coco Loco is now in that location.
I was @ A&M 91-95 and loved those gyros from that spot. Was not happy it closed.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
queso1 said:

College Station is a weird place with regards to food. We've always had a Cajun place that stays open for about 2 years and disappears.

I've said it before that the people are looking for something. They don't know what they want, but they want it.

Perfect example is Shipwreck. Nice place. But, I'm sorry, tilapia is crap. You put that on a menu and I'm not interested. Again, a well run place, but I think people are looking for more than the same old same old, i.e. Jalapeo Poppers. But, people line up in droves for tilapia.

Another example are these "steakhouses". They are not good, but people around here speak about them with such nostalgia.

People go visit other SEC schools and really like the authentic restaurants in those areas. I don't think we have anything remotely close. You can't just manufacture authenticity by putting up some old license plates and deer heads.

I think it's because we don't have a culinary identity here. I'm sorry, but TAMU is not in Cajun country. Our identity shouldn't be Cajun. And while we are geographically south, we aren't Dixie. I think a good restaurant would fusion theme would work well here.

I disagree with you about the steakhouses. Republic, Christopher's, and Veritas are all very good gourmet restaurants.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madaman
there are several Mediterranean places that serve very similar food to "greek". you may be missing a few flavors, but it's pretty similar for all but the pickiest of people.
gopitt
I travel all over the country and dine out extensively and two of the best restaurants I have ever dined at are The Republic and Christopher's. Both are outstanding and would stand out even in cities like Dallas and Houston. B/CS is lucky to have both.
biobioprof
KidDoc said:

queso1 said:

I disagree with you about the steakhouses. Republic, Christopher's, and Veritas are all very good gourmet restaurants.
Based on the reference to nostalgia, I think it's referring more to places like Sodolaks, the old Longhorn, and the Country Inn... some of which are outside B/CS.
KidDoc
AG
biobioprof said:

KidDoc said:

queso1 said:

Based on the reference to nostalgia, I think it's referring more to places like Sodolaks, the old Longhorn, and the Country Inn... some of which are outside B/CS.
Ah ok gotcha! Yeah I don't get steaks at this places but you are probably correct.
Cancelled
AG
KidDoc said:

biobioprof said:

KidDoc said:

queso1 said:

Ah ok gotcha! Yeah I don't get steaks at this places but you are probably correct.

Yep. I was speaking specifically about 1 and 3 and they place in Snook. I never understood the love for these places.
K2T2
The times, they are a changin', but vegetarians and especially vegans are still pretty underserved. A lot of places (especially nicer places, looking at you Christopher's, Veritas, and The Republic) lack real vegetarian entrees and usually have nothing vegan besides maybe a severely modified salad or mash up of sides. A pile of cheese isn't an entree, it's just lazy.
PS3D
FlyRod said:

I think the pool of "under served" customers here is VERY small. Such folks would be the ones who would like hipster, eclectic, "small plates" kinds of places.

Back in the Triassic Age, Charlie Mac posted as to whether such places could make it here, and the answerwas an emphatic "NO."
Arguably, I think one of the problems of the CM restaurants was that the restaurants were in bad locations, whether it be a strip center where a revolving door of restaurants and bars have all failed (RIP Swamp Tails), an "upscale" takeout pizza place where the neighborhood was all college students or blue collar families, or a mall with a shrinking food court that couldn't even negotiate to keep a Chick-fil-a.
FlyRod
I wasn't making a point about C-Mac's places. He had asked, more than once, whether a tapas-type place would make it here. A VERY tiny number of folks such as myself would love such a place. But most would not due to the quantity-value-price issue.

The "under-served community" the OP was asking about, IMO, is represented by people who want such places, or to put it another way, wish the sorts of places one finds in Austin, Dallas, or Houston would make their way here. Which isn't going to happen.

K2T2 I totally agree, and that would be another under-served community...possibly bigger than the one I noted.
mason12
AG
I grew up in Shreveport/Bossier. I miss the good diner food from Stawn's. They have three restaurants. One by Centenary College, one on Youree Drive, and one on Airline Drive in Bossier.

http://strawnseatshop.com/Strawn's%20Eat%20Shop%20%20Menu.pdf

http://strawnseatshop.com/Strawn's%20Also%20Menu.pdf

TXAG 05
AG
K2T2 said:

The times, they are a changin', but vegetarians and especially vegans are still pretty underserved. A lot of places (especially nicer places, looking at you Christopher's, Veritas, and The Republic) lack real vegetarian entrees and usually have nothing vegan besides maybe a severely modified salad or mash up of sides. A pile of cheese isn't an entree, it's just lazy.

Is Souper Salad not open any more?
MiMi
S
Quote:

Is Souper Salad not open any more?
It's been closed for several years. Napa Flats is now in that location (Texas Ave/Harvey Road)
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.