Hiring Freeze at A&M

12,507 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Captn_Ag05
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/31/texas-gov-abbott-freezes-hiring-state-agencies/

Looks like the Governor has put the brakes on hiring state employees through August. At least for state-funded positions.

Quote:

Universities are included in the freeze, according to Abbott's office. But an official there did say that positions that are funded by money that didn't come from state appropriations are exempt. Only about 30 percent of the money going into public four-year universities in Texas is state funding, so it's likely that some university hiring will be able to continue.
Frio Cielo
I don't have an issue with a hiring freeze. Private companies across the state, especially in the oil and gas industry have laid off employees and many have closed their doors. State government needs to tighten the belts also.

A&M and the state has gone through many hiring freezes and RIF's in the past and has survived. It will again.

Oogway
I am sure it will 'survive,' but considering the increased enrollment over the last two years, the faculty/staff to student ratio in some departments might get interesting.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
My problem is that it's such a blanket requirement. There should be an exception process. My dept already is pretty lean and having to pay some overtime. If we lose staff through retirement, or other reasons, I can't backfill. Our work doesn't decrease, only the resources I have available to accomplish it. No problem at all with freezing new positions. But we just went through this process a few years ago and have been operating very lean ever since.
Rex Racer
AG
Only 22% of A&M's budget is State funding. So it remains to be seen how much this affects the Big School.
FlyRod
22%? I was told 12% by someone up the totem pole there...
Rex Racer
AG
Rex Racer said:

Going by what my Director said this morning. He may be off. It's all available on the web, though.

Looks more like 17% of total revenue, based on the budget. Unless I'm reading that wrong.

And this says 20%. But that's a flyer, not official.
FlyRod
Interesting...I'm going to do some digging myself.

Not that I approve of this but it could be dramatically worse. I've known people at other universities who went through furloughs, e.g. working without getting paid. Texas has been pretty good at keeping its fiscal house in order, and I'm happy to take a hit now and then to keep it that way.

Might be an impact on the local economy, but probably not a big one at this stage.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
John Raney stated the budget issue would not hurt TAMU but would other state schools this morning on WTAW. He also hinted at higher taxes so enjoy.
biobioprof
Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

Going by what my Director said this morning. He may be off. It's all available on the web, though.

Looks more like 17% of total revenue, based on the budget. Unless I'm reading that wrong.

Whatever the actual number, I believe that just citing a % is pretty meaningless. If I get a new grant that allows me to hire some more research assistants, that lowers the % of state funding overall, but does little to reduce the part of the budget that pays faculty and support staff. If anything, it increases the work load for the staff. Maybe the IDC return helps somewhat but State funds will be involved when an academic advisor is needed to replace someone who leaves.

At the other end of the pay scale, we are currently searching for a Provost, and the VC/Dean for Ag is stepping down. Does the freeze affect those positions? Pretty sure those involve State funds.

But it's all OK because the TMF will cover the new defensive backs coach.
Oogway
What I was told were that the first round of exemptions were denied but that Sharp was going to try again since this can affect lecturer positions and graduate TAs etc that are not on Federal $$. As SKF noted, a lot of Depts. are pretty lean already.
Rex Racer
AG
Oogway said:

What I was told were that the first round of exemptions were denied but that Sharp was going to try again since this can affect lecturer positions and graduate TAs etc that are not on Federal $$. As SKF noted, a lot of Depts. are pretty lean already.
We are *very* lean at A&M. It was just a few years ago that we had to cut 5 percent of our budget a couple of years in a row and nobody got raises for a couple of years. And we've been through a few hiring freezes, as well.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
We also went through the PWC consulting project a few years ago as well. Fat was trimmed back then, and it needed to be. I don't disagree with that. But since then, we've been operating thin already while continuing to take on more work due to growth and expansion. I'm losing one to retirement and if I can't backfill our risk exposure increases.
biobioprof
Rex Racer said:

Oogway said:

We are *very* lean at A&M. It was just a few years ago that we had to cut 5 percent of our budget a couple of years in a row and nobody got raises for a couple of years. And we've been through a few hiring freezes, as well.
Like any large entity, A&M has a mix of areas where fat could still be trimmed and areas where things are too lean.

Across the board hiring freezes are too blunt of an instrument to trim where needed, IMO.
Prescient
biobioprof said:

Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

Whatever the actual number, I believe that just citing a % is pretty meaningless. If I get a new grant that allows me to hire some more research assistants, that lowers the % of state funding overall, but does little to reduce the part of the budget that pays faculty and support staff. If anything, it increases the work load for the staff. Maybe the IDC return helps somewhat but State funds will be involved when an academic advisor is needed to replace someone who leaves.

At the other end of the pay scale, we are currently searching for a Provost, and the VC/Dean for Ag is stepping down. Does the freeze affect those positions? Pretty sure those involve State funds.

I get you're bitter that athletics can hire but academics can't. It's not true though. Athletics is using non-state money to hire the football staff. Academics can hire just as athletics can, as you note regarding receipt of a new research grant. Athletics is not bound to the hiring freeze in the same way you aren't. They can't hire new administrative staff or support staff that is paid by the state any more than you can. For what it's worth, the Texas A&M Foundation provided the University with more than $100 million for academic activities last year. The 12th Man Foundation doesn't raise REMOTELY as much for athletics.

The fact is that the State is facing a $3 BILLION budget shortfall. On a $140 billion budget, it's not all that much, but it's still a lot of money. I'd hate to be a legislator. Over 1/3 of the State budget goes healthcare. 25% goes to Education. Pensions (including TRS) account for 13% and none of the other categories reach double digit percentages. There's just not a lot of room to move around. The budget looks better for next year, so maybe the legislators will be willing to dip in to the rainy day fund. I see this freeze as a preventative measure, not a "the sky is falling" measure.

We've got to find a way to get a handle on the healthcare costs. That's what is killing us.
biobioprof
Prescient said:

biobioprof said:

Rex Racer said:

Rex Racer said:

I get you're bitter that athletics can hire but academics can't. It's not true though. Athletics is using non-state money to hire the football staff. Academics can hire just as athletics can, as you note regarding receipt of a new research grant. Athletics is not bound to the hiring freeze in the same way you aren't. They can't hire new administrative staff or support staff that is paid by the state any more than you can. For what it's worth, the Texas A&M Foundation provided the University with more than $100 million for academic activities last year. The 12th Man Foundation doesn't raise REMOTELY as much for athletics.

The fact is that the State is facing a $3 BILLION budget shortfall. On a $140 billion budget, it's not all that much, but it's still a lot of money. I'd hate to be a legislator. Over 1/3 of the State budget goes healthcare. 25% goes to Education. Pensions (including TRS) account for 13% and none of the other categories reach double digit percentages. There's just not a lot of room to move around. The budget looks better for next year, so maybe the legislators will be willing to dip in to the rainy day fund. I see this freeze as a preventative measure, not a "the sky is falling" measure.

We've got to find a way to get a handle on the healthcare costs. That's what is killing us.
Lol, I can see where my post could be read as bitter about that, but in fact I'm glad we have a new DB coach. And it would clearly be much worse to freeze hiring in a way that included TMF and grant funds.

That said, when there is a budget shortfall, I am OK with higher ed budgets bearing our part of the burden. But IMO, a freeze on budgets makes more sense than a freeze on hiring. Of course, we would need to make sure the university doesn't take a "Washington monument strategy", but in theory that's what oversight is for. A hiring freeze could actually be politically worse by not allowing flexibility to deal with shifting demand from things like how Engineering is trying to grow faster than than the University average.
Jaxson11
AG
An across the board hiring freeze is such a weak political move. That's more about headlines than governing. Just tell agencies to cut their budgets by a certain percentage and let each agency determine which positions are essential.
FlyRod
I believe this was done several months ago...TAMU was asked to cut by a certain %. This happens with some regularity.

During the last big one, we cut while Tech did not. They paid a heavy price for that.
Average Joe
AG
This would happen the day after I apply for a position on campus.
FlyRod
Confirmed that at least some searches already underway will be allowed to proceed.
AgySkeet06
AG
Jaxson11 said:

An across the board hiring freeze is such a weak political move. That's more about headlines than governing. Just tell agencies to cut their budgets by a certain percentage and let each agency determine which positions are essential.
That is what is happening already. Many agencies of the TAMU System were told to prepare budgets in the event of a 6% decrease in funding. Some agencies are able to counter this cut by shifting more soft money into the payroll but those agencies who do not have a strong outside revenue source will have to freeze open positions or terminate some employees. As a state employee for the last 8 years I've seen my salary from 75% state funded to 50% state funded. Its meant i've had to work harder to bring in funding. I dont expect any free ride just because I work for the "government"
Average Joe
AG
FlyRod said:

Confirmed that at least some searches already underway will be allowed to proceed.
That's a little relieving.
aggiepublius
AG
FlyRod said:

But definitely not all.

Now hearing that some departments and agencies have been told to not to extend postings and hold off on offers no matter the source of funds. One source passed on that it also includes student workers and grad research assistants.

It appears there may be a review process but everything will have to go to system office.
theycallmemrtibbs
The silver lining of this freeze is that all the folks they gave bonuses to for retiring can't immediately come back and start double-dipping. At least it will make it a little more difficult.
FlyRod
Do you have data on how many folks were doing that? I'm curious...
Oogway
A&M online classes may be some departments only resource to stay solvent then.
theycallmemrtibbs
Data is merely anecdotal. But I personally know at least three that had this plan. One pretty high ranking executive in HR ironically.
aggiepublius
AG
Looks like A&M is worried about summer classes being affected.

Quote:

"Among our critical needs, summer school is at the top of our list," said Laylan Copelin, a spokesman for the Texas A & M University System, which has 11 campuses, including the flagship in College Station. "Some of our schools typically hire adjunct professors to teach summer courses because it is cheaper and they are necessary to meet the demand. If we don't get a waiver, we are studying whether or not we can offer summer classes. Many of those classes are critical for students to be able to graduate on time."

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/texas-universities-comply-with-abbott-questionable-hiring-freeze/QddLblNTy7keHrmQJP68IN/

joeagg321
AG
Is the hiring freeze going to continue past August? Seems like the state government gave TAMU what they wanted by not changing the current distribution arrangement, but I haven't seen any word out of the University related to resuming hiring following the summer. Anyone have any news?
armymom
Not the first and won't be the last!
Average Joe
AG
They seem to be moving funds around to hire for necessary positions. Got an email to see if I was still interested in a position that was previously frozen until last week.
justalocal
Average Joe said:

They seem to be moving funds around to hire for necessary positions. Got an email to see if I was still interested in a position that was previously frozen until last week.
Is the position grant funded? I know one exception to the hiring freeze is positions that are funded by outside sources such as grant monies.
Average Joe
AG
justalocal said:

Average Joe said:

Is the position grant funded? I know one exception to the hiring freeze is positions that are funded by outside sources such as grant monies.

It wasn't originally. They moved money from other sources. It was an IT position for one of the colleges.
joeagg321
AG
I have heard that the hiring freeze is being lifted on September 1. Can anyone confirm that?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Unless it gets extended
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.