CSISD Elementary School #10 - It's Happening!

8,090 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PS3D
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The New Development List for this week revealed CSISD's 10th elementary school, at the northwest corner of Rock Prairie Road West and Holleman Drive South. It also shows Holleman Drive West being turned into four lanes with a median (at least until the end of the drawing, possibly as far as North Dowling Road) as well as widening Rock Prairie Road West (finally). While there will be school speed limits, can't say I'm unhappy about widening and rebuilding the road...it's barely been touched since that segment opened in late 2004 and the fracking traffic/other traffic has significantly damaged the road.
Oogway
Great! Good news for folks in that area.
Maybe #10 will complete the cycle of elementaries named after geographic features and be named West Creek...just kidding...
CS78
Even more reason they need to address the traffic issues with an overpass at Holleman & 2818 before ever moving forward with a school.
Oogway
No offense, but if the District waited for that to happen, the students would be graduating...college. I seem to recall a thread with discussion on how much roads like overpasses cost and the price would make people queasy. Any suggestions for an optimal way to pay for it?
CS78
Oogway said:

Any suggestions for an optimal way to pay for it?
We could start by not wasting money coating it in cheesy overpriced lick and stick stone veneer.

Or we could not waste money planting trees on top of the retaining walls that mature at 120+ft tall and will just have to be cut down and replaced with new ones way before they should be.

That's just a couple items of waste that pop up without even digging. That intersection is the number one traffic problem and accident zone in our entire town. Its terribly unsafe and a giant PITA. The worst part is, it was obvious 10+ years ago but there has been a total failure to act over a long period.

PS3D
[response to deleted post]
95_Aggie
AG
Maybe Donald will give us infrastructure funds to build an overpass there ... like Obama did for the Barron Rd overpass. TxDOT hurry up and get your plans ready.
SARATOGA
that is great. We are achieving the CS city ideal of 150,000 students spread among 53 elementary schools, 4 Junior Highs and 2 High schools ! I can't wait until I have to drive across town so my junior in high school can take a chemistry class with 2500 other kids !

(I obviously have no problem with another elementary, but we need more junior highs and high schools, and they need to be further out and hwy 6 shouldn't be a dividing line anymore)

Tailgate88
AG
Well, Intermediate #3 comes on line this fall, Jr. High #3 comes on line next fall (although they are going to have to bust a hump since it took so long to get permitted)... and I think HS #3 is scheduled for 2024? Can we wait that long for a third high school?
The Original AG 76
AG
PS3D said:

The New Development List for this week revealed CSISD's 10th elementary school, at the northwest corner of Rock Prairie Road West and Holleman Drive South. It also shows Holleman Drive West being turned into four lanes with a median (at least until the end of the drawing, possibly as far as North Dowling Road) as well as widening Rock Prairie Road West (finally). While there will be school speed limits, can't say I'm unhappy about widening and rebuilding the road...it's barely been touched since that segment opened in late 2004 and the fracking traffic/other traffic has significantly damaged the road.
any link to the road part of your info ? Couldn't care less about schools but am very interested in any work planned for the Dowling , Holleman and RP areas. There is a huge need for improved roads in that area thanks to the thousands of new student housing units being built.
thanks
SARATOGA
Quote:

...and I think HS #3 is scheduled for 2024? Can we wait that long for a third high school?

There are 3 possible answers.

1) Proper strategic planning would have planned for a 3rd high school in 2006, with doors opening in Fall 2016
2) We need a 3rd high school (say somewhere south of Indian Lakes) now. Right now.
3) By 2024, we'll need a 4th high school.

I'm not sure if CS planning exists or is asleep at the wheel. Which is it ?
SARATOGA
also - quick question about said 2024 school which will be the 3rd, but should've been the 4th.....

My kid will start high school in 2025. Will I be driving her PAST 1 or 2 schools to go to Consol with the continued FUBAR zoning that uses hwy 6 as a major dividing line ?
Tailgate88
aginresearch
AG
Just a note on the Holleman/2818 overpass. The city of College Station was offered an opportunity to finance the cost of the overpass when TXDOT was building the 2818/Wellborn interchange. The city would have had to pay nothing upfront and costs would have been reduced. The city chose to decline the offer.

It's possible the cost of the u-turn lanes at Rock Prairie and HWY 6 would have been roughly what the city would have owed on the overpass. Perhaps a bit more but nothing crazy. The question is would you have traded the u-turn lanes for an overpass at Holleman/2818? I know my answer.
PS3D
The Original AG 76 said:

PS3D said:

any link to the road part of your info ? Couldn't care less about schools but am very interested in any work planned for the Dowling , Holleman and RP areas. There is a huge need for improved roads in that area thanks to the thousands of new student housing units being built.
thanks
http://cstx.gov/modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=23798

It's under January. The site plan clearly shows Holleman with medians.
SARATOGA
Every overpass needs the U-Turns. All of them.

How do you choose between 1 needed infrastructure item and another ?

You don't.

You prioritize the order, but they all need to be done.
TAMU1990
AG
Consol is only at 75% capacity and with stagnant growth. They lost about 30 kids.
befitter
SARATOGA said:

Quote:

...and I think HS #3 is scheduled for 2024? Can we wait that long for a third high school?

There are 3 possible answers.

1) Proper strategic planning would have planned for a 3rd high school in 2006, with doors opening in Fall 2016
2) We need a 3rd high school (say somewhere south of Indian Lakes) now. Right now.
3) By 2024, we'll need a 4th high school.

I'm not sure if CS planning exists or is asleep at the wheel. Which is it ?
City of College Station does not plan.
Stupe
S
I can't even imagine how those geniuses at CSISD are going to decide who goes to that school.

PS3D
Stupe said:

I can't even imagine how those geniuses at CSISD are going to decide who goes to that school.

Right now, it's zoned for Greens Prairie, except catty-corner to the site is Spring Creek. There will also be a large new subdivision just north of ES10, so there's that. But yes, at some point in the near future, there will be another long and angry thread about the inevitable redestricting. Right now, we don't even know the name of the new school or when it will open.
txgardengirl
ES#10 is scheduled to open 2018-2019 and add needed capacity at that time.

It will be interesting to see if the growth of students continues - with the lack of affordable housing, it seems that the numbers aren't increasing as fast as predicted this year.

There is available capacity at Consol as Wendy1990 stated - and with the changes to boundaries kicking in next year, you should start to see some shifting in numbers. Not to mention the changing in coaching staffs that will come into play.

Grab your popcorn everyone
Builder93
AG
I always look forward to new schools being built. We need more buildings that look like minimum security prisons with dead zones between the building and the barbed wire fence by the road.
montegobay
This is interesting that we just keep building. I was told by a teacher in the district just last night that 2 elementary schools in town are running about 13-15 for average class sizes. So, in certain zones, there aren't even enough kids to fill classrooms. How about shifting some zoning rather than continuing to build????
BigBubba
AG
montegobay said:

This is interesting that we just keep building. I was told by a teacher in the district just last night that 2 elementary schools in town are running about 13-15 for average class sizes. So, in certain zones, there aren't even enough kids to fill classrooms. How about shifting some zoning rather than continuing to build????
I am pretty sure the decision to build is based on the overall capacity of the district, the growth trends and predicted future growth. If they thought shuffling around some kids would fix the future needs then they would do it. But, while a couple schools might be low right now I am pretty sure the district will continue its high growth rate for the foreseeable future.

I imagine Spring Creek is one of the two schools that might be smaller but that should change in the next couple of years with all the building going on around the school. I also think the school board tries to hold off on any rezoning until a new school is built. Everybody gets so pissed off when it changes so they don't want to do it until they must.

I know the district does move teachers around from school to school if needed. The grade my son is in at Pebble Creek is a little smaller so they went from 6 teachers to 5 this year and moved a teacher to a different campus.
montegobay
Spring Creek is over capacity! The schools with low enrollment are some of the older schools.
PS3D
montegobay said:

Spring Creek is over capacity! The schools with low enrollment are some of the older schools.
Interesting. In the next few years CSISD should seriously consider closing down or reconfiguring schools as demographics change.
BigBubba
AG
montegobay said:

You might have some bad information. I found two sources of data that you can review.

The first is the state campus report cards for each school. The report cards list school enrollment and average class size by grade. None of the class sizes at any campus for any grade are in the 13-15 range. You can find them on the CSISD website at -> CSISD State Campus Report Cards. These are from the 2015-2016 school year.

I also found a slide in the rezoning information on the CSISD website. There was one slide that included school capacities and enrollment. You can find that here -> Rezoning Information

The information on the school report cards is different than the slides so put both in the chart below to compare. I am guessing the slide might be 2016-2017 information.

Looking at either set of data, Spring Creek is still second from the bottom in enrollment and NOT over capacity.

BigBubba
AG
BigBubba said:

I am curious if the big drop at Pebble Creek was due to the townhomes on Southwest Parkway that were low income housing and converted to Student housing. They are zoned to Pebble Creek.
txgardengirl
BB - you are correct. A large number of children that were bussed in to Pebble Creek from Windsor Pointe have disappeared due to WP no longer accepting HUD vouchers. PC will grow again soon as the neighborhood at Lick Creek picks up steam and then the speedway development. The speedway will one day have it's own school (likely ES#11) but not until the houses are there.

Spring Creek isn't at capacity or over by any means - but they are steadily growing with Castlegate 2 filling up with young families.
birdman
It was Windsor Point no longer being bussed to Pebble Creek.

But plenty of families moved out of their zone, strictly because of schools.
CS78
birdman said:

But plenty of families moved out of their zone, strictly because of schools.
Bingo. ISD stuck it to the residents with their social engineering. Free market responded by young families refocusing west of Hwy 6.
Summer Breeze
AG
The numbers posted above are from last year.
montegobay
Sorry, by over capacity, I meant with the teachers and rooms being used now. All classes in every grade level are at 22 or 23. The do have empty rooms waiting to be used, but those do not have teachers available. The talk is that teachers will be shifted from some of the steadily decreasing schools to SC next year.
BigBubba
AG
montegobay said:

Sorry, by over capacity, I meant with the teachers and rooms being used now. All classes in every grade level are at 22 or 23. The do have empty rooms waiting to be used, but those do not have teachers available. The talk is that teachers will be shifted from some of the steadily decreasing schools to SC next year.
Probably so. They do that every year as needed. As long as the classes are not getting to large and they are not having to bring in portable buildings, then I really think the school district tries to avoid rezoning until they build a new school. Best not to piss off people until you really have to.

txgardengirl
CS78 - there was some movement for the pretty high school (which is now overcrowded too) but a lot of it is that there are not starter homes for young families on the east side. There aren't many anywhere tbh, but there is not a home that you can buy and go to PC elementary for under $290 normally. There also aren't any homes on the east side that are out of city limits (engineered on one acre lots to avoid city taxes)

It's normal for the district to not add classes until they exceed the maximum number in all classes at that grade level. There are always teachers available in the waiting pool - they just won't open a new classroom unless there are enough bodies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.