Gym - no crowds

5,794 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ClassicArnold
txcajun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I moved from Plano to Austin, then Austin to College Station, so accustomed to a lot of options when it comes to gyms. I design software for a living, but train for natural men's physique competitions on the side. I've tried a few gyms in the area (Gold's College Station, Gold's Bryan, Aggieland Fitness Dome, Anytime Fitness College Station), but they all seem to be relatively busy after 2PM on most week days. I find that odd since I work from home, and I can't imagine all of these people do the same, but then I realized most of these people are probably college kids. Any suggestions on places that aren't crowded? I try to avoid crowds since I do supersets, time my workouts, and have a set window of training availability. It's frustrating when you need to do a HIIT session, and someone is reading a book on the recumbent bike. That, or your typical bro-science lifters who lift incorrectly and chit-chat for 15mins while we're all waiting to use the equipment. It's frustrating... I know it's a common frustration among many, but didn't know if there was a hidden gym in the area? I'm willing to pay $100 a month for a private gym too. It's my hobby, so willing to invest, especially if it gets me in and out of the door faster. Considering investing in a home gym if I can't find something.
michellecan
Call Matt at Bodylab Crossfit
txcajun
AG
I looked at Bodylab Crossfit, and it looks more like a bootcamp arrangement. I would need heavy dumbbells, cable system, and stuff tailored more for bodybuilding.
redd38
AG
Go to a 24-hour gym at like 3am
MiMi
S
You could check to see if BCS Fitness has what you are looking for. BCS Fitness
UglyScientist
Have you looked at BlackBox? BlackBox
4lilmonkeys
Did you look at BoomFit (corner of Ponderosa and Longmire)? I drive by there on my way to/from work every day and it seems like most of their group workouts are out back behind the gym, leaving their main gym space relatively empty.
michellecan
Trust me bj, Matt has you covered
malibu9in1
Go before 2?

I goto Bodylab as well. For almost 3 years. It's 95% Crossfit. I do like to do lower reps and I do it by myself in the am, but it really doesn't fit what I believe u are looking for. If you are that serious as u sound.
txcajun
AG
Called BCS Fitness, they only allow personal training, no open gym memberships. I drove to Gold's in CS and the location in Bryan at 2:30PM today. Both locations had at least 4-6 people using all deadlift stations and power racks. I can't imagine what those places look like at 5PM. No thanks!

I know they're building a new Gold's location in the Tower Point development. Seeing how busy that HEB location has gotten, don't think it'll be much better. LOL

Thinking home gym, places have gotten ridiculously busy, even after February. It's not the cardio or machine areas that are usually taken during 2PM, it's the deadlift stations, power racks, and dumbbell areas. I could probably build out something in the shop area for around 10k. Hey, if it saves time, less stress, better workouts, it's probably worth it.

"Go before 2?"

Can't, I usually have meetings in the mornings, and around 2PM or 3PM is my break to workout.
rsa
AG
+2 for Bodylab. While most of us going there are doing it for the crossfit workout, Matt, Harvey, and all the coaches there can build a one-on-one workout with you to achieve your goals.

I'll also add a +1 for Black Box. Jack Gaines runs a solid program & has produced several national level lifters.
Carnwellag2
Show me a gym that isn't busy and I will show you a gym going out of business
BourbonOTR
It REALLY sounds like you need to buy what you need at your house. This is a relatively small town with a large student and stay at home mom population that are available to workout at 2pm.
agtwister_5
AG
Check out D1 on University. They offer bootcamp/strength classes/personal training but recently started allowing use of their equipment outside of classes (you'd need to confirm). I think 2ish is an off time with classes too (again you'd need to confirm).
BlevCat
AG
I'll go ahead and throw in a recommendation for Brazos Valley Barbell. It's primarily a Power and oly lifting gym, so they have about 12 squat racks, 6 deadlift platforms and 5 or 6 oly lifting platforms. It may not have all the equipment you want for bodybuilding training, but it's worth checking out before you give up on all gyms in this town.

http://brazosvalleybarbell.com/

KidDoc
AG
I usually workout Wednesday afternoons @ Aerofit on Longmire and it is not very crowded. I am often there around sometime between 1:30 to 4 or so depending on other activities.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Carnwellag2 said:

Show me a gym that isn't busy and I will show you a gym going out of business
If the gyms are crowded enough that someone would suggest going in the middle of the night without irony, then there's definitely room enough for more gyms in this market. Has there been a not-busy fitness gym in College Station-Bryan that has gone out of business from lack of business in recent years? I can't think of anything.
TicoLoco
SNAP Fitness on Boonville Rd in Bryan.

They have heavy dumbbells (up to 200 lbs. I believe)
Cable machine
Open 24hrs
ChiefHaus
Aerofit Longmire only has only 1 squat rack. The time from 2pm to 4pm is usually pretty empty though. Anytime before or after that and it will not fit what you are looking for. I usually am there sometime between noon and 2pm. Always less people when I leave as the lunch crowd is gone by 2. Might be worth a look to see if it fits.
KidDoc
AG
ChiefHaus said:

Aerofit Longmire only has only 1 squat rack. The time from 2pm to 4pm is usually pretty empty though. Anytime before or after that and it will not fit what you are looking for. I usually am there sometime between noon and 2pm. Always less people when I leave as the lunch crowd is gone by 2. Might be worth a look to see if it fits.
It has the one squat rack and also the smith machine (I think it is called) next to it.

I gave up on squats a few months ago when I tweaked my knee a bit doing lunges so just doing leg press/extension/curls these days so I won't be in your way!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
b0ridi
Brazos Valley Barbell has a lot of serious lifters, but I don't know if it will be completely empty at 2PM. If you need the entire gym to yourself, it sounds like a home gym is the best option.
OldArmyBQ77
No gym needed bud! The world is your gym. Do Pushup/Pullups/Situps one day run another for some cardio. Rinse and Repeat with good nutrition and tons of sex and you'll look like me.

jarz94
AG
Aerofit Villa Maria has been great for me. I have never had an issue with crowds before 5pm. There are several power racks and a good selection of free weights
w8liftr
Once you get a good garage gym setup, the idea of joining a gym will be such a letdown. Drop weights, choose your music, no bros curling in the power rack, no skinny "experts" giving bad advice, no trainers always trying to sell you something...

I haven't parked a car in my garage in over a decade, and I don't regret it.
malibu9in1
There is a new gym opening up in Bryan near the Polaris store. It's more of a body building meat heead type place...so I've heard.
ClassicArnold
Unfortunately B/CS is growing way too fast. The streets can't handle the traffic, and you're correct, people are out & about all day, every day. There's no such thing as a non-busy gym. Just like a not-so-busy restaurant on any night of the week. College kids aren't poor anymore and most people don't cook at home. Good luck man. May have to workout at home like I do and hope your buddy can workout when you do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.