Franks, in Schulenburg, to close

2,270 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Original AG 76
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Posted as a PSA to all the folks who have enjoyed the place on road trips and want to get one last PIE !!!

After 90 years of serving so many generations of Texans on I-10 the iconic eatery will close soon. Saw a FB post and a piece in the local paper where the family has sold the property. Looks like the building will be demolished and there are no plans for Franks to be rebuilt.
Such sad news for so many of us who grew up eating at Franks whenever I-10 was in the travel plans. I have memories of eating there on road trips with my grandparents back in the 50's.
Solid comfort food, world class pies...down home service. Looks like we will be making a special venture over to Schulenberg to make a last stop for chicken fried steak for me, pot roast for her and PIE !!!!!

ratfacemcdougal
Would always stop there on our trips from Houston to El Rancho Cima
hihozippo
AG
Oh no!! I have many fond memories of stopping there as a kid on our way to see my grandparents in Leakey. I loved Franks!!
src94
AG
Who are your grandparents? I grew up in Leakey.
AggiePirate
AG
It has to be said and I dont think anyone else will do it but they really did have probably the nicest rest rooms on I-10. They also always seemed to put special care to maintain the back entrance into the building where most places dont tend to put that much effort. It always felt like I was walking to the back of a Chic-fil-A, which of course made me want the biscuits lol.
Roc96
AG
Aw, no!
BlueMiles
AG
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

(Big Yellow Taxi)
hihozippo
AG
My grandfather was Benjamin Billings. He owned the Frio Canyon Lodge when I was a young kid.
Owlagdad
Wow, my daughters are 3rd generation Ags who loved the place. Growing up We would leave the valley in time for lunch at Franks, and hour and half left to Aggieland. Would leave CS early and have breakfast on way home.
Do not know how many LBJ hats Dad left there.
My family would time our trips from east Texas to Port A around lunch at Franks.
Sad news.
inozips
AG
Que lastima, loved me some Franks
Picadillo
Noooooooooo!!!!!! I'd drive past all the more modern places to enjoy a REAL meal at Frank's. Hope perhaps someone comes in to buy the place and keep it open.
ro828
We've had many a great meal there. I figured they'd be open forever.
The Original AG 76
AG
Picadillo said:

Noooooooooo!!!!!! I'd drive past all the more modern places to enjoy a REAL meal at Frank's. Hope perhaps someone comes in to buy the place and keep it open.

It's a done deal. The family has already sold the place and it will be torn down. Family has no interest in building a new place
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.