BLASTED BIRD CANNON!!!

2,980 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
armymom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know who to complain to? It makes my dogs psycho therefore making a very uncomfortable evening for all and we all know the darn thing doesn't work! It is loud enough to startle me too!
momtaxi
Yes it does work! We went shopping there before they started the bird cannon. My husband had to stay outside and keep the birds off of the car while i shopped.We went there after they started it and the wasn't any problem with birds
TellMeMore
Rock salt and a lower trajectory would do wonders also. Keep your head down!
threecatcorner
complain to the owner of the shopping center (person who is hiring the bird cannon)

could maybe try complaining to city council

contacting police about it doesn't work because it is apparently exempted from noise ordinances. it is definitely above the allowed decibel level, but unless it is the middle of the night, they can't do anything. actually i think that when i complained before, they said the bird cannon had a permit so maybe contacting city council would help. if they are responsible for giving the permit, maybe they could revoke it

that stupid bird cannon is way more
annoying than birds. i actually wrote to HEB before and thanked them for not using one . i would rather shop there with birds than at kroger with that stupid cannon (although it is annoying that the texas and southwest pkwy kroger is gone).

someone with PTSD should complain to the city about that bird cannon. i can't imagine how much more horrible it must be for them to have to hear that sound
bugle rank '87
AG
We were at a resort in Mexico and they used some kind of a Hawk that someone would bring out a few times a day. No problems with birds, it was quiet and we all enjoyed watching it work!
OnlyForNow
AG
The bird canon is annoying but sometimes works.
armymom
When said that it works it might for only a short period of time so that you can get in your car before being splat. But birds will still be there tomorrow not solving anything! I like the idea of bringing in a real hawk to take care of business! Although I need be be careful what I wish for! Living close enough I don't want those things moving to my roof and porch!
Tim Weaver
The funny thing is that the birds have moved a couple hundred yards to the intersection of 6 and Rock Prairie. So along with the construction and traffic delays, you now can't go through there with your windows down.

So granting a permit to Kroger to use a bird cannon has created a bigger problem for the city crews working on that section.

I like the hawk idea.
4lilmonkeys
Tim Weaver said:

I like the hawk idea.
I was thinking blow torches personally, but I'm willing to take it down a knotch and try hawks first.
bobinator
AG
Yeah all the bird cannon has done is turn Rock Prairie and Longmire into a Hitchcock scene.
BlazeHarper
What do the birds want ?
Has anyone reached out to ask them ?
armymom
They want their empty fields back!
Tim Weaver
BlazeHarper said:

What do the birds want ?
Has anyone reached out to ask them ?
I have a feeling that this particular herd of grackles has been stopping there for a few hundred years. If you notice they don't really go anywhere else in town. They congregate at the Kroger parking lot. That's some intense instinctual behavior that won't allow them to go anywhere else. The only thing that would move them on is if a predator moved in to the area.
OnlyForNow
AG
Not likely, but they like parking lots that have trees spaced as designed.

Plenty of trash and food in the immediate area.
SW AG80
AG
#BLM
aggielandsip

In case any of you missed the "incident" in November, this is the aftermath of Kroger Rock Prairie leaving their sliding doors open all night. Brought the issue to the attention of the manager, and he said "oh, they are in the bread section now?" and went about his business.

Last time I have bought food in that Kroger.

If that's what they are ok with you seeing, what on earth do you think goes on that they do try to shield their customers from?!?!
AggiePirate
AG
Trump will fix this. There will probably be an executive order tomorrow on it.
Kitten With A Whip
They need to erect a McDonalds with a fake owl on the roof.
cslifer
Wow! A business tries to move some birds and people want to complain to city council!!! What is next? Call the FBI about a barking dog?
3rd Generation Ag
AG
We have the birds in certain areas of Temple also. The Mall and Scott and White hospital are particularly bad. I know here they said you could not legally poison them. Or kill them in any cruel way. So for decades they have been like the scenes from the Birds. Nothing works in the sense of making them leave. The cannons do make them move for a little while. Come up with a solution that is legal and you will become rich as cities all over will buy you product.
OnlyForNow
AG
In the numbers they are in, you can legally poison them but they'd need to get professionals to do it and it just pest control folks.

Need bird experts etc, can't have a lot of non-target species kills.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.