Girl Scout cookies are here!

1,884 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Scoopen Skwert
jrhmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting yesterday you can purchase your favorite cookies from your neighborhood Girl Scouts. This weekend is Red Wagon Weekend so be on the look out for girls coming around to houses with wagons full of cookies. Booths at stores like Walmart and HEB will start the following weekend. We've gone back to the other bakery this year so you should be able to find Lemonades and Thanks-a-lots along with the new S'mores cookie. We also have the traditional favorites: Thin Mints, Caramel Delights (Samoas), Peanut Butter Patties (Tagalongs), Peanut Butter Sandwich (Do-Si-Dos), and Shortbread (Trefoil). There are also a limited number of boxes of the gluten-free cookie, Trios, out there but once those are sold, we won't be able to get more.

Most boxes of cookies are still $4/box with around $3/box going to area Girl Scouts. None of the money generated from the cookie sale goes to national. Please be kind if you don't want cookies since this is a learning opportunity for the girls. The point of the sale is to teach girls about money management (they should know what they are using their cookie proceeds for), customer service, and business ethics. Also if you see older girls selling, understand that they most likely are selling to participate in some really great opportunities that are available through Girl Scouts. I have 4 older (13 and up) Girl Scouts going to Japan this summer and 12 going to San Diego over Spring Break. My troop has 9 girls working on Silver Award projects and at least 2 who will start working on their Gold Awards in the next year.

Please support your local scouts!

studioone
ME! ME! ME!
TAMU1990
AG
Thin Mints!!!!
phatpat21
jrhmc
AG
studioone said:

ME! ME! ME!
I believe we have a case with your name on it anyway because of all the help with our Princess Party. Just let me know when you want it and what kind. Everyone else, you should see Girl Scouts coming around your neighborhood. I can't post my personal troop info since it wouldn't be fair to all but I can help you find girls if you get desperate. Thanks!
MsC2012
AG
I need some girls who would like to sell guarantees 100 boxes. I need a table for one night at my work. If you are interested can you email me. Mrsc201224 at gmail.
biobioprof
Thanks-A-Lots were MIA last year, weren't they? Love those.

But it's weird to see so many things that look familiar but with different names. I still think of them as Samoas, Tagalogs, and Trefoils.

IIRC, it's related to the contracts with the companies who provide the cookies. Is that right?
jrhmc
AG
biobioprof said:

Thanks-A-Lots were MIA last year, weren't they? Love those.

But it's weird to see so many things that look familiar but with different names. I still think of them as Samoas, Tagalogs, and Trefoils.

IIRC, it's related to the contracts with the companies who provide the cookies. Is that right?
Yes, there are two bakers of Girl Scout cookies. We've had Little Brownie Bakers for the last 3 years and they own the names Samoas, Tagalongs, Trefoils, and Do-Si-Dos. We've switched back to ABC Bakery for at least this year so we now have the Lemonades and Thanks-a-lots back. The council staff in Austin will reevaluate after this season and see what we'll have next year. It's based on what's best for the girls in terms of learning the lessons of the cookie sale so it's hard to predict.
BlueMiles
AG
Would you be able to elaborate any more on why one baker is picked over the other one? I've wondered. And thanks for your post about the cookies.
AggieJason
AG
jrhmc said:

studioone said:

ME! ME! ME!
Everyone else, you should see Girl Scouts coming around your neighborhood.
I wish this were true, but I've never seen girlscouts in my neighborhood (by CS Walmart). I've been in this area for well over a decade.

If a Brownie came to my door with a case of thin mints and a credit card attachment for their (Mom's) phone, I'd be in trouble.
jrhmc
AG
BlueMiles said:

Would you be able to elaborate any more on why one baker is picked over the other one? I've wondered. And thanks for your post about the cookies.
The cookie sale is about teaching the girls the 5 skills:
- Goal Setting
- Decision Making
- Money Management
- People Skills
- Business Ethics

The baker provides materials to help troop leaders teach these 5 skills but they also have to be easy to work with and the orders have to come in on time and in good condition. Generally these are the deciding factors on which baker is picked. I think they also consider what the market is asking for and the Austin area was not happy about the change in bakers a few years ago. Around here, we had the Little Brownie cookies before we were merged into the Austin council so it was a return to what we knew for older scouts. As a leader, I used the materials from both bakers depending on who had the better stuff but the bakers started restricting access unless your council had a contract with that baker. The sale is not about selling cookies. If it was, we'd just put them in stores year round. It's about what the girls can learn about business so whichever baker can help me do that, I'm hoping our council picks them.
jrhmc
AG
AggieJason said:

jrhmc said:

studioone said:

ME! ME! ME!
Everyone else, you should see Girl Scouts coming around your neighborhood.
I wish this were true, but I've never seen girlscouts in my neighborhood (by CS Walmart). I've been in this area for well over a decade.

If a Brownie came to my door with a case of thin mints and a credit card attachment for their (Mom's) phone, I'd be in trouble.
Hmm. Sounds like an opportunity for some girls with wagons this weekend. Hopefully some of them see this and start walking the neighborhood!
Eliminatus
AG
Best time of the year! I have known full grown adults who would happily murder a stranger for some thin mints.
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks!
K2T2
Yussssss 5 vegan cookies!! And one is a freakin' marshmallow-y cookie. High five to the Girl Scouts for showing a little compassion to animals. The other bakery they had been using doesn't do the vegan swaps, so I can only ever grab the Thin Mints. I'ma have to buy some this year!!!
Scoopen Skwert
AG
And the people said "Amen!" Woohoo!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.