Dish Network plans on dropping KBTX from lineup

3,347 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mgreen
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw earlier on KBTX where Dish is planning on dropping KBTX from their service starting tomorrow, 01/17 at 6:00 PM. Sounds like another contract dispute over cost of programming.

Story here.
BCStalk
They will definitely not be missed
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This happens all the time.

One side wants to raise their rates or wants to pay less. The other side balks. One side threatens the other with dropping their channel(s). The other side runs advertising (usually a scroll at the bottom of the screen) accusing the other of being unfair. People are urged to call in voicing their support of one side.

Then, right before the "deadline", they agree to a new deal and everything is hunky-dory (until that contract starts to end and the whole thing starts over again).

I fully expect Dish and KBTX to hash this out before anything drastic happens.
cz308
Who really cares? Love how everyone is talking about dropping Dish now. If you are on Dish network solely for KBTX, you have issues. If Directv dropped them tomorrow, I'd just get online and watch their news cast. It's the same thing.

Speaking of Directv and KBTX, they need to work on high definition. For christ sakes those crappy channels in Waco are.
armymom
I just had a notice from DISH that there will now be a monthly charge $10 for local channels. Then I found out KBTX was dropping. That's okay, will watch KWTX!
AggiePhil
AG
Get an HD OTA antenna and plug it into your Dish receiver.
aggiemom89
Kwtx will be dropped also. No cbs stations at all
DBSwooper
aggiemom89 said:

Kwtx will be dropped also. No cbs stations at all
They're both owned by Gray Media, Dish's broadcast agreement is with the parent company, so that makes complete sense.

This is also the typical bickering fight when distribution contracts are renegotiated, nothing special.
LOYAL AG
AG
Funny I just suspended Dish. Putting up an OTA antenna as soon as it dries out. We did sign up up for Sling TV on the ROKU, and yes I know that's streaming Dish.
AgResearch
AG
DISH heard Steve Fullhart had left and decided they were WAY overpaying for KBTX. Can't fault them for seeing the lower quality product.
oklaunion
If it gets dropped from DISH, the logic below in a story on State Jails (should be county jails) that is running today is an example of what will be missing in your life:

" Currently, taxpayers pay for the day-to-day operations of local jails. If the act is passed without providing government funds to help jails make the changes, the taxpayers would be responsible for covering those costs."
SARATOGA
1) Follow Shell Winkley on Twitter
2) ...
3) ...

Not sure what else I'm missing.

armymom
If KBTX is free over the air why then should they charge DISH? Who is the bad guy in this?
LOYAL AG
AG
armymom said:

If KBTX is free over the air why then should they charge DISH? Who is the bad guy in this?

Why not? Why give away for free something you can sell? THat aside I'm guessing there's costs associated with delivering a signal to Dish that aren't incurred in delivering that same signal OTA.
labmansid
TV stations I'm pretty sure have been receiving some revenue from cable and satellite providers for carrying their content for some time now. Just because it is free over an antenna doesn't mean they should provide it free to them. After all, that is a big selling point for cable and sat that they provide local network programming.

However, I am also sure that at the end of these contracts, local stations are asking for increased revenue to provide their "free" programming. I think it is ironic how the content providers (cable channels), not just local stations, always make the cable and satellite companies seem like the "bad guys" in these negotiations, threatening to drop our poor station for no reason. Dish has had the reputation for a long time of playing hardball in these negotiations in an effort to keep programming costs down. While it is inconvenient and a hassle to miss getting a station while this process goes on, I kind of admire Dish for trying to keep our costs down. I'm glad I got an antenna for emergency backup a while back, and still have a Dish receiver that has an input for it for recording purposes.
cz308
Well???? Did they work it out or are they gone?
labmansid
cz308 said:

Well???? Did they work it out or are they gone?
They are still on as of now.
JayMM_02
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

...Then, right before the "deadline", they agree to a new deal and everything is hunky-dory (until that contract starts to end and the whole thing starts over again)...

Looks like that's what happened again.
James Russell
AG
Yup. A deal was reached.
BCStalk
Great. Now my bill will go up for some crappy news coverage.
mgreen
I was never worried. Yes I was. I can not miss my morning CBS news and blue bloods.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.