Recommendations for small concrete job

1,526 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BANA89
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like to pour a small (8' x 10') slab in the corner of my yard to put my BBQ grill on, and try to closely match the material our pool deck was poured out of. Looking for recommendations to get a few quotes. I know there have been some shady concrete contractors in the area in the past, so would appreciate any suggestions.

TIA
carpe vinum
AG
Just call the nearest concrete company you want to use, and ask them. They have the cards of every concrete worker in town pinned on a cork board by their phone.

Edit: I have most of the tools, and do most myself. I've even had the drivers hop out and help.
Tailgate88
AG
carpe vinum said:

Just call the nearest concrete company you want to use, and ask them. They have the cards of every concrete worker in town pinned on a cork board by their phone.

Edit: I have most of the tools, and do most myself. I've even had the drivers hop out and help.

Ok, I am near Wellborn. Who would you call?
carpe vinum
AG
I use Aggieland on old Arrington
Tailgate88
AG
carpe vinum said:

I use Aggieland on old Arrington

Thanks!
carpe vinum
AG
This will help you figure how much you need to order.

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html
toolshed
AG
Call Kris at KC Services. This is something they could do pretty quickly. His number is 979.219.0503.

The problem is going to be getting the concrete truck. For a small job, wheelbarrowed to the back of the yard, concrete companies don't like their trucks sitting long and will tack on time charges for sitting on the job too long. You are only looking at about a cubic yard with a 4-4.5" thick slab. I'd price it both ways, with minimum truck delivery and time charges, vs doing it with bagged concrete.

A quick calculation shows you'd need about 30-80# bags of Sacrete Maximizer (lighter weight, larger coverage per bag). At $6.85 per bag (McCoys website), you'd be looking at $200 or so plus tax. Likely cheaper than a concrete truck, even through they are around $95/ yd, they'll likely not want a one yard job unless you have an installer that can pull strings or sets up a few small jobs per day.
BANA89
AG
toolshed said:

Call Kris at KC Services. This is something they could do pretty quickly. His number is 979.219.0503.

The problem is going to be getting the concrete truck. For a small job, wheelbarrowed to the back of the yard, concrete companies don't like their trucks sitting long and will tack on time charges for sitting on the job too long. You are only looking at about a cubic yard with a 4-4.5" thick slab. I'd price it both ways, with minimum truck delivery and time charges, vs doing it with bagged concrete.

A quick calculation shows you'd need about 30-80# bags of Sacrete Maximizer (lighter weight, larger coverage per bag). At $6.85 per bag (McCoys website), you'd be looking at $200 or so plus tax. Likely cheaper than a concrete truck, even through they are around $95/ yd, they'll likely not want a one yard job unless you have an installer that can pull strings or sets up a few small jobs per day.
Speaking from experience, mixing 30 bags a couple at a time in the typical portable mixer is brutal, it's worth some extra money to get a truck to wait while it's wheelbarrowed...
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.