What is up with Hearne

11,013 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there some logical explanation as to why the Hearne city and school government seem to be so dysfunctional? There are plenty of cities that might have one or two dysfunctional members in their elected government offices, but Hearne seems to have more than normal.

This latest story from KBTX exemplifies this. http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hearne-council-questions-43000-bill-after-being-dumped-by-city-attorney-409609645.html

The city attorney resigns citing the "combative, unprofessional and inconsistent" actions of council members. I guess this upset some of the council so they are now questioning whether they will pay the bill from the attorney. On top of that, the city decides to place an ad in the paper for 30 days to advertise the city attorney position.

So what quality of attorney do you think they will get considering:
  • the last firm quit because council is impossible to work with
  • you are refusing to pay their bill
  • you are placing a newspaper ad for the next attorney, you know, because that is where all the good attorneys look for a job?
Post removed:
by user
BigBubba
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

You must not be from 'round these parts. I grew up in Hearne, My Mom and Dad were both graduates of Hearne High School. I am related to a number of people.

Nothing much has changed. They might have better luck advertising in the paper. The City Attorney they had before that was scamming old folks out of their oil royalties (and he was my soccer coach when I was a kid). History will keep repeating itself because most of the people left in Hearne don't want any better. I left a long time ago, and will not move back.
I can understand one bad apple like you cite with the previous city attorney but the disfunction is everywhere. They currently have an interim city manager and they tried to get rid of him and failed. They school district has gone through 5 superintendents in 5 years and now the state is recommending getting rid of the entire school board.

There are plenty of smaller cities around here (Caldwell, Somerville, Navasota, etc.) that may have their own struggles but none of them seem to make the news like Hearne does.
Rapier108
It's just Hearne being Hearne.
95_Aggie
AG
Is Hearne still the only city that WalMart moved OUT of?
Post removed:
by user
Oogway
Hearne is what you would get if a genre writer crossed Southern Gothic with a Louis L'amour Western (the kind that has the town serving as a little fiefdom for the powerful). More back story than Star Wars.
Fascinating stuff out there. ...
TellMeMore
Don't forget Woody Harrelson's daddy killed Sam Degila of Hearne in a murder for hired deal back in the late 60's. It didn't happen in Hearne but Sam was doing business there as a grain dealer. And, in another incident, I can't remember the guy's name, but his death was ruled suicide, despite having several gunshot wounds. And look up the $12,000 check cut for the Brown Street overpass in Hearne......should I go on?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
It's one of two, to my knowledge.
Tim Weaver
Aaahhh Hearne. The town that fired their Drug Dog because it was "racist".
BigBubba
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Aaahhh Hearne. The town that fired their Drug Dog because it was "racist".
You are kidding, right?
GSS
TellMeMore said:

Don't forget Woody Harrelson's daddy killed Sam Degila of Hearne in a murder for hired deal back in the late 60's. It didn't happen in Hearne but Sam was doing business there as a grain dealer. And, in another incident, I can't remember the guy's name, but his death was ruled suicide, despite having several gunshot wounds. And look up the $12,000 check cut for the Brown Street overpass in Hearne......should I go on?
Henry Marshall died of "multiple" self-inflicted(sic) gunshots. He was investigating the fraud perpetuated by Billy Sol Estes. More of a "Robertson County" story than Hearne.
GSS
Slocum on a mobile said:

You must not be from 'round these parts. I grew up in Hearne, My Mom and Dad were both graduates of Hearne High School. I am related to a number of people there still.

Nothing much has changed. They might have better luck advertising in the paper. The City Attorney they had before that was scamming old folks out of their oil royalties (and he was my soccer coach when I was a kid). History will keep repeating itself because most of the people left in Hearne don't want any better. I left a long time ago, and will not move back.
The DA was also an outlaw...he was apparently involved with the City Attorney in their various scams.
Hearne is a shell of what is was 40-50 yrs ago....social programs/entitlements became the norm. And some residents still wonder why Mumford gets the students trying to escape to a better education...

It's hard to know what's worse...the City Council or the School Board.
And I was born in Hearne; it was great in my early years...but rarely admit to where I'm from in nice company
duffelpud
AG
Charles Harrelson' story

The Billy Sol Estes/Henry Marshall conspiracy
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
Booger County.
CTGilley
AG
AGnCS said:

Robstown, TX had the same problem.
CS78
Rapier108 said:

It's just Hearne being Hearne.
I hearne that!
OnlyANobody
It's the ever present Jamie. S/he must not be having a very happy New Year and needs to get some Bryan bashing done to lift its spirits.
BQ_90
AG
It's a lost city, it's should have been in Waller County, then they'd be considered normal
91_Aggie
AG
AGnCS said:

I had heard that Walmart shut it down due to organized theft by the employees.
Post removed:
by user
AgDotCom
The OP (and any others who wonder what is going on in that dumpster fire to our north) should click these two links, then form their own opinion of whether it's legit or b.s. I'm undecided, but it's fascinating reading, better than anything on TV in my opinion. You would think a book and movie will eventually come out of it all.

http://lawflog.com/?p=1520

http://boogercountymafia.com/

momlaw
AG
Was about to post Lawflog, noted above.
Humorous, evidently first person, accounting of elected officials' bad behavior in Robertson County with tracks to Austin.
wangus12
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

It's hard to know what's worse...the City Council or the School Board.

And I was born in Hearne; it was great in my early years...but rarely admit to where I'm from in nice company
Agreed. I usually just tell people I'm from College Station. Saves all the probing questions.

Yep. That's why I do as well.
BigBubba
AG
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hearne-council-members-storm-out-of-meeting--411026465.html

And the craziness continues.

So the city is without an attorney, they are trying to fire the interim city manager, take away the mayor's ability to vote and then three council members walk out of the meeting because they are not getting their way.
Post removed:
by user
kraut
AG
BigBubba said:

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hearne-council-members-storm-out-of-meeting--411026465.html

And the craziness continues.

So the city is without an attorney, they are trying to fire the interim city manager, take away the mayor's ability to vote and then three council members walk out of the meeting because they are not getting their way.
Well I guess that gives us some insight as to why that law firm quit acting as their city attorney - some on the council want to make up the rules as they go.

Taking away a council member's right to vote?!? Are they serious?!?
threecatcorner
the mayor's right to vote

apparently city council and the law firm disagreed as to whether the mayor was supposed to get to vote on everything or just in the case of a tie
gettingitdone
Generally the mayor should only cast a tie breaking vote. They amended their charter to reflect this, but the mayor said that wasn't legal. He likes having his thumb in everything.
TexasAggie_02
AG

I mean, what is the deal with Hearne?
BigBubba
AG
gettingitdone said:

Generally the mayor should only cast a tie breaking vote.
Hearne has 5 council members, so unless a council member is not there then there would not be any tie votes. This seems very odd to me. By comparison, Bryan and College Station both have 6 council members and the mayor's vote would break a 3-3 tie.
gettingitdone said:

They amended their charter to reflect this, but the mayor said that wasn't legal. He likes having his thumb in everything.
You sure they "amended their charter"? I thought council just passed a resolution. I would assume something like this would require voter approval.

Edit: I checked the City Charter and it does state that changes require voter approval.
BigBubba
AG
threecatcorner said:

the mayor's right to vote

apparently city council and the law firm disagreed as to whether the mayor was supposed to get to vote on everything or just in the case of a tie
Would it be fair to say:

apparently city council members that don't like how the mayor votes and the law firm disagreed as to whether the mayor was supposed to get to vote on everything or just in the case of a tie
Post removed:
by user
BigBubba
AG
Arguing over the mayor's right to vote, AGAIN.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Heated-discussion-centered-on-the-mayors-right-to-vote-erupts-during-meeting-418305213.html

Removal of entire school board and superintendent.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Texas-Education-Agency-orders-removal-of-Hearne-ISD-trustees-superintendent-418252893.html

Police officer on administrative leave for unknown reasons.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Hearne-Police-Officer-on-administrative-leave-418227633.html

Family claims murder.
http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Family-friends-demanding-justice-following-mysterious-death-of-Hearne-man-418295833.html

I am just amazed at how incompetent the school board and city council appears to be. Having one or two bad apples getting elected happens at times but this something much different.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.