The REASON Wallis got the boot [New Saff Warning on OP 6/1/2017]

52,685 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by carpe vinum
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When BISD hired him I received a phone call from someone that I hadn't heard from in forever. East TX former educator, where he came from, warning me that we would have this drama. They were right.
Love Gun
I heard the same from friends in Freestone County.
Rapier108
Wallis is a lunatic, and his lawyers aren't any better.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Tommy-Wallis-expected-in-Travis-County-court-Wednesday-431330713.html

He is pretty much determined to burn BISD to the ground as retribution.
aggiepaintrain
AG
he's going to lose
happyinBCS
Hmmmm so Wallis legal team wants to call BISD lawyers to the stand? The Judge stops that thought Really come on is this for real?
Mathguy64
AG
It's rather ironic that he wants jailed/fined the very people who are documented to have done all of his bidding and dirty work. Those folks have to be some kind of unhappy right now.
Stupe
S
I'm split on this lawsuit. He's obviously a jerk and a bully and I think that the citizens of Bryan deserve to know the details about his firing. However, a court order is a court order and if someone violated an injunction illegally, they should be punished.

Wallis thinking that he should decide their punishment or have them pay him bond money is ridiculous.
happyinBCS
The Judge is a Hispanic female, probably not to good for Wallis side especially concerning violation J (moral character) when he spoke of the employee with blonde hair and big T*****
Koko Chingo
AG
Stupe,

We were having a water cooler discussion about this point. Someone brought up that in December a judge said the documents were open records because of the Texas Public Information Act. Wallis then fought it and we have to wait for the official ruling.

In this case, the argument is, the agreement is already illegal due to the fact it goes against the TPIA. Can you be guilty of breech of contract if the contract is illegal? --- Even though whoever leaked the documents probably should have waited until a judge made this declaration.

If these are truly open records, then the separation agreement with the gag order was never valid in the first place.

This is all about timing.

If Wallis did not fight it, the records would have already been public. So far, I do not see anything compelling on why documents relating to a public school superintendent should not be released under the TPIA. This is why Wallis has to do something now. It is also hard to see what his motives are beyond a little revenge. He doesn't really gain anything from this.

I would be curious to hear the opinion of an attorney.

4thGenerationAgs
Koko -
I think his immediate concern is the leak of the rest of the documents. You raise some valid questions. I have been pondering one, as well. If memory serves, the agreement was not signed by all parties listed. Can a BISD employee who is listed in the non-disclosure agreement be held liable if he/she did not sign it?
Koko Chingo
AG
4thGen,

I would also like to know the answer to your question. Also, how does a non-disclosure agreement differ from other types of contracts? I had forgotten that not everyone signed the agreement. That makes this even more interesting. Especially if their reason for not signing was that they felt the agreement violated state law versus just having personal reasons.
happyinBCS
So team Wallis is NOT going to pursue criminal contempt charges, just civil. Sounds like they saw the writing on the wall. Also his attorney said he has spent tens of thousands of dollars to keep these documents from leaking. What on earth did this guy do???? I thought what is already public is more than enough to be fired on the spot.
Mathguy64
AG
Nice to see District Attorney Wallis has decided not to pursue criminal charges.

His attorney must have slept through law school. Wanting bail given to his client and deciding he's not pursuing criminal charges.
soso33
I don't think he should necessarily go to jail. I don't think he should hold a job in a school system. Kids today don't have a president to model decorum. But they should be able to look to the superintendent of their district for integrity. When he's opened up his insurance business, moving on from education, I'll stop caring. Nothing vindictive. Nothing personal.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I'll offer a different perspective. I lived in Beaumont for 56 years and saw what those in authority can do to screw up things. To allow those responsible to just move on to a new system and the same things continue is not in my opinion the correct approach.

If someone is guilty of crimes, you do not just push them off to someone else. It needs to be dealt with. At least by an entity that is willing to do so.

I personally saw the effects of doing so to another BISD.
gibby03
AG
I can understand that, but who is the judge and jury here? KBTX? That's my biggest issue right now honestly, the fact that KBTX and Eagle continually publish stuff, before the most recent issues, they brought every little thing into their news coverage once Wallis left here. They followed him to Fort Bend and tried to interview people there, then went to Kirbyville and did the same thing. Why? What purpose does that serve? I just don't see that as their job.
BCStalk
Bottom line is this nut case was on our payroll. He can try to hide his past behind the court all he wants, it will be revealed. This isn't a case of mob mentality, it's a case of this crap doesn't need to happen again. These public officials are not going to do whatever they want without consequence. I've been in Bryan my entire life and can't recall a person worse than this guy.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Some may say that is what journalists used to do as opposed to what they do today. Have a story, find the facts wherever they may be and report them. You decide.

You could, using your analysis, argue that Woodward and Bernstein were on a witch hunt.

I know that's not what you mean, but it is a slope on which one must be careful.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
It's local news because much of the crap this turd did was WHILE he was BISD superintendent. It isn't that hard to figure out.
gibby03
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

It's local news because much of the crap this turd did was WHILE he was BISD superintendent. It isn't that hard to figure out.

The moment he left BISD and they agreed to everything it wasn't. Not until this most recent series of events did it come back and yet, the continual onslaught of coverage never subsided.
Love Gun
gibby03 said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

The moment he left BISD and they agreed to everything it wasn't. Not until this most recent series of events did it come back and yet, the continual onslaught of coverage never subsided.

The coverage is warranted. Kudos to KBTX for exposing this fraud. He does NOT need to be in charge of anyone.
**** Joe Biden
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Regardless of your opinion, I'm enjoying the show. This ass deserves to be metaphorically drawn and quartered in public. He wanted all the attention? Be careful what you wish for.
gibby03
AG
OBVIOUSLY, this is a "losing battle" for me on here and I knew it would be before I ever hit submit, and again I'm not really worried about it either. I can't wait to see all the people come out of the woodwork tomorrow morning when they wake up. I just have a differing opinion on that what happened needs to be moved on from and worry about OUR community. He's gone, let him be gone instead of trying to ruin the man. It's not "most of yalls" job. That was the BISD Leasership and they chose to move on and yet others can't.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Are you saying or trying to argue that once a problem moves out of your geographical area it ceases to be a problem?

If so, I disagree.
Mathguy64
AG
gibby03 said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

That is not a true statement. Both KBTX and The Eagle filed FOIA requests to bring into public light the documents relating to Wallis' exit. Precisely because it is newsworthy to know why a highly paid Superintendent was suddenly forced out and paid a substantial amount of money to leave. The AG ruled for release of those documents. He had to get a court injunction overruling the AG and that is still set for litigation.

Part of the issues surrounding Wallis's tenure stems from alleged complaints of bullying. The whole reason the KISD issue made such news here was because there were appearances of that same behavior there leading to that death.

If you do understand why that has made news here and why the now released employment records are news I don't know what else to tell you. That would be news worthy pretty much anywhere.
oldag00
AG
Since Wallis is roundly accusing everyone with any tie to BISD with leaking this document without any shred of proof, I'll ask....

How do we know Wallis didn't leak it himself? If his counsel believes it will be made public anyway, why not try to pen it on the other guys and get your lawyer fees covered to boot?
Stupe
S
From all of the stuff that I've read or heard about this guy, that wouldn't even be a surprise.
91_Aggie
AG
Spiderman learned this lesson the hard way when he let a criminal go that "really didn't affect him" and that criminal later killed his Uncle Ben.

This Amoral attitude of "Well, he no longer personally affects me, so he can do what he wants in some other school district" is abhorrent.
NateDog
AG
gibby03 said:

I am open to having a conversation on why I think it's time to move on

Most of my property taxes go to BISD. Based on information that has become public so far, the decision to send Wallis off with a letter of recommendation and $80K+ is already highly questionable.

Taxpayers and voters can't determine what level of awful that decision really was (and hold school board members properly accountable for it) without knowing everything that the Texas Attorney General has already ruled should be made public. That's why I'm not ready to just "move on" simply because Wallis doesn't work here any more.
happyinBCS
What I still don't understand is, if he has already spent 53k on attorneys and the trial against the AG in October is ruled in favor of the AG all the documents will then become public and at that point he will have spent well over 100k in legal fees and in his words if the public sees the documents it will ruin his career.
gettingitdone
Not true gibby03,,, They may have agreed on terms, and he may have moved on, but the situation is hardly resolved. There are pending documents that have yet to be released pending this temporary injunction and the opinion of the attorney general. The citizens of Bryan have been seeking details since the beginning, so no, it isn't over.
kraut
AG
So who recorded the conversation between Wallis and Wunneburger? Was that ever revealed?
OnlyANobody
Quote:

I think his immediate concern is the leak of the rest of the documents. You raise some valid questions. I have been pondering one, as well. If memory serves, the agreement was not signed by all parties listed. Can a BISD employee who is listed in the non-disclosure agreement be held liable if he/she did not sign it?
I have wondered this very thing aloud to others. Just because he said it and certain school board members agreed to it, did not, in my opinion (and admittedly limited legal knowledge) bind the named subjects to that agreement without a court order or their signatures being affixed to the document.

Also, as someone touched on, there was a brief period between the time that the AG ruled the documents to be public information and the time that Wallis got the injunction where those documents could have been widely produced and distributed legally, no?

And yes, I'll admit to being one of those who takes pleasure in seeing the bright light of day shone on this person. His behavior as a strong-arming bully directly affected my family. And I watched a bright, happy elementary school with a true feeling of family turn into a place of drudgery and fear which ultimately resulted in a huge turnover that was not for the good of anyone, especially the children, there.
happyinBCS
The Judge is suppose to make a ruling this week on the 19k in attorney fees, any bets? I hope I am wrong, but I think she is going to rule against BISD and award him 19k. Hopefully we will know soon.
Roc96
AG
I've been at the coast for most of the past two weeks. Was there a ruling?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.