Hwy 21 Exit

5,370 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mason12
Finding X
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe it's that I use this exit a lot so I am paying more attention - but it seems like this one is taking an extremely long time to complete! I think it's going on 8 months or more... are they getting paid by the hour?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
We all make mistakes. But, to really screw up something requires TxDOT.
Muzzleblast
Government "work".

Shovel ready jobs..... Gotta have a shovel to lean on.
techno-ag
AG
It's OK. The speed limit has been lowered. All is well.
DayTrip
If it's any consolation they tore up my exit and then rebuilt it twice since 2013 (Emerald Parkway southbound)
KaneIsAble
AG
Estimated completion was September if I remember correctly to the radio report!
DeckMe80
And once you make it to Highway 21, if you turn left you will encounter a lane closure on a project that is taking even longer, the widening of 21 to add a middle turn lane between the bypass and Texas Ave. That one has been in "progress" for about a year now.
Alte Schule
KaneIsAble said:

Estimated completion was September if I remember correctly to the radio report!
I have to take this detour every working day. In April estimated completion was September. In September they corrected that to December. I sat in traffic the other day and got a pretty good look at what's been done. I would say it's probably 75-80% completed. So at that rate I would guess June of 2017.
Sometimes, when I'm felling a little frisky. I'll hang a left at the bridge onto East MLK and follow it up to the intersection at 21 where the Lone Star Grocery and the Dollar General are located. It may take a little longer but sometimes the sights can be, uh, very interesting.
GottaRide
S
With all of the expense that they have poured into this entire project couldn't they have added lights to the on and off ramps? As is, they are even more dangerous at night.
Finding X
I always wonder why they don't put turn around's on SwPkwy - University - Briarcrest - Boonville & 21 for better traffic flow and less congestion... but then I look at how long it takes txdot to do anything (thinking Boonville exit and 21 Exit = 2+ years) and just keep my mouth shut.
GottaRide
S
This is maddening. Still not open, although it looked like it could have been painted and opened weeks ago.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I always wonder why they don't put turn around's on SwPkwy - University - Briarcrest - Boonville & 21 for better traffic flow and less congestion...
Because it costs $$$$$
toolshed
AG
GottaRide said:

With all of the expense that they have poured into this entire project couldn't they have added lights to the on and off ramps? As is, they are even more dangerous at night.

There are lights, although less bright and less of them. I'm sure they meet some new light pollution standards or some other bull crap.
PS3D
toolshed said:

GottaRide said:

There are lights, although less bright and less of them. I'm sure they meet some new light pollution standards or some other bull crap.
The ones that beam down are compliant with standards, at least as of 2011. I would like to see those things up and down Highway 6, but Highway 6 is also woefully out of date in so many other aspects...
Frio Cielo
Hwy 21 is a relatively quick project. The City of Bryan has been working with detours on West 28th Street for about three years now.
Alte Schule
GottaRide said:

This is maddening. Still not open, although it looked like it could have been painted and opened weeks ago.
Last month, it looked like to me, that they had to tear up about 50 feet of new road bed and repave it. Just my opinion, the on ramp has a pretty steep slope on the drivers side and will need guardrails. One thing for sure weather like we are having today won't help.
I think it's been discussed here before but I see someone took the sharp curve at Harvey Rd. exit off south 6 just past University w/o slowing down and took out all the traffic control boxes. Was just a matter of time for that dangerous poorly planned off ramp.
GottaRide
S
The weather this winter has worked much more in their favor than against. I wish there was some public accountability for these delays. And the ramps are not lighted. A light at the entrance point isn't what I was talking about.
birdman
It is taking a ridiculous amount of time. But there usually isn't anybody out there working in the mornings. As near as I can tell, they just walked away from the job site.
KaneIsAble
AG
They're actually there every morning unless it rains or has recently rained. I'm there around 6:45 every morning and there's usually a few trucks with lights on in the construction area but I'm with other posters in believing I haven't seen much progress in the last couple of weeks.
Finding X
I think the people you see there in the morning with the lights on are KR crews that just picked up some breakfast tacos and stopped there to eat them before going to another job. I'm going to see if there is a TxDot number I can find and call - if so I'll post it here.

Back last Summer, I seriously expected this to be done by Thanksgiving and my wife joked that it was be Christmas. Now we're looking at Spring?
Alte Schule
In my previous post I mentioned the need for guard rails at the new on ramp. Went by on the detour feeder this evening on the way to work and saw new guard rails in place. Hopefully soon.......
DeckMe80
Alte Schule said:

In my previous post I mentioned the need for guard rails at the new on ramp. Went by on the detour feeder this evening on the way to work and saw new guard rails in place. Hopefully soon.......
And I'm sure we all understand that they could not have possibly installed the guardrails and the concrete drainage features at the same time.
curry97
AG
Hopefully they fixed the drainage issue for the beginning of the exit ramp. And speaking of KR, does anyone have a contact for the local office? One of their cement trucks decided to stop outside my fence along WDF and proceed to wash out his truck on the highway shoulder.
HRGuy
AG
Well it's Friday morning and the same group of guys standing around with their hands in their pockets. Does not look like it will be open today. I will head on down to Tabor Road and grab a U-turn.
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
mason12
AG
You might contact Deputy Hall with the sheriffs office environmental unit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.