WHAT, new roadway maintenance fee (tax)

7,061 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by grumpyoldman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The bright side is that you'll get more free starlight concerts this year!
texaggie2009
JR Ewing said:

Isn't the Hotel Occupancy Tax supposed to be used for things like roadways? Travelers to hotels use our roads when they come into town. Why should the burden be placed on local citizens? What have they used the HOT tax for? Is it just accumulating until they find a purpose for it? I'd like to know more about this. Also, if they would quit spending our tax dollars on freeway entrances and exits which cause accidents, then we would be much further along as a community. (Correction: a previous mistake on my part-the freeways were a product of TXDOT, not CofCS, so my bad). This was poorly done, as it was passed in November by council members who were on their way out...

Unfortunately no, the use of occupancy taxes are very restricted by state law. Expenditures must fit into a handful of categories, and street projects are not one of them. It is chapter 351 of the Texas tax code if you want details. The cliff notes version is it can only be used to fund programs that attract tourists. The infastucure those tourists enjoy must be paid by local taxpayers. I think a significant portion of it goes towards paying back bonds taken out for the Kyle Field renovation, but that is third hand info. The city publishes their budget online, and HOT should be shown as a separate fund.
grumpyoldman
texaggie2009 said:

Unfortunately no, the use of occupancy taxes are very restricted by state law. Expenditures must fit into a handful of categories, and street projects are not one of them.

Yeah, this is frustrating! I understand the need for some restrictions, but believe that since visitors use our roads that the taxes they pay should help with our transportation infrastructure needs. I plan to call my state rep to voice my desire for a change.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.