WHAT, new roadway maintenance fee (tax)

7,067 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by grumpyoldman
Our-turn-to-rule
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holy crap. Another way found to fleece tax payers. Sucks!!

This city is trying to hard to become California like.
Clo004
Did you just learn about this? It was on the news and was talked about on here.
95_Aggie
AG
timely post
TellMeMore
Sell your property. Problem solved.
Raise the rent. Problem solved.
Anything else we can help you with?
Scruffy
AG
What if I don't drive?
australopithecus robustus
It's been very well established that this city is not developer friendly.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

What if I don't drive?
I don't have kids in public school.
Scruffy
AG
Don't we already pay taxes for roads?
How much more money does the city need?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

the city is in a bad way due to decades of really poor foresight.
UmustBKidding
If it was in your property tax it would at least be deductible from your federal return, but noooo. SO we make these silly fees to hide the fact that the effective tax rate is far higher than the published tax rate. And then we rob the enterprise groups so they don't have the money to upgrade infrastructure as it was setup to do so will have to have large bond packages to pay for it and instead pay for things like police that should be included in the standard tax base.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Like every fee, they'll just throw it in the general fund and say that it added $x to improve roads...but where the money goes, nobody knows

But the new facilities they're building for themselves are really nice and all new police cars and pension plans are Cadillac and they'll redone hotels next to existing neighborhoods....

Crappy run city
Frio Cielo
I don't necessarily disagree with the fee, although much of the money probably can come from taxes already collected, but I don't see the logic in charging a single family dwelling a higher charge than a multi-family residence?

You would think it would be just the oppoisite as many of the multifamily properties have from two to 10 persons living at the property with most all having a vehicle while most single family dwellings have two or three vehicles at the most.
95_Aggie
AG
nvm
UmustBKidding
COCS is far more worried about getting more parks assessment cash out of the multiple family properties.
I am totally against the fees, they are taxes, set a rate that will support the necessary revenue and be done with it. Problem is that if they do it will be far above the amount that is subject to a potential rollback by the taxpayers. But by delaying it there is even more risk because at some point they will not be able to have the tax assessor dial up property values a few percent and increase the tax rate just short of the rollback threshold and have enough money.
I personally believe that the COCS staff, and elected officials drink to much of the Texas Municipal League koolaid. TML's propaganda is the outline for how badly mismanaged cities can grow their way out of a history of bad decisions. Only problem is forced growth got them into making these bad decisions in the first place.
Residents need to understand things like you force developers to fund building a bunch of parks you end needing lots of cash to maintain them, as I remember around $2M/yr in COCS. Bonds should require stating the expected maintenance cost on the ballot. We have a parking garage we would like to sell you!
And most of all they need to understand the quality of life is tied directly to the pace of life. There was an editorial by the last mayor about how we need to figure out how to fund all these new things to maintain the desired quality of life in CS. Guess what as far as many are concerned adding parks, having nice stores and restaurants and fancy medians in the road matter far less than that we have 2x as many people in town than its infrastructure will support. I personally am for keeping the infrastructure and getting rid of half the rooftops, or at a minimum quit removing restrictions and enforcing long ago laid plans to keep growth at a reasonable pace.
The COCS P&Z group is out trying to execute the TML playbook. More rooftops at all cost, it would be horrible if any development was pushed to Bryan or into the county.
If COCS was a business they would be out of business. But cities are not businesses, but some business sense, even a little common sense at city hall would be helpful.
SumAggie
Quote:

City government, like all government entities, have an insatiable appetite for money.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
AGnCS said:

Quote:

What if I don't drive?

I think the people in Emerald Forest subdivision would have to throw the bs flag on that statement
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

to play devil's advocate, a minimally educated citizenry is a public good, no?

i think property tax is a contradiction of terms and no one should pay it, for the record. You cant say you own something if you have to pay someone not to take it away from you, that's mob protection- not governance.
JR Ewing
AG
Isn't the Hotel Occupancy Tax supposed to be used for things like roadways? Travelers to hotels use our roads when they come into town. Why should the burden be placed on local citizens? What have they used the HOT tax for? Is it just accumulating until they find a purpose for it? I'd like to know more about this. Also, if they would quit spending our tax dollars on freeway entrances and exits which cause accidents, then we would be much further along as a community. (Correction: a previous mistake on my part-the freeways were a product of TXDOT, not CofCS, so my bad). This was poorly done, as it was passed in November by council members who were on their way out...
Vox Humana
I am supportive of a dedicated funding source for street maintenance. We should put taking care of what we've got at a higher priority than buying new stuff. There are, however, some questions that should be asked.

Is the entire road fee going to be dedicated to roadway maintenance?

Will the new fee contribute additional money to the street maintenance effort or will it simply get the same funding level from the new source?

If the new fee makes more money available in the general fund, where will it be spent?
91_Aggie
AG
Got my utility bill today with the notice that I'll be contributing almost $9 per month to this ridiculousness.
Mon Dow 2000
AG
Maybe some of y'all should go to work for the City and show them how to properly run these departments. You could also run for City Council.

Of course crying on TexAgs is easier than actually doing anything positive to help.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Mon Dow 2000 said:

Maybe some of y'all should go to work for the City and show them how to properly run these departments. You could also run for City Council.

Of course crying on TexAgs is easier than actually doing anything positive to help.

Says the guy who works at city hall. Sorry, I've created and run a real business your like gets to tax the crap out of it.
Mon Dow 2000
AG
I do not work for City Hall. I have served on several City citizens committes. The City staff I worked with are hard working people. They also care about how the taxpayer's money is spent.

My statement still stands that you would rather complain than help.
FlyRod
We really need a "most memorable complaint" thread. I suspect it wouldn't last very long.
jrhmc
AG
Frio Cielo said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the fee, although much of the money probably can come from taxes already collected, but I don't see the logic in charging a single family dwelling a higher charge than a multi-family residence?

You would think it would be just the oppoisite as many of the multifamily properties have from two to 10 persons living at the property with most all having a vehicle while most single family dwellings have two or three vehicles at the most.
But if it was a property tax, most of those people wouldn't be paying it. Since it's a utility, each unit in the multifamily property is paying the fee. I think that might be one reason they made it a fee instead of a tax. If they had made it a tax, we would all be on here complaining that those who rent don't have to pay it.
Scruffy
AG
jrhmc said:

Frio Cielo said:

But if it was a property tax, most of those people wouldn't be paying it. Since it's a utility, each unit in the multifamily property is paying the fee. I think that might be one reason they made it a fee instead of a tax. If they had made it a tax, we would all be on here complaining that those who rent don't have to pay it.

You think landlords wouldn't pass the tax on to renters?
Post removed:
by user
kraut
AG
Scruffy said:

jrhmc said:

Frio Cielo said:

You think landlords wouldn't pass the tax on to renters?
If it is a property tax, someone is paying it. The landlord should roll it into the rent, but it would still get paid.

And I can deduct my property taxes in April. If I have to pay for more roads, I'd rather do it that way than this "fee".
duffelpud
AG
To me the bigger issue here is the precedent set by the council to just tack another 'fee' onto our utility bill when one of them gets a hard on to fund some new pet project. Want a senior center? Add a senior center "fee" to the utility bill. Want a major water feature? Add a water feature fee to the water bill. Want a new improved arts center? Add an arts center fee to the sewage bill, oh, wait...
Oogway
I agree, dufflepud, except this did have a precedent of sorts--IIRC, former governor Perry tacked on a $1.00 'fee' to your auto renewal by 'borrowing' the $1.00 fee that used to go to a different program (can't remember what the program was). That 'fee' was then put in the general fund to balance the budget. The folks, whose program funding disappeared, were able to get their 'fee' added back in so you were now paying $2.00 instead of one. I forget how long that extra fee was active, but considering how many drivers there are in Texas, that was a nice bonus for the general fund. *

If leaders think something is necessary, then maybe we need to discuss it ( this was done in several public meetings) and then vote on the hows and whens on making it happen.

*if I got any of this incorrect, feel free to set me straight.
This new tax makes me realize what a good decision it was to move out of College Station.

I'll continue to drive on your roads.
TLIAC
AG
Edmond Dantes said:

Quote:

to play devil's advocate, a minimally educated citizenry is a public good, no?

My thoughts exactlly. I'm not defending or complaining about the fee but whether you drive or not or have kids in public schools or not, you still benefit from having access to well maintained roads and living among an educated population. Remember many kids do not receive any type of structure or education of any kind at home. Unfortunately, their teachers have to assume the role of parents in that respect.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Remember many kids do not receive any type of structure or education of any kind at home. Unfortunately, their teachers have to assume the role of parents in that respect.

How is that working out?

Choose one:

(A)
(B)
(C)
(D)
(E)
TLIAC
AG
duffelpud said:

Quote:

Remember many kids do not receive any type of structure or education of any kind at home. Unfortunately, their teachers have to assume the role of parents in that respect.

How is that working out?

Choose one:

(A)
(B)
(C)
(D)
(E)
In more cases than you might think, teachers can have a very positive influence on those kids. I see it everyday working at CSHS. Plus, at the very least, it's better than nothing. Also, my kids lived with their Dad during high school so I've been paying school taxes for about 14 years with no kids in CSISD. I would prefer to pay school tax and let kids have a better chance at success than the alternative.
ukbb2003
I guess my fee will go towards, what I can only guess, is some sort of "Welcome to CS" monument being constructed on 6 by University.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.