Parking ticket

5,159 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stupe
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody ever get a parking ticket for parking the wrong direction (facing traffic) on the street? And is it really a criminal violation?
91_Aggie
AG
It really is a violation. Might be nit-picky, but it is something you should have learned in Driver's Ed. I took Driver's ed back in 1985 and I still remember it.
AggiePhil
AG
Right wheels have to be against the curb except on a one way street.
Stupe
S
Yes, it really is a violation. In theory, can't pull in and park or pull out from parking the wrong way without driving the wrong way on the street. It's a great law in cities because people that park the wrong direction can create a headache when they are leaving.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Johnny Manziel did and couldnt wait to get out of this town, whenever that may be.

Stupid law. Stupid cop for enforcing a stupid law.
CEAg78
AG
Edmond Dantes said:

NOT a stupid law. Obviously, you were driving on the wrong side of the street if you parked on the wrong side of the street. And you will drive on the wrong side of the street when you leave.

Looks like three violations to me. Be grateful they only got you for one.

A cop is never stupid for enforcing the law.
Stupe
S
Well said.

Although I wouldn't use the term "never" in your last sentence.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

A cop is never stupid for enforcing the law.

critical thought isnt a bad thing. I could post thousands of examples for cops being stupid for enforcing stupid laws, but frankly one disproves your point.
Mathguy64
AG
Edmond Dantes said:

Hates Fargos.
Tottenham supporter.
Drives on wrong side of road.
Parks wrong way on street.

Spreadsheet updated
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

NOT a stupid law. Obviously, you were driving on the wrong side of the street if you parked on the wrong side of the street. And you will drive on the wrong side of the street when you leave.
I'm sorry you think violence is a good solution to use against your neighbors for a nonviolent action. Tickets are extortion with the threat of violence, so you support using violence to curb this horrible epidemic of people parking on the street in a way you dont like.
Stupe
S
I hope nobody is stupid enough to respond to that little piece of troll bait.
AggiePlaya
AG
mathguy86 said:

Edmond Dantes said:

Hates Fargos.
Tottenham supporter.
Drives on wrong side of road.
Parks wrong way on street.

Spreadsheet updated
Too lazy to park correctly
Kbeauty63
AG
I did many years ago (when Bonfire was still on campus). Was out of town for Thanksgiving weekend - didn't even know I got a ticket until i got the 'late notice' from the City. Someone had taken it off my windshield.
ComfortAg
AG
Just curious, but can I assume this ticket was issued in College Station?
src94
AG
Yes, issued in CS, in front of my house at 11:00pm in a quiet neighborhood. I'm guessing a disgruntled neighbor called it in.
Rexter
Code enforcement will give tickets for that, along with wheels being more than 18" from the curb.

The issue with parking facing the wrong direction is that if you have a vehicle parked facing you, you can't see when you pull into the oncoming lane to leave until you are blocking the lane.
AggieAces06
AG
ComfortAg said:

Just curious, but can I assume this ticket was issued in College Station?

If it was, it was most likely written by code enforcement and not CSPD.
95_Aggie
AG
Don't feed the troll.
src94
AG
Its safer than backing out of my driveway???
TLIAC
AG
Well this "stupid" cop has worked many "stupid" wrecks that occurred as a result of someone who was parked on the wrong side of the street and pulled away from the curb (going the wrong way) and hitting another vehicle that was going the right way.
SumAggie
src94 said:

Its safer than backing out of my driveway???
run for city council..... I'll vote against you.
AggieJason
AG
TLIAC said:

Well this "stupid" cop has working many "stupid" wrecks that occurred as a result of someone who was parked on the wrong side of the street and pulled away from the curb (going the wrong way) and hitting another vehicle that was going the right way.
C'mon, TLIAC, you know better to bring common sense and logic to a whiny *****-fest.

I'm glad you got a ticket, OP. I wish code enforcement wrote those tickets more frequently. Seems like easy money to me.
TLIAC
AG
AggieJason said:

TLIAC said:

Well this "stupid" cop has working many "stupid" wrecks that occurred as a result of someone who was parked on the wrong side of the street and pulled away from the curb (going the wrong way) and hitting another vehicle that was going the right way.
C'mon, TLIAC, you know better to bring common sense and logic to a whiny *****-fest.

I'm glad you got a ticket, OP. I wish code enforcement wrote those tickets more frequently. Seems like easy money to me.

What was I thinking????
AggiePhil
AG
Also, the majority of reflectors are on the rear of cars so if they are parked facing the wrong way, they aren't as visible to approaching cars at night.
src94
AG
I should have known better than to assume common sense would prevail. Not all laws (codes) are prudent in every situation. Thanks for your input. Merry Christmas!!!
jja79
AG
You broke the law, were cited and now are upset that people don't take your side? Democrats, jeez.
Stupe
S
src94 said:

I should have known better than to assume common sense would prevail. Not all laws (codes) are prudent in every situation. Thanks for your input. Merry Christmas!!!
Common sense did prevail.

You didn't.
rhoswen
AG
I've gotten one on a residential street AGES ago. I understand the reason for it, but on a lightly traveled residential street, maybe a friendly warning from Code Enforcement would suffice.
PS3D
src94 said:

Yes, issued in CS, in front of my house at 11:00pm in a quiet neighborhood. I'm guessing a disgruntled neighbor called it in.

If a neighbor complained about it, then maybe it wasn't as inconspicuous as you thought it was.
threecatcorner
Neighbors don't have to call to complain. Code enforcement just goes around and checks sometimes.
4lilmonkeys
PS3D said:

src94 said:

If a neighbor complained about it, then maybe it wasn't as inconspicuous as you thought it was.

This.

We have two houses full of students at the end of our street (one on each corner). Instead of parking correctly in front of their house or across the street (which is wider, has a sidewalk and would not block mailboxes or driveways) we have a total of six cars or more lined up on both sides of our street right at the entrance. All usually parked in the wrong direction.

Not only is it annoying, it's especially dangerous when children are playing or walking home from school because they are forced to walk down the middle of the road. Two cars cannot pass at the same time and, you can't see them in the dark or if the weather is bad, like this past weekend.

To the OP: Maybe you think it's not a big deal, but I bet you would be the first one to lose it if someone hit you while you were in violation.
Dennis Reynolds
AggiePhil said:

Also, the majority of reflectors are on the rear of cars so if they are parked facing the wrong way, they aren't as visible to approaching cars at night.
If you can't spot a car on the side of the street from a good distance, no matter which way it's facing, you either need better headlights or you don't need to be driving in the first place.

Then again, I park the correct way if I ever have to park on the street.
91_Aggie
AG
Just like any law, there are cases where it seems dumb to enforce it.

Example:
You come to a 4-way stop sign intersection in the middle of nowhere and you can easily see there are no cars, no pedestrians within a mile of you. There's no reason to stop in that case, but if a cop is parked somewhere you can't see him and you blow through it, you are going to get a ticket.

You are on a bicycle in the same situation, and you just blow through the stop sign... you'll get a ticket if a cop is there (and this happens even if there are cars because bicyclists are the biggest hypocrites in the world... They will yell and scream until they are blue in the face if a car doesn't recognize them as a real vehicle with the same rights to the road as car, but stop signs, signalling turns, traffic lights don't really apply to them if it is inconvenient for them).
GoneGirl
AG
So, is there a list somewhere of which laws we're supposed to obey and which ones it's ok to just ignore?

I've not ever seen it. Who makes that list? And does the PD get a copy of it?
ratfacemcdougal
Edmond Dantes said:

Stupid laws are made for Stupid people who are too Stupid to have a clue.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of one. --Spock
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.