PRN graduate nurses vs. fullt-time hourly rate

1,710 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by barbwire
Mitsydog
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Hi,
So I have had a couple of RNs tell me that at St. Joe's a PRN nurse makes more an hour than full-time because the PRNs don't get benefits. Does anyone know how MUCH of a difference it is per hour? Do PRNs get shift differentials?

also, is S&W the same way? Thanks as always. I'm wanting L&D at St. Joe's but they don't hire GN, so I thought about doing the women's float pool.
cslifer
I have never heard of anyone hiring a GN as PRN, the whole point of the GN is being full time and getting a lot of "on the job" training. To answer the other part of your question joes used to be 10% more if you elected to not take benefits, not sure if that changed now that they are a chi facility.
ETA yes everyone gets shift dif if you are working hours that get it.
Mitsydog
Sorry for my ignorance, so will I need to wait until I pass my boards to be hired PRN?
Mitsydog
I just wasn't planning on full-time right away.
justalocal
I think what cslifer is saying is that most hospitals hire PRNs that are experienced so they can minimize their training.

Have you talked with HR at St. Joes? Or hiring managers to see if they are open to a new grad as a PRN. Part time might be more plausible. I can't speak for all areas but the specialty that I work in has a 6-12 month training depending on your experience as a nurse. GN is a 2 year fulltime commitment, and yes you sign a contract.

justalocal
Mitsydog said:

Sorry for my ignorance, so will I need to wait until I pass my boards to be hired PRN?
You can apply for whatever you want but I wouldn't bank on a callback by St. Joes unless you are buddy buddy with a team leader/unit manager. There is a big difference between clinicals and being on your own.

I'll tell you that a nursing home or rock prairie behavioral health will most likely hire you PRN as a new grad. Just remember, you worked for that license and it can be taken away.
cslifer
Justalocal hit the nail on the head with the fact that GN is a full time commitment. There is a lot to learn when you are a GN, charting software, policy, Department procedures/protocol ect. As a PRN employee your hours are irregular and often when the department is short/minimum staffed anyway, it would take waaaaay to long to make you a functional member of the team who can carry your own assignment. I would get a job at the hospital, on med/surg if you have to (they always seem short), work a couple years, then put in for a transfer to whatever department you want. Also, you mentioned float pool earlier...those folks make darn good money BUT you need some experience under your belt as you are expected to function wherever they send you. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming graduation! No more care plans to turn in!!!
Mitsydog
Wow, thanks so much! I'm wondering if they are going to teach us all of this info in professional transitions because so far I had no idea about the transition process and contracts with GN.
dubi
AG
Mitsydog said:

Wow, thanks so much! I'm wondering if they are going to teach us all of this info in professional transitions because so far I had no idea about the transition process and contracts with GN.
Did you ask your nursing instructors? or just Texags?
barbwire
When I did PRN at SJ the base was around $26 (in 2012) + 25% and you do get shift diff. I was PRN on the medical floor and I could have worked as many hours as I wanted. I had 6 months RN experience prior to that and not on a hospital floor. I went through the new nurse orientation which was like 2 weeks then 6-8 weeks preceptorship. If you can get your foot in the door, work hard, be a good employee you'll have a better chance of moving to another department in about a year. A great amount of it will depend on your attitude. L&D can be hard to get into though. Don't know anything about the Med. S&W does have a float pool but I doubt they'd hire a GN bc you have to float pretty much all throughout the hospital. You might find a PRN spot for a GN somewhere within the hospital though.

Don't do Rock Prairie Behavioral Health, just don't. Have heard so many horror stories from nurses who worked there. Yea they pay good and it's experience but you'll probably hate your life unless psych is your thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.