Looking for Custom Builder Recommendations

6,442 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by (Removed:11023A)
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am cross posting this from the real estate board because this one gets more traffic.

We just purchased a few acres in College Station and want to begin the design and building process. We have a few names in mind, but I would be interested in any positive and negative recommendations or suggestions from other who have gone through this process.

We are looking for a custom builder who can help with overall land layout planning, floor plan design, land clearing, interior and exterior recommendations, and obviously building the house itself.

So, please give me your recommendations, good bad and ugly!
CEAg78
AG
Why aren't you using an architect?
AggieAces06
AG
CEAg78 said:

I don't know... that's the purpose of this thread. To find out things we don't know or what to look for.

What benefit would an architect be vs a builder who is able to also do the plans?
ChampsAg
CGM
JustPanda
AG
Robert Dame for architect and Andy Abercrombie for home builder.
The Original AG 76
AG
You best prepare yourself for some insane quotes ! You ain't in Kansas anymore!
AgSportsFan
AG
CGM
jac4
AG
AggieAces06 said:

CEAg78 said:

I don't know... that's the purpose of this thread. To find out things we don't know or what to look for.

What benefit would an architect be vs a builder who is able to also do the plans?

After recently going through the custom home building process (2013-2014), I would strongly recommend starting with an architect. We didn't. God willing I'll die in the house I live in now. If we ever built again, I'd use an architect.

EDIT: Also, get someone to consider the drainage beforehand. Most builders won't. More concrete or a taller foundation on the front end will give you more options later on if drainage is an issue.
NateDog
AG
Quote:

After recently going through the custom home building process (2013-2014), I would strongly recommend starting with an architect. We didn't. God willing I'll die in the house I live in now. If we ever built again, I'd use an architect.

We built less recently, but I wanted to echo this sentiment. Our builder had someone that could produce drawings, and we got what we asked for. In hindsight, we would have been well served to have a professional look at the plans and give recommendations.

Good luck, building a house is exciting!
Bucketrunner
We have been very pleased with Raven Homes and Tom Allen.
ukbb2003
There are several good home builders here. A few are:

Schaefer Custom Homes
Pitcock & Croix
Bluestone Partners
AggieAces06
AG
Thanks for the architects recommendation.

What else do y'all have?
CEAg78
AG
AggieAces06 said:

CEAg78 said:

I got distracted by work. And I wasn't trying to be snarky.

We have only met with our architect once and she helped us look at our plan differently and identified possible pitfalls in our site, etc. We are currently clearing to identify the specific site so we can begin design in earnest.

You also will need geotechnical sampling and possibly a foundation engineer. Your architect can hook you up with those.

Don't be cheap. Interview some architects and see if they can convince you of their worth.

Oh, and check on your utilities now. Electricity if available but you may need a well and septic system.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Bucketrunner said:

We have been very pleased with Raven Homes and Tom Allen.
do you mind if i ask what kinda per sq ft price range you're working with?
AggieAces06
AG
We for sure have electric as BTU lines run through it. We have checked on water and there is a hook up at the front of the property. We also know that we will have to have a septic as there is no waste water.

But we don't have any of the geological stuff yet. So that is a good suggestion. Elevation and drainage shouldn't be a problem as the property naturally slopes with a higher elevation towards the center where we plan on building.
aggiepaintrain
AG
blackstone
currie-s
AG
I can recommend Jeff Jones Custom Homes. He will take the time to build a home exactly to your specifications. I think he can also help you design your home or modify existing plans. Jeff has the utmost integrity and you will enjoy the building process with him.
gigemags03
AG
We used Bluestone Partners and will use them for our next house as well. I highly recommend adding them to your consideration list.
Bucketrunner
$170 ish
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
thanks!
CharlieMac
Aces.. PM or text me.
rcannaday
AG
Your foundation, whatever you do, do it right. As others have said drainage, its a real issue. Make sure you have your lot graded so that it drains.

Borski Brothers
AggieAces06
AG
I can't PM, and I don't have your number... What's your email?
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
We are blessed to have some great custom home builders here.

Borski homes is certainly one of them. Great people and easy to work with.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
ChampsAg
Message me on Facebook
techno-ag
AG
AggieAces06 said:

We for sure have electric as BTU lines run through it. We have checked on water and there is a hook up at the front of the property. We also know that we will have to have a septic as there is no waste water.

But we don't have any of the geological stuff yet. So that is a good suggestion. Elevation and drainage shouldn't be a problem as the property naturally slopes with a higher elevation towards the center where we plan on building.
You'll need to pay for the water line to the house. Could cost a couple thousand more or less depending on how far it needs to go. Also you'll want to bury the electric line to the house on your property. Talk with BTU on a quote soon as you figure out where you want the house.

If you have to take out a lot of trees, don't forget roots are still there and the ground may continue settling over time. Also budget for a road/driveway.

As for architects, consider using someone who works closely with your builder. Kip Kissenger is a good one, and works with some of the builders mentioned above.

The engineering firm you hire for the foundation will do core samples of the soil to determine needs. With the clay around here, chances are good they'll need to put in a slab with anchor piers, which can get pricey.

Finally, keep a healthy buffer in your budget for the unexpected. Try to roll everything you possibly can in the final budget sign off on to avoid change orders. And, keep your expectations on deadlines low. Contractors are stretched thin hereabouts, and weather can have a cascading effect on schedules.

Good luck, and welcome to God's country.
ontheedge
I haven't seen anywhere how large a home you want to build or maybe I just missed it. A certain amount of waterline is normally included in the plumbing price, ask the builder you choose.
AggieAces06
AG
Thank Techno! You've got some great suggestions.

We actually already live in CS. We just found a great piece of property that we couldn't pass up. So now the fun begins.
techno-ag
AG
ontheedge said:

I haven't seen anywhere how large a home you want to build or maybe I just missed it. A certain amount of waterline is normally included in the plumbing price, ask the builder you choose.
My thoughts on the waterline dealt with his statement of buying "a few acres." The allowance quoted to us was $800, but that was for a standard lot.
SumAggie
AggieAces06 said:

I am cross posting this from the real estate board because this one gets more traffic.

We just purchased a few acres in College Station and want to begin the design and building process. We have a few names in mind, but I would be interested in any positive and negative recommendations or suggestions from other who have gone through this process.

We are looking for a custom builder who can help with overall land layout planning, floor plan design, land clearing, interior and exterior recommendations, and obviously building the house itself.

So, please give me your recommendations, good bad and ugly!
https://www.facebook.com/mariotthomes/
Bigderk21
AG
Pitman custom homes!!
313-7-12thMan
Give the guys at Blackstone a call. I know that they work with MLAW Engineering to do soil analysis and engineered foundations as part of their construction standards.
Optimized
AG
I would not use Blackstone. If you want to discuss off board message me.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
DONT BUILD IN CS. THE CITY Will **** You FOR EVERY DOLLAR.
tgivaughn
AG
Very wise comments - thanks!
http://pages.suddenlink.net/tgivaughn/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.