ALDI grand opening

9,320 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stucco
bionat80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone go to the Grand Opening at ALDI today? Your thoughts?
nashvilleaggie11
Drove by at about 9:30 (30 minute after they opened) and the parking lot was INSANE...people were parked on the sides, there was a line of what looked like 100 people out the door still...
ChampsAg
Saw people carrying swag bags walking down the road
techno-ag
AG
Got my coupon in the mail. I'll give them a shot.
FlyRod
Pioneers get the arrows. I'm going to wait until they have time to iron the kinks out.
PS3D
I went today, after the crushing morning crowds. Reasonably well stocked, fast checkout all things considered, a LOT of people, carts free that day, free samples, and free tote bags.

It's the first supermarket of any sort in town in over three years and the first all-new brand since the early 1990s. What's not to like?
malibu9in1
PS3D said:

I went today, after the crushing morning crowds. Reasonably well stocked, fast checkout all things considered, a LOT of people, carts free that day, free samples, and free tote bags.

It's the first supermarket of any sort in town in over three years and the first all-new brand since the early 1990s. What's not to like?

Free carts?? Huh?
All new store since 90's? Bro. There are a good 3 or 4 brand new stores in the last 10 years.
isitjustme
AG
Carts cost a quarter to rent, which is refundable upon return.

And PS3D said first new brand, i.e. type of store in since early 90s, which is correct.
91_Aggie
AG
I don't know what an ALDI is?????
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

The Original AG 76
AG
ill be curious how many of you will go back once the " newness" wears off. I have one literally in y back yard on Barker Cypress in Houston . Went during opening weekend and then a few weeks later.
Second trip didn't have a quarter in my pocket so had to go in and get change from the 1 cashier working. Got my stuff then realized I had to buy. adamn bag and do my own bagging...I see no reason to go thru this. The stuff aint special and the prices aren't that great. Just some fad and I won't return. BTW..neither are my neighbors, we just aren't the types to put up that Austin type crap in order to save a few dollars
Tanya 93
I like our Aldi because of the amazingly cheap gluten free products.
FlyRod
Given their proximity to Walmart, well...prolly not gonna make it.
Tanya 93
FlyRod said:

The one does fine here despite being not far from either a Walmart or Target.
FlyRod
I'm surprised. Walmart seems to have a much better selection and prices that are at least comparable.

I know that Aldi does have some bizarre following...a cousin of mine in Massachusetts who is, to put it mildy, extremely wealthy, only shops at Aldi.
gettingitdone
Is Aldi's anything like Sprouts?
FlyRod
No. I'd say more like Food King.
Tanya 93
FlyRod said:

I'm surprised. Walmart seems to have a much better selection and prices that are at least comparable.

I know that Aldi does have some bizarre following...a cousin of mine in Massachusetts who is, to put it mildy, extremely wealthy, only shops at Aldi.
The Aldi here is much, much cheaper on certain things.
MarineBQ04
AG
+1 for Aldi and their cheap priced, good quality gluten free items.
Matsui
AG
Aldi's is for budget shoppers.
mgreen
The Original AG 76 said:

ill be curious how many of you will go back once the " newness" wears off. I have one literally in y back yard on Barker Cypress in Houston . Went during opening weekend and then a few weeks later.
Second trip didn't have a quarter in my pocket so had to go in and get change from the 1 cashier working. Got my stuff then realized I had to buy. adamn bag and do my own bagging...I see no reason to go thru this. The stuff aint special and the prices aren't that great. Just some fad and I won't return. BTW..neither are my neighbors, we just aren't the types to put up that Austin type crap in order to save a few dollars
They are an old client of mine. They have been around for many years and have thousands of locations. Not a fad at all.
Aston04
AG
FlyRod said:

They've opened 2 Aldi's recently around where I live - pretty clear they purposely locate near Walmarts. And their prices are generally better than Walmart, often significantly cheaper. They have serious cost advantages with their more efficient operations.
AgsWin2011
AG
What's the whole deal about bringing a quarter to Aldi? Do you have to pay a quarter to rent a grocery basket?
halibut sinclair
Heismenberg said:

What's the whole deal about bringing a quarter to Aldi? Do you have to pay a quarter to rent a grocery basket?
You get the quarter back when you return the cart.
FlyRod
It's a Yurrip thing...having lived in 4 Yurripeen countries, it's pretty common...like bringing your own shopping bags.
isitjustme
AG
Just got back from Aldi - still very crowded so I didn't really get a chance to explore the 4-aisle store that much. However, we did buy a few items, prices were fine, and it seems like a place I'll be going back to once the new wears off.
techno-ag
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Just always amazed by how other locals are so enamoured with new businesses like they've never been out of town before.

It's true of a lot of places, though, and not a unique phenomenon. Relatives in other states often remark how the new places get swamped.
TKDMom
Our oldest does her shopping at Aldi's in her town. She was very excited that we were getting one here. She tells me that it's like any other store, you have to be strategic and use it in conjunction with other stores. The model, with "renting" a shopping cart for a quarter and then begging your own groceries reminds me a lot of Tom Thumb back in the mid-80s.
techno-ag
AG
TKDMom said:

The model, with "renting" a shopping cart for a quarter and then begging your own groceries reminds me a lot of Tom Thumb back in the mid-80s.
We used to have a discount grocer on the corner of Rosemary and Texas that was supposed to be super cheap. Was it a Jewel T? Don't remember. Anyways, hopefully Aldi will last longer.
PS3D
techno-ag said:

TKDMom said:

The model, with "renting" a shopping cart for a quarter and then begging your own groceries reminds me a lot of Tom Thumb back in the mid-80s.
We used to have a discount grocer on the corner of Rosemary and Texas that was supposed to be super cheap. Was it a Jewel T? Don't remember. Anyways, hopefully Aldi will last longer.
Yes. It became Texas-T in the 1980s and then Save-a-Lot briefly after that. That was before my time, though...
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

TKDMom said:

Yes. It became Texas-T in the 1980s and then Save-a-Lot briefly after that. That was before my time, though...
I went in there a couple times. I recall they carried generic food in white cans with simple text telling you what was inside. GREEN BEANS. CORN. etc.
PS3D
techno-ag said:

PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

TKDMom said:

I went in there a couple times. I recall they carried generic food in white cans with simple text telling you what was inside. GREEN BEANS. CORN. etc.
The parent company of Jewel-T, Jewel Companies of Illinois, pioneered the "generic" brand. (Publicity shot via Pleasant Family Shopping). While Jewel-T was divested, the company was bought by American Stores in the early 1980s, which ran the Skaggs Alpha Beta in town (and later rebranded that to a Jewel-Osco itself).
UmustBKidding
You have not lived until you had nothing in your pantry except generic white can black stripe jewel t spam.
One of the two time I was broke in college before atm. Missed getting to the MSC check cashing desk before they closed.
techno-ag
The Original AG 76
AG
UmustBKidding said:

You have not lived until you had nothing in your pantry except generic white can black stripe jewel t spam.
One of the two time I was broke in college before atm. Missed getting to the MSC check cashing desk before they closed.

remember the days when you could get a $20 loan from the MSC desk also ? I believe all you had to do was show your student ID. It was a savior. There was also a Stop N Rob at Plantation Oaks Apts where you could write a check for $5.00 over purchase. We would buy Keystone beer for about $1.05 a six pack and get $5.00...parrrrrty weekend baby !!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.