New hotel development in Emerald Forest?

12,889 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by techno-ag
soso33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello, I heard about a hotel development coming to Emerald Forest. Does anyone here have more info? thanks
duffelpud
AG
Rezoning in progress for a Wingate Hotel. The City contact person for this rezoning project is Jessica Bullock - 764-3570.
soso33
Thanks. A hotel will complement that neighborhood nicely.
QuitTrippin
That combined with 2818 cutting straight through EF should make for some interesting discussions for our city leaders. Good luck with that.

gunan01
AG
soso33 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Wait, you were joking right?
QuitTrippin
And Wingate Hotels are on the low end of hotels and that's being nice.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Wingates used to be really nice a few yrs ago. They tried to compete w Hampton but couldn't. So they knocked the quality down a bit to make em less expensive to build. But they aren't terrible.

On the expansion of Emerald Pkwy there is no way that passes right? That whole plan seems so bizarre.
soso33
is there more information about the expansion of 2818 available? It would be super convenient if it could go all the way to Highway 30.
techno-ag
AG
soso33 said:

Yup. I'm sure the neighbors would prefer a hotel over restaurants. The Wood Creek people got upset over plans for a restaurant near them a few years back.
soso33
Whether it's by rezoning or seizure by eminent domain, the wants of a neighborhood shouldn't impede progress driven by capitalism. The market will sort itself out. It always does. We need to build hotels and restaurants while the iron is hot. These neighborhoods (and Pebble Creek, Nantucket, and pretty much all of South College Station neighborhoods) are a perfect place for them. Think of it as our own little Woodlands!
BigBubba
AG
Where? Which lot? I assume this is land on the frontage road.
duffelpud
AG
Roughly here.
Mr. Griswold
I'm looking forward to seeing that area developed in the future. ALL new development doesn't have to be on the south side of town.
coconuthead
Can someone link to the 2818 expansion info? I've done some light Googling and searched these boards but didn't have any luck.
QuitTrippin
I believe this is it
i'll take a hotel over a highway!!

http://bcsmpo.org/files/2714/7732/7048/Public_Handout_DRAFT_2050_BRAZOS_COUNTY_BCS_MPO_THOROUGHFARE_PLAN_CONCEPT_20161006-11X17Print.pdf
AC Hopper
S

Quote:

Whether it's by rezoning or seizure by eminent domain, the wants of a neighborhood shouldn't impede progress driven by capitalism. The market will sort itself out. It always does. We need to build hotels and restaurants while the iron is hot. These neighborhoods (and Pebble Creek, Nantucket, and pretty much all of South College Station neighborhoods) are a perfect place for them. Think of it as our own little Woodlands!

You must be a real-estate-developer, a member of the planning and zoning board, an internet troll ... or live under a rock!

Everyone with a brain recognizes that the week-ender type of hotels are overbuilt in College Station and that occupancy rates are low. I'm figuring as the Ags keep losing SEC home games Kyle Field's occupancy rate will plummet to, and hover forever between, 50 and 60 percent, thereby putting the hotel business in the deep weeds. Nobody else gonna come to this town and stay in a hotel, except the firefighters and eggheads, and the Hilton and the university have those groups sewed up.

Instead of seeing them turn into blight -- and later shuttering and scraping them -- I suppose all of these flash-in-the-pan hotel properties could be converted to student housing, senior living, or Section 8 ghettos.

Get real, Bud!
Stupe
S
soso33 said:

Whether it's by rezoning or seizure by eminent domain, the wants of a neighborhood shouldn't impede progress driven by capitalism.
I'm guessing / hoping that you typed that in order to get a rise out people.
techno-ag
AG
AC Hopper said:

Quote:

You must be a real-estate-developer, a member of the planning and zoning board, an internet troll ... or live under a rock!

Everyone with a brain recognizes that the week-ender type of hotels are overbuilt in College Station and that occupancy rates are low. I'm figuring as the Ags keep losing SEC home games Kyle Field's occupancy rate will plummet to, and hover forever between, 50 and 60 percent, thereby putting the hotel business in the deep weeds.

Instead of seeing them turn into blight -- and later shuttering and scraping them -- I suppose the hotels could be converted to student housing.

From what I understand, the hotel industry looks at the same data, and BCS keeps showing as a good place to build. Home games are important, but don't forget graduations, parents weekend, sports tournaments, firefighter and disaster training, and a growing set of conferences. Not to mention hurricane evacuations and holiday visitation.

I think the hotels will do alright.
AC Hopper
S
Nobody else gonna come to this town and stay in a hotel, except the firefighters and eggheads, and the Hilton and the university have those groups sewed up.
techno-ag
AG
AC Hopper said:

Nobody else gonna come to this town and stay in a hotel, except the firefighters and eggheads, and the Hilton and the university's got those groups sewed up.
Lots of research on this. Also, don't forget many travelers prefer a specific brand of hotel because of points, and that explains some of the proliferation too.
AC Hopper
S
Three thoughts ............

- LOL at "hurricane evacuations and holiday visitation" keeping an overbuilt hotel segment in the black. Good luck with that.

- Proliferation equals and is a euphemism for overbuilt.

- You must be a builder-partner with the Johnny-come-lately hotel real estate guys.
FlyRod
I think both of you are correct.
Frio Cielo
coconuthead said:

Can someone link to the 2818 expansion info? I've done some light Googling and searched these boards but didn't have any luck.

Emerald Pkwy could easily be extended to Bird Pond Road just before you get to Hwy 30. No advocating that and would be totally against it if I lived in EP.
techno-ag
AG
AC Hopper said:

Three thoughts ............

- LOL at "hurricane evacuations and holiday visitation" keeping an overbuilt hotel segment in the black. Good luck with that.
Let's be careful not to put words in my mouth. A&M is the driving force behind the hotels here, no doubt. But it would be silly to suggest Houston folks never evacuate here and that no one stays here or visits here for other reasons.

Quote:

- You must be a builder-partner with the Johnny-come-lately hotel real estate guys.
Lulz.
AgProgrammer
AG
We live in Emerald Forest and I don't see it happening. The ~2 miles from the back side of Emerald Forest to where it would connect into Bird Pond is all flood plain. Both Bee Creek and Carter's Creek (where the wastewater treatment plant drains to) cuts through that area. They would essentially have to build a 2 mile elevated grade highway through that whole area. I just don't see them ever being able to come up with the funds for that.

I think they will have much better luck widening Rock Prairie from Highway 6 to where it intersects with Highway 40 by Williams Creek. They have already started on plans to widen Rock Prairie by the Scott & White Hospital and can see that continuing to William D Fitch.
Kitten With A Whip
soso33 said:

is there more information about the expansion of 2818 available? It would be super convenient if it could go all the way to Highway 30.
What would make it even MORE super convenient is if they'd elevate most or all of 2818 and making an entire loop around both cities.
PS3D
coconuthead said:

I saw a "Stop 2818" sign when I was in Emerald Forest last week, and all I found was a KBTX story with a proposed plan (for the "Metro 2050" plan) with FM 2818 going through to Highway 30. Personally, I would rather see Highway 40 upgrade to a full freeway to Highway 30...would certainly be more feasible from a land acquisition standpoint.

As for hotels, I don't think we've reached saturation point. If the Motel 6 on Texas Avenue is still $50 on non-football weekends and we haven't gotten stuck with shady off-the-shelf motels like you see on Houston freeways, then I think we could use a few more.
chigger
AG
EF resident... definitely not a fan. While I can appreciate that it is an obvious idea to propose, it will destroy the neighborhood. 6 lane ROW? Seriously? Anyone who says they'd support that in their neighborhood is insane.
91_Aggie
AG

No one spends that much on building a new hotel without doing their research... and it will be much more research than yokels taking a gander at the number of hotels in town and thinking "That is way too many hotels for this town, gol' durn' it"

AC Hopper
S
RE: the Metropolitan Planning Organization's Thoroughfare Plan for 2050

Looks like a pipe dream about possibilities for expressway 'loops' in Brazos County.

Planners gonna plan. Here's their Intense Map!
jrhmc
AG
AC Hopper said:

Nobody else gonna come to this town and stay in a hotel, except the firefighters and eggheads, and the Hilton and the university have those groups sewed up.
You are very funny or very misinformed. Companies who headquarter in town (there are more than you think) have a hard time getting hotel rooms for their people who travel here even now that we have all of these new hotels. It's not just game weekends and firefighters anymore.
Aggies76
AG
Should it be considered a conflict of interest if we have member(s) of the Planning and Zoning Commission who are brokers and stand to profit nicely from rezoning tracts of land along Highway 6 for commercial use?
Chris98
AG
What else should land, along Hwy6, be zoned? As much as we all may hate it, B/CS is rapidly growing. Hwy6 will probably resemble 290 someday.
Oogway
Well, we already have the construction chaos down pat so we're halfway there. ....
EBrazosAg
AG
Really, what else would you have land on a busy highway be zoned? Enough of it went to churches before it got too steep that there is already a significant amount of it off the tax rolls. Add in the older businesses that don't have the land use or valuation or sales tax to contribute what newer development would and you have a real problem. Schools, city and county have to find the dollars somewhere, and if not in those taxes it will be on homeowners and through new fees.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.