Help! Where can my family help those in need?

1,271 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stupe
Sailor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need to teach my kids (and me as well) some humility and feel the best way to do that is to volunteer or provide assistance for someone less fortunate than us during the holidays. Kids are 15 and 12. Ideas?
Max06
AG
Radio MASH is coming up next week, they always need help.
MiMi
S
+1 for RadioMASH. You can call the radio station (KORA) and ask for when they are in most need of volunteers. MASH starts Thursday morning (Dec 1) and goes through Sunday evening. It's located in the Post Oak Mall parking lot near Chuy's. The event will collect new and gently-used toys for over 7500 children in under 100 hours, so all volunteer help (and toy donations) will be greatly appreciated!

RadioMASH
Sailor
This sounds PERFECT! Thanks for the replies!
medic1969p
Ring the Salvation Army Bell

Get a Christmas Angel off the tree and purchase gifts.

Volunteer at the food bank.
TXCityGirl
Salvation Army bell ringing is easy and fun for all ages.
Blessings in Bags is an effort to raise funds for food for BCS residents (they have a Facebook page).
Brazos Valley Food Bank is always a great place to help out.
Also check with the United Way and CSPD who donate gifts to children during this time of year. It would be great to deliver gifts to families. You can also volunteer for the Angel Tree.
meezermom
What is the Angel tree? We might be interested in getting some gifts but I have no idea where this is!
jrhmc
AG
Usually there's an Angel Tree at Blue Baker, one in the mall, one at HEB, and then also at several area churches.

For another idea if you have time around lunch time, you can deliver for Meals On Wheels. They can always use more people to deliver and the people you deliver to love to see the kids if you take them with you. We did this for several years at Christmas and now that my son is old enough to drive, we do a regular route every other week.
medic1969p
The Salvation Army Angel tree is located at many retail stores around town.

The food for families food drive is also coming up December 7th and I'm sure they could use some volunteers as well
momlaw
AG
Dadlaw is a CASA. His kids in the system have benefited from Angel Tree. Fosters and family members are stretched thin, especially with multiple siblings. This means a great deal to those care giving as well as the kids receiving.
Kendall Rogers
AG
My understanding is that lots of college student deliver food for Meals on Wheels and many probably will be home for Christmas. They probably need preparers and delivery persons.
MarineBQ04
AG
+1 for Bell Ringing it is a lot of fun. This is something they need help with.

+1 for Angel Tree - as stated above, the Mall, Wal-Mart, Blue Baker. What our family does is try to find someone similar - ex. my kids are 8 & 5, so we find an 8yr old and a 5yr old.
backinbcs
Get involved in the Salvation Army Angel Tree program. They need a lot of volunteers for the next 3 weeks or so putting gift bags together for local families.
Stupe
S
Angel Tree is a good one because you are buying something new for kids that have parent, or parents, in prison. There is a set limit on how many items you buy and how much you spend. We usually get one set of clothes and two toys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.