The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill

6,559 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
ro828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know I'm years late on this (I really need to get out more) but we had a great lunch there today. The weather was beautiful, and the food and service were excellent. And the view is incredible. I'm ro828, and I heartily endorse this message.
Broncos
techno-ag
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
His Yelp Highness condemned it, that's good enough for me [insert TTTH emoticon].
BlueMiles
AG
For FlyRod
gopitt
My favorite spot in Aggieland. By far.
australopithecus robustus
I thought that you hated Northgate and were embarrassed by it?
gopitt
On the rooftop bar you are removed from the stench and garbage of Northgate. Street level is a cesspool.
australopithecus robustus
Haha.
So dramatic.
ro828
A cesspool? Block that metaphor! Sometimes there's litter (something I commented on some months ago in this forum) but I'd hardly call it a cesspool. It is area that seems to be in transition, and the empty storefronts give it a down at the heels appearance. The sushi place closed down long ago, and that was one of our favorite places.
gopitt
Austra-what business do you own on Northgate? The over 30 crowd now flocks to the new restaurants, bars and upscale redevelopment in downtown Bryan.
BCStalk
Not everyone goes to downtown that's over 30. Northgate still has a better selection for people like me who enjoy places like Rough Draught that have a huge whiskey selection and hire real bartenders.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
the view is incredible? Really? a 3 story building in college station produces an incredible view?

But yeah, for bar food, they're pretty good.

I really like rough draft and west end as well, but I would go to those places a lot more if I could get more than a drink with 1 once of not-topshelf alcohol for $10
RC_57
AG
BCStalk said:

Rough Draught that have a huge whiskey selection and hire real bartenders.
Thanks for the heads up on that place

Wife & I will be in B/CS this Friday. Will check it out
ro828
When I describe that view as "incredible" you have to remember that I started graduate school at A & M in 1970. Looking at the view from that roof, it's hard to believe how much the university has grown and changed. We lived in Northgate, in Casa del Sol. There have been many, many changes. By the way, it would be nice if the Corner Bar had an elevator for us Old Ags, but climbing stairs is good for our hearts.
halibut sinclair
^ I believe they are putting in an elevator.
gopitt
I think the view is incredible also and, I too, am an oldie.
PBR
Can somebody post a picture of the incredible view?
techno-ag
AG
PBR said:

Can somebody post a picture of the incredible view?

RC_57
AG
gopitt said:

Austra-what business do you own on Northgate? The over 30 crowd now flocks to the new restaurants, bars and upscale redevelopment in downtown Bryan.
What's the name of a couple of these places? We may want to venture up there this weekend

And thanks
BCStalk
Definitely try Proudest Monkey
gopitt
Madden's, Caffe Capri, Downtown Uncorked (for some great wine tasting), Rx Pizza (new and have not been there) and a number of good Mexican restaurants. Just Google downtown Bryan restaurants. Several more are soon to open. I just enjoy the vibe there---clean, well kept, active.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

number of good Mexican restaurant
there isn't even a decent mexican restaurant in downtown bryan, much less a good one.
gopitt
Since several of these "not even decent" restaurants have been around for years and always seem busy appears to suggest many patrons disagree with you.
FlyRod
Restaurant San Jose is "decent."
halibut sinclair
MEXICAN FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!
FlyRod
That usually occurs in your gastrointestinal tract.
JillLove

[Banned. -Staff]
BCStalk
[We are aware of this poster. Replying just gives us more to clean up on a thread. -Staff]
ro828
Downtown has Papa Perez and Casa Rodriguez. Los Nortenos is gone but not forgotten. Lordy, I miss that place. I had good memories there, especially going to breakfast when I got off work at 6 AM. It's a prime location. Someday somebody's going to get something good going there.
KidDoc
AG
The smoking in bars (and bar/restaurants) in Bryan is a huge downer for me and my family. But that is very individual. Just be aware that if it is a bar primary (Monkey, Uncorked, that irish bar I forgot the name, Margie's) there will be smokers doing what they enjoy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
KidDoc said:

The smoking in bars (and bar/restaurants) in Bryan is a huge downer for me and my family. But that is very individual. Just be aware that if it is a bar primary (Monkey, Uncorked, that irish bar I forgot the name, Margie's) there will be smokers doing what they enjoy.
There's no smoking in Downtown Uncorked. I've never seen anyone smoke in the Proudest Monkey. I believe that Murphy's Law is also no smoking now. Margie's used to only allow smoking after a certain time later in the evening, but I'm not sure if that has changed. Carney's is also no smoking.
FlyRod
I can verify halibut's post. I frequent these establishments and I've only seen smokers at Margie's. I have seen a few people puffing stogies and cigs on the patio in front of Uncorked and The Village.
redd38
AG
KidDoc said:

What are you talking about? When was the last time you went to one of those bars?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.