Local Church Search

5,404 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by IDAGG
pants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are on the hunt for a church in the BCS area. We're pretty far from what you'd call conservative Christians, and we're both professionals in our early 30s with no kids.

We're looking for a smaller group of Christians with opportunities for Bible studies and small groups. We'd love your feedback and welcome any details you have.

Thanks!
C Loves L
I wouldn't call my church small by any means. But there are tons of opportunities you might be interested in. Bryan First Baptist church, which is right behind Lowe's and near a Dodge dealership. There are many services but the two main ones are the contemporary service followed by the traditional (style service) which is the one me and my wife go to. We are also in our 30s. We prefer the traditional hymns over the contemporary music. After the new year the services will switch time slots. Currently the contemporary service is first.

lots of different bible study classes/sunday school classes too. The preacher is an Aggie grad!
ag009
AG
My husband and I love and attend Community Church. A small, but tight knit group of people...and the main part of how we function is small groups. We meet 4:30pm on Sunday @ Grace Southwood campus.
justalocal
Holy Cross Lutheran
waterchick
St. Andrews Episcopal Church in downtown Bryan is hosting "Cocoa and Carols" after the downtown Bryan Christmas parade 12/9. The Sunday service on 12/11 will be "a service of lessons and carols" where Dr. Alan Strong will give the history behind some traditional Christmas carols. Might be a good opportunity to check it out.

There is also a Wednesday evening Bible study for adults, a Rectors's book club that meets monthly, and "foyer groups" where adults host a dinner in their home once a month.

http://www.standrewsbcs.com

There is also St. Thomas Episcopal near campus and St. Francis Episcopal on Rock Prairie. Give them a visit as well.
summergal
A&M United Methodist Church has been a good fit for us. Service times 8:30 and 11 in the sanctuary. 9:45 in the Gym. Great folks, great message, great small groups!
bionat80
First United Methodist in Bryan may be just what you are looking for!

Traditional services 8:30 am & 11:00 am
The Awakening (contemporary) 9:00 am in the Christian Life Center

Young Adults Ministry and LIFE groups are available

www.fumcbryan.org

for more info: natalie.patterson@fumcbryan.org
Director of Adult Ministries & Member Involvement

Post removed:
by user
jac4
AG

I'll put in a second recommendation for Community Church. We are small and have very active small groups which are an important part of our ministry.
taxpreparer
AG
I recommend visiting several churches and find one you are comfortable with. Give each a couple of two or three visits to get a good feel for their programs and ministries.

My family attends A&M United Methodist, at Northgate, and we have been members since 1982. I am a very conservative Christian, but have many friends in my Sunday school class who make Bernie Sanders look moderate. The ranges of ages in our class is 25 to 65. You would be welcomed.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
EliteElectric
Connecting Point is a great church and non traditional. I go there in shorts and flip flops pretty much regularly. Good church, non judgemental, non clique-ish
ksp
EliteElectric said:

Connecting Point is a great church and non traditional. I go there in shorts and flip flops pretty much regularly. Good church, non judgemental, non clique-ish
Yup this is where I have landed as well. Don't think I have ever seen a tie.

Oh and I saw you last weekend in flip flops. Or there was two of you wearing flip flops.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Brazos Fellowship definitely fits the non traditional bill. But they are a bit larger. 3 service times to choose from: 8:30, 10:00 & 11:30am each Sunday.
Clo004
I will second Brazos Fellowship. Everyone has been extremely welcoming.
duffelpud
AG
I'm considering opening up my Sunday morning tequila-tasting fellowship to additional members.
w8liftr
New Life Baptist (in shopping center behind Golden Corral) fits your description pretty well.
ashleyschaeffer
Grace Bible Church.
Cancelled
AG
We've been pleased with St Thomas Aquinas
Post removed:
by user
hungaryforchile
Hubby and I are in the same bind. Young married couple, no kids, I'm a working professional, he's a grad student, we both lean more progressive...it's hard to find a church in this town that fits our demographic, unfortunately, and we've tried (really tried) two or three churches in the 2.5 years we've been here. Report back if you find something!
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
ashleyschaeffer said:

Grace Bible Church.

Another vote for Grace. Great place and great people
kd5cno@yahoo.com
AG
My wife and I attend the Kingdom Ranch Church on Hwy 21 E ( just East of airport), a cowboy church.

We prefer this to any other church or group out there in this area. Very laid back life style, with great people. Children's church for the kiddoes.

7300 E State Hwy 21, Bryan, Texas

"...Christian, non-denominational Bible believing church of faith..."

http://www.kingdomranchchurch.com

Pastors Will and Hannah Fountain

And they are on Facebook.
Rojo Grande
I say this as lovingly as I can and with no sarcastic overtones at all, but instead of looking for a church to fit "your needs", why don't you look for one that teaches and follows what the scripture actually says?
Jinx
Rojo Grande said:

I say this as lovingly as I can and with no sarcastic overtones at all, but instead of looking for a church to fit "your needs", why don't you look for one that teaches and follows what the scripture actually says?
Because scriptures are subject to the interpretation of man. If that were not the case, there would only BE one church...
Rojo Grande
That's where we differ. I don't believe everyone can live there life and do whatever pleases them because in the end, God's going to grant entrance into heaven for everyone. Therefore, scripture isn't open to your or any other man's interpretation. There's plenty of scripture that tells of God's intent for his church and plenty of supporting scriptures to make sure nothing is taken out of context. It's pretty simple to understand when you sit down and take an honest look at it.
Rojo Grande
I'll say this too.......I don't necessarily know that there's only ONE church, but I do know that there's plenty of churches subscribing to things that are in direct opposition to scripture, which in my mind disqualifies them from being a church that honors God. I think that's where we lose focus sometimes.....its about bringing glory to God and not satisfying our wants.
Post removed:
by user
Rojo Grande
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

Using this logic, there's no difference between the local Catholic Church and the local Baptist one.

As far as I know, the Catholics and Baptists have very different beliefs. They certainly teach very different things regarding salvation and they're very different in church structure and organization.
Jinx
"That's where we differ."

"I don't believe"

"In my mind"

Exactly! Interpretation. Some people see the drawing and it plainly shows a duck. Some people see the drawing and it plainly shows a rabbit. OP is looking for a place with other folks who see the duck. Simple enough. Your way and method is your way, and you share that with others. OP is just looking for their others, not trying to shape the beliefs to suit them.

That's all.
Post removed:
by user
aggiefan2002
Rojo - which church of Christ do you attend here in town?
Rojo Grande
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

As far as I know, the Catholics and Baptists have very different beliefs. They certainly teach very different things regarding salvation and they're very different in church structure and organization.

So in the most loving tone I can muster before caffeine - Why are you busting on the OP?

I'm honestly not trying to bust on anyone. I recently had a discussion with a friend who told me he found a new church and he loved it because of their laser light show that they put on during service. I've thought about that over the past few days and when I saw this thread, it came to mind. I don't think of myself as going to church, but rather going to worship. For me, it's about bringing glory and honor to God first. The benefits and blessings for me personally are a byproduct. When I saw the post my thought was simply to try to find something that fits with what God wants rather than checking the boxes that I want.
Rojo Grande
aggiefan2002 said:

Rojo - which church of Christ do you attend here in town?

I don't
Tim Weaver
If you are too sleepy from last nights celebrations, you can go to Church in your PJ's. 8:30, 10:00, and 11:30

http://www.lsccapps.com/fbapps/lscctv/index.php

This is where I work. In fact, I mix the Broadcast Audio that you hear on the Livestream.
BrandoC
AG
Yep. Half the churches these days are concerts yet the people and even pastors think they are glorifying the good Lord when they are glorifying themselves. Alot more opening up the Bible and alot less bell and whistles with instruments should be used.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.