If the Hearne school district is abolished....

5,190 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by duffelpud
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and the students are bused to other districts, Anyone know how far they would be bused and which districts would they go to?
CEAg78
AG
You gotta hope it isn't to Calvert. Out of the frying pan into the fire.
Scruffy
AG
What's going on?
birdman
Usually the student gets to pick any school in his region.
taxpreparer
AG
I was told that it would probably be absorbed by Mumford ISD.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
woodometer
AG
While shutting down the district is a possibility the TEA is Recommending getting rid of all the board members and bringing in outside resources, including a conservator, to run the district until it can be fixed and reorganized.
InMyOpinion
I could be wrong but it would seem to me that the kids would still go to the current schools. Everyone would be let go from Hearne ISD and whatever school district is taking over would be charged with hiring new employees (could be some of the same ones) and impleting their policies and practices.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
There are too many students to be absorbed by one district in Robertson Co. As said, best bet is to divide and send to other districts in the county. Or, send them all to Bryan but that is probably unreasonable as well.

I think I recall reading somewhere district dissolution is rare and a last step by TEA. If I'm not mistaken, Wilmer-Hutchins was the last one to be dissolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmer-Hutchins_Independent_School_District

What's going on now would be replacing the school board and appointing a conservator from TEA along with a board of managers.
victory
AG
A complete shutdown of the district is very unlikely. In most cases the district is absorbed by a surrounding district but uses existing facilities and students don't leave town. The new district will make the new hires and have complete control. Happened to la marque ISD last summer and it was absorbed by Texas City ISD. La marque High School still exist but La Marque ISD doesn't exist.
Three Seasons
AG
Mumford ISD is the closest school district, has bus routes that run within the City of Hearne on both sides of the tracks, and would give Pete Bienski the Hearne ISD students that he refuses to accept within his schools.
Pete is not the issue - he is simply a smart administrator that built his district on the tax dollars of the Hearne ISD students that are accepted in Mumford ISD. There approximately 400 Hearne ISD students attending school in Mumford...seriously...look at the Mumford ISD boundary then go looking for homes in the area. If your small district adjustment is only 40%, when added to your basic allotment per student that is more than $6K/student/year (ADA) attending Mumford ISD, or $2.4 million added (or lost from Hearne ISD) to the budget of said school district.

$2.4 million per year. Now this funding disproportion is not the issue, but the individual student and their ability to pass a high-stakes test is a foundational issue with funding compounding the problem.

While the number above is generalized, "white-flight" from Hearne ISD started to kick in back in the early '90's and when one of the schools missed the mark on state testing and became an "open enrollment" school, the remaining students that could leave - did leave. Each of the three Hearne ISD schools had years of passing, then failing state testing. Open Enrollment (OE), statistically killed any chance of Hearne ISD to fully recover, that and then not following up on students that should have returned to the district when they moved from an OE campus to one that was not in OE status at that time.

Norris McDainel and the flood of superintendents that followed could not regain control of the statistical hurdles it faced when educating a population that historically rides the "bubble" in high-stakes testing. From TAAS, TAKS, and now STAAR...the bar has been raised (which is good) but the student population that is left within Hearne ISD struggles, and now misses that mark more times than it passes.

For example; see Bryan ISD and then ask why they put their Inquire and Odyssey academies within Jane Long and SFA...leaving Rayburn and Davila "as is."

In short (TLDNR) Robertson County schools need to hit the reset button with Hearne ISD. Mumford ISD needs to absorb the issue it had a hand in creating and take full responsibility for educating all students, not just the ones that statistically benefit the rankings and accolades that Mumford ISD is known for earning.
Disclaimer: I worked for Hearne ISD for 11 years (6, then back for another 5 with a three-year split). I have written papers and submitted findings to the TEA on my research - and in my opinion, they have missed so much more than was reported within their most recent report.

I have to get back to work, but Hearne could be our "Cy-Fair" to BCS - meaning that Hearne is a diamond in the rough (ok - very rough) but it has a runway longer than Easterwood, and rock-bottom property values. If it could turn the school system around and make the place attractive for business, things would really take off (pun intended) in the area between Hearne, Mumford,and Bryan.

With the RELLIS campus 12 miles from Mumford ISD and Hearne a short 12 miles from Mumford, that whole area of Southern Robertson County could drastically change over the next ten years - and the school system supporting this area should be first class.
Stupe
S
If anyone on the CSISD zoning board is in on the decision, they might end up in Navasota.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

With the RELLIS campus 12 miles from Mumford ISD and Hearne a short 12 miles from Mumford, that whole area of Southern Robertson County could drastically change over the next ten years - and the school system supporting this area should be first class.

Man, I want some of that stuff you're smoking!
Scruffy
AG
I got some info over thanksgiving.

Sounds like one of the (unqualified and banned from a campus) board members wrote to TEA asking them to step in and take over/shut it down.

I agree that there needs to be a "house cleaning".
techno-ag
AG
Three Seasons said:

Mumford ISD is the closest school district, has bus routes that run within the City of Hearne on both sides of the tracks, and would give Pete Bienski the Hearne ISD students that he refuses to accept within his schools.
Pete is not the issue - he is simply a smart administrator that built his district on the tax dollars of the Hearne ISD students that are accepted in Mumford ISD. There approximately 400 Hearne ISD students attending school in Mumford...seriously...look at the Mumford ISD boundary then go looking for homes in the area. If your small district adjustment is only 40%, when added to your basic allotment per student that is more than $6K/student/year (ADA) attending Mumford ISD, or $2.4 million added (or lost from Hearne ISD) to the budget of said school district.

$2.4 million per year. Now this funding disproportion is not the issue, but the individual student and their ability to pass a high-stakes test is a foundational issue with funding compounding the problem.

While the number above is generalized, "white-flight" from Hearne ISD started to kick in back in the early '90's and when one of the schools missed the mark on state testing and became an "open enrollment" school, the remaining students that could leave - did leave. Each of the three Hearne ISD schools had years of passing, then failing state testing. Open Enrollment (OE), statistically killed any chance of Hearne ISD to fully recover, that and then not following up on students that should have returned to the district when they moved from an OE campus to one that was not in OE status at that time.

Norris McDainel and the flood of superintendents that followed could not regain control of the statistical hurdles it faced when educating a population that historically rides the "bubble" in high-stakes testing. From TAAS, TAKS, and now STAAR...the bar has been raised (which is good) but the student population that is left within Hearne ISD struggles, and now misses that mark more times than it passes.

For example; see Bryan ISD and then ask why they put their Inquire and Odyssey academies within Jane Long and SFA...leaving Rayburn and Davila "as is."

In short (TLDNR) Robertson County schools need to hit the reset button with Hearne ISD. Mumford ISD needs to absorb the issue it had a hand in creating and take full responsibility for educating all students, not just the ones that statistically benefit the rankings and accolades that Mumford ISD is known for earning.
Disclaimer: I worked for Hearne ISD for 11 years (6, then back for another 5 with a three-year split). I have written papers and submitted findings to the TEA on my research - and in my opinion, they have missed so much more than was reported within their most recent report.

I have to get back to work, but Hearne could be our "Cy-Fair" to BCS - meaning that Hearne is a diamond in the rough (ok - very rough) but it has a runway longer than Easterwood, and rock-bottom property values. If it could turn the school system around and make the place attractive for business, things would really take off (pun intended) in the area between Hearne, Mumford,and Bryan.

I know a little about Hearne and Mumford thanks to relatives in Robertson Co. I can tell you that Mumford's elementary classes are full. They have two teachers per grade, and all grades are at maximum capacity. There is no room to absorb additional students at the elementary.

There is at the high school. Mumford does not offer football, and that's a deal breaker for a lot of kids. Even those living in Mumford will transfer to Hearne if they want to play football.

As for open enrollment, it has benefitted Mumford, but think of the students it helped. The state first started letting students from failing districts transfer to nearby districts in the late nineties or early 00s. Hearne was an awful district, and many families opted to leave for Mumford. Hearne sued Mumford, and Mumford won because they were acting within the law.

Hearne people have been blaming Mumford for their loss of students for years, but if Hearne didn't suck so bad, those students wouldn't have been able to leave in the first place.

There's no putting that back in the bottle. The only way Hearne will become an attractive district to families again is to make it better from within, not by making those families who have gone to open enrollment districts to return to Hearne by force.
PS3D
Would they actually close any schools? Shame to see the renovated Hearne High School close, unless it's already significantly deteriorated since then.
95_Aggie
AG
Maybe they can turn it into a Walmart or something.
Aggie
AG
PS3D said:

Would they actually close any schools? Shame to see the renovated Hearne High School close, unless it's already significantly deteriorated since then.

No the schools are not actually closing.
Not like they are gonna start sending or expect parents to take their kids to Bryan, franklin or Mumford.
Schools will remain open and operational... Just a new district will take over.

duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Maybe they can turn it into a Walmart or something.

I've been around long enough to see what you did there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.