Does anybody ever return calls in this town ????

13,339 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggiePirate
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Generic VENT.
Im doing a ton of work all over my property. Been using all sorts of services, concrete, plumbing, paint, septic....on and on....even looking for a dog trainer.....
Other than Marco , who ALWAYS calls within minutes, it is damn near impossible to get a call returned ! Takes weeks and multiple calls to get someone who wants to do any work. Everyone in town is very busy BUT come on guys !!!!
Post removed:
by user
FNG
No.

Need some carpentry work done around the house. One guy recommended by this board came out and took measurements and notes and was going to give an estimate. Never heard from him again.

Reached out to another who did work for a friend of my wife, can't get him to call back.
aggiegal99
I really want a family room addition on my house. Same deal...barely get responses. I did have a man come measure, and four months later he sent a basic estimate. I decided an addition was too important of a structural house component to leave to someone who can't get an estimate done in a timely manner.

ETA-I had a very professional response from one builder in town who said it was not a job they were interested in.
Look Out Below
AG
The contractors that work for builders are slammed and have been for a long while. Until the houses quit going up so much and so fast, it's going to be that way.
The Original AG 76
AG
It's not just contractors , even though they are the worst. I can't even get dog trainers to call back !!
AggiePhil
AG
I feel your pain. Trying to get landscaping work done in this town is like pulling teeth.
BlueMiles
AG
I feel a little better now after reading this. But not much.
FNG
The Original AG 76 said:

It's not just contractors , even though they are the worst. I can't even get dog trainers to call back !!

Use a dog whistle to reach them!
meezermom
You guys aren't making me feel very good about the bathroom renovation we need to undertake soon. Please let us know if anyone ever responds AND the quality of work! And good luck!
cz308
Plumbing - Gus with Eagle Plumbing
General contracting - Bill Bingham Construction *Very impressed*
A/C - Marco

People to avoid
Norris Contracting - Slow & pricey
M&H Construction - Came to give quote, never called back.
Windham Construction - Came to give quote, never called back.
Millis Remodeling - Quoted high, very pushy for starting. Never used them.

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
The Original AG 76
AG
meezermom said:

You guys aren't making me feel very good about the bathroom renovation we need to undertake soon. Please let us know if anyone ever responds AND the quality of work! And good luck!

For a bathroom go directly to Marblecraft. Skip the contractor unless you're re really major.
txxwildcard
People I often recommend here:

A/C : Famous Marco Aire Coole 979-777-2520

Plumbing: Marcelino de Leon 979-324-7547

Landscaping & Fencing: Rafael with Leal Landscaping 979-676-5018

Painting: Ricardo Sanchez 979-218-4475
Brewmaster
AG
cz308 said:

Plumbing - Gus with Eagle Plumbing
General contracting - Bill Bingham Construction *Very impressed*
A/C - Marco

People to avoid
Norris Contracting - Slow & pricey
M&H Construction - Came to give quote, never called back.
Windham Construction - Came to give quote, never called back.
Millis Remodeling - Quoted high, very pushy for starting. Never used them.

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
Agree on Gus - he'll answer or call you back pronto. He is one of the few plumbers that is a one man show and a very good one, plus class of '99!
deh40
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

No. A number of businesses have the mentality that it's a small town, and you're not going to go down the street.
Then they will be the first ones to cry when business slows down. They don't understand that just returning the call and letting people know you are scheduled out X amount of weeks will go a long way.
BigBubba
AG
Great, this post just made me give up on the idea of calling somebody to see about an addition to our house.
The Original AG 76
AG
BigBubba said:

Great, this post just made me give up on the idea of calling somebody to see about an addition to our house.
oh you can get an addition built just be prepared to spend 50% more than a new build and take forever. Might consider tearing your place down and starting over.
Muzzleblast
The answer is no.

My example:
Wanted a new entryway on the farm. Auto opening gate and steel fence.

Contacted Bills Maintenance who does Apollo openers. Chris came out and measured for my bid.

After multiple texts and calls to both Bill (the dad) and Chris (the son) I gave up.

Nothing but excuses.
PLC guy
Have you guys considered that maybe these contractors talked to you and/or met you and decided they didn't want to work for you?
FlyRod
Contractors are among the least reliable people on earth. Don't get me started. I sincerely wish everyone who has to deal with them all the good luck in the world.
aggiegal99
If they won't even return a phone call, they haven't had the chance to meet me yet!
CS78
FlyRod said:

Contractors are among the least reliable people on earth.
Good. Fast. Cheap. But you only get to pick ONE.
techno-ag
AG
PLC guy said:

Have you guys considered that maybe these contractors talked to you and/or met you and decided they didn't want to work for you?
The Bryan-College Station area is one of the fastest growing in the US. Builders and their subcontractors have more work than they can shake a stick at. So yeah this is a legitimate issue.
FlyRod
Hopefully with growth will come more competition and better consideration for those hiring their services. Being busy is fine...in fact it's good. (A) Hire more people; (B) Be straight with folks looking to hire their services rather than stringing them along, or worse, ignoring them.

aggiepaintrain
AG
then why do they even bother answering their phones? Forget about finding a cartpenter like ever.

For bathroom remodel, as long as you don't need a cartpenter it can be done pretty easily, we have a lot of great plumbers, granite companies, painters, and tile installers around here.
techno-ag
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

then why do they even bother answering their phones?
Nailed it.
FNG
Had some cabinetry work done earlier this year. The contractor was slammed. He had so much work on all these new builds that finding time for my job was tough.

Also, keeping workers is an issue in construction. Some of them don't have the same work ethic or loyalty to an employer that workers in other industries have.

He had a few that would catch the brown bottle flu on Monday mornings and Friday mornings.
Kidwrangler
The Original AG 76 said:

For what it's worth, I left a message with Professional Tree Services this morning, got a call back right away, and met with Andy Hillis this afternoon to plot out the work he will be doing next week. There is always hope.
FlyRod
I've found the level of customer service and appreciation for the customer enormously high among BCS businesses, in general. Contractors are one of the glaring exceptions.

Work on my house that was supposed to be finished in May, was finished last week.
The Original AG 76
AG
FlyRod said:

I've found the level of customer service and appreciation for the customer enormously high among BCS businesses, in general. Contractors are one of the glaring exceptions.

Work on my house that was supposed to be finished in May, was finished last week.
I was told that it would take about 7 weeks to do my kitchen and bath remodel. Took 7 MONTHS ! There were entire months where not a single trade step foot in the house. The last 10% took 4 months. The " reason" was that the various trades they use were on bigger projects , like wiring a new house they were building, and the 3 hour hook up the damn bathroom gig at my house was way down the list..etc...
STRONG suggestion to you guys looking for remodel...do NOT use an outfit that also builds new. You wont get any of their attention once they start.
BUT I didn't really mean for this to turn into a GC bash, thats a different thread. It's NOT just the GC's , even though they ar the worst, its a general lack of concern found in smaller markets by the small businesss ,usually the sole props.
There are exceptions worth mentioning...Brazos Valley Tree, Enercon windows, Elite come to mind but after 4 years of doing projects I can honestly say that they are the exceptions.
the pit man
The answer about returning calls is .NO. I can't figure out how some folks stay in business. If I ran my small business, the way some large business's ran theirs I'd be gone. I'm dealing with a repair on one of my welding machines now, every time I speak with the sales rep, it's "I'll call you right back." Well, in 3 weeks I have spoken to him at least 15 times, and he has yet to "call me back". Customer service ends when they get your money.
slyk
"Nobody ever uses them anymore, they're too busy"
Builder93
AG
I understand everyone's pain but let me offer some reasons for the current business conditions.:

1. Too much work. Any kind of labor, particularly skilled labor, is in very high demand right now.

2. Commercial work pays much better than residential and it's booming.

3. The consistent home builders are getting the best residential labor because they have relationships with the subs(craftspeople) and everyone knows what to expect and knows when they will get paid.

4. The worst part about residential remodeling is dealing with home owners. Don't take it personally, you are probably great to work with when your home is torn up and the dust can't be contained and the change orders keep piling up because of the surprises in the walls. I did it for years and you would have a hard time convincing me to go back into residential work. The sweetest people lose their religion when their routine is broken.

5. The small time guys you want to do the work have to do everything, estimating, ordering, designing, hammering, etc... They typically are craftsmen who get into business, so they underestimate the business side and get overwhelmed. It's physically and mentally exhausting. Some learn to get better at running the business end, some don't.

6. Homeowners don't pay. Sorry, but it's the truth. HGTV has convinced you that it's all super easy and with enough time you can do it too so why should you pay someone else so much? I'm waiting for HGTV, The Accountants Edition, where they include tax on assets you use in your business.

halibut sinclair
Builder93 said:

I understand everyone's pain but let me offer some reasons for the current business conditions.:

1. Too much work. Any kind of labor, particularly skilled labor, is in very high demand right now.

2. Commercial work pays much better than residential and it's booming.

3. The consistent home builders are getting the best residential labor because they have relationships with the subs(craftspeople) and everyone knows what to expect and knows when they will get paid.

4. The worst part about residential remodeling is dealing with home owners. Don't take it personally, you are probably great to work with when your home is torn up and the dust can't be contained and the change orders keep piling up because of the surprises in the walls. I did it for years and you would have a hard time convincing me to go back into residential work. The sweetest people lose their religion when their routine is broken.

5. The small time guys you want to do the work have to do everything, estimating, ordering, designing, hammering, etc... They typically are craftsmen who get into business, so they underestimate the business side and get overwhelmed. It's physically and mentally exhausting. Some learn to get better at running the business end, some don't.

6. Homeowners don't pay. Sorry, but it's the truth. HGTV has convinced you that it's all super easy and with enough time you can do it too so why should you pay someone else so much? I'm waiting for HGTV, The Accountants Edition, where they include tax on assets you use in your business.

All of this is well and good, but still no excuse for not returning calls or giving an estimate and then disappearing.
Builder93
AG
I didn't say it as an excuse. It's just the way it is. If you think you can do better, then start a business and make it happen.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.