Good economy in BCS

9,344 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/construction-jobs-up-in-bryan-college-station-in-july-spending/article_02d80f89-7b5d-5f36-b393-da7d94ad435a.html

The local economy was up 3.3 percent in July compared to last year. Higher home prices, lots of construction helped. And despite some issues, we've still got the best metro employment rate in the state including 4700 new jobs.
australopithecus robustus
We are looking good. Still have a very long way to go on per capita retail spending. Lagging behind the likes of Victoria and Temple is disappointing.

I believe we will get there in time, though.
halibut sinclair
Nailed it.
FlyRod
FNG
The Eagle
Post removed:
by user
FNG
quote:
Per capita spending is low because wages are low.....

Sounds like you lack...

...trust.
FlyRod
quote:
Per capita spending is low because wages are low.....

Slocum knocked it out of the park and broke a few windows.

Rising house prices are a double edged sword. In years past when we recruited, affordable housing was a major draw here, and almost all our new hires bought single family homes immediately. Of late, recent recruits have been dismayed at finding very few housing options in their price range, and settling for renting in the all-too-crappy inventory BCS is notorious for in that category. More than a few are going back on the job market. Affordable housing used to be a major draw to lure people here who had options to take jobs in nicer places. That's coming to an end. These are people making decent money who would be more than happy to contribute to retail spending in the community too. Well-heeled retirees of course are loving this, but that's a demographic not known for profligate spending.
australopithecus robustus
Yes, per capita spending is low because wages are low. The point is though that the underlying problem is that we don't have any industry that pays and sources the 25-40 six figure earning market, the demographic that spends $.
jac4
AG
quote:
quote:
Affordable housing used to be a major draw to lure people here who had options to take jobs in nicer places.

There are nicer places than BCS?
FlyRod
I was shocked to learn this too!
SumAggie
the spending is government spending (remember the stadium deal?). Thank you all who pay taxes.....
FNG
quote:
Yes, per capita spending is low because wages are low. The point is though that the underlying problem is that we don't have any industry that pays and sources the 25-40 six figure earning market, the demographic that spends $.

We had the promise of an emerging biocorridor. Billions in investment were sure to arrive and it would create thousands of jobs.

Bret Giroir was pulling in all kinds of commitments. For some reason we don't hear much about him or the biocorridor heating up anymore.

I haven't driven on Hwy 47 in awhile but I can only assume based on all the press of the past few years that there is very little green space and it is packed full of high-tech and bio-tech companies and stores and restaurants and living spaces to accommodate them.
deh40
AG
quote:
the spending is government spending (remember the stadium deal?). Thank you all who pay taxes.....
The stadium was finished last year so not sure how that would be considered spending in July of this year. And I think all the season ticket holders that paid their "campaign donation" to build it would dispute your thank you all who pay taxes.
FlyRod
quote:
I haven't driven on Hwy 47 in awhile but I can only assume based on all the press of the past few years that there is very little green space and it is packed full of high-tech and bio-tech companies and stores and restaurants and living spaces to accommodate them.

Its a paradise of unbridled opportunity and prosperity!

SumAggie
quote:
quote:
The stadium was finished last year so not sure how that would be considered spending in July of this year. And I think all the season ticket holders that paid their "campaign donation" to build it would dispute your thank you all who pay taxes.
"yawn"...
techno-ag
AG
You guys are seriously going to dispute our economy is doing well?

Ooooooookay .....
FlyRod
Would you dispute that the national economy is doing well, techno? I'm guessing you would. People can focus on whatever particulars they feel are the most important aspects of economic growth or decline.
FNG
quote:
Would you dispute that the national economy is doing well, techno? I'm guessing you would. People can focus on whatever particulars they feel are the most important aspects of economic growth or decline.

The One who rules from the White House says the economy is fine and we are creating jobs nonstop.

Do you not "trust" your leaders?
FNG
quote:

Ooooooookay .....

Nobody said the economy is bad. The discussion was "where is all of the promised biocorridor construction?"
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Would you dispute that the national economy is doing well, techno? I'm guessing you would.
That's one of the nice things about the local economy. It's doing better than other places, despite what some negative nancies think.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Ooooooookay .....

Nobody said the economy is bad. The discussion was "where is all of the promised biocorridor construction?"
The discussion is the local economy, as per the op.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
SumAggie
one MEEN Ag
AG
quote:
Yup.

I don't see how College Station fixes that problem though. Any major industry that invests in College Station is looking to run through some technical-degree interns.

Looks like the ten year outlook is to lean on more college students and retirees.
threecatcorner
Yes, for both buying and renting, high prices create their own problems. You can't really compare salaries without also considering housing costs, cost of living. There are some parts of California and New York that have such insanely high housing costs that salaries which sound high really aren't if you consider how much of your income it takes to have somewhere to live. Let's please not
catch up with that.

The way values (and taxes) go up around here, I don't see how someone can buy a house with one budget in mind and then need to pay considerably more in tax to the extent that their housing costs are way higher than expected. Unless you are selling your house, how do high property values help you? If you do sell, won't you still need to buy or rent somewhere whose costs have also gone up?

Not all rentals are lousy, but if you are trying to recruit families who want to rent or buy a 3 or 4 bedroom house, rates are too high because the rates all seem to be designed for 4 (or more if they can get away with it) students to split, and while $500 per person would get a nicer shared place than the studio or whatever someone could get individually for that price, but for a family, $1000-$2000 is not so cheap.
Oogway
quote:
quote:

We had the promise of an emerging biocorridor. Billions in investment were sure to arrive and it would create thousands of jobs.

Bret Giroir was pulling in all kinds of commitments. For some reason we don't hear much about him or the biocorridor heating up anymore.

It is difficult for me to read tone in text but with regards to Giroir, you realize he gone baby gone?
FNG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is difficult for me to read tone in text but with regards to Giroir, you realize he gone baby gone?

Of course I do.
AG
Rick Perry, the same guy that most of ya'll bashed, heavily recruited for the bio corridor. Now that he is out of office, you don't hear much about it.
nashvilleaggie11
Obviously you are a bit behind. He was forced to leave by Sharp and Young and it was quite shocking. So if news of the biocorridor has quieted, that's probably why.
FNG
That's the joke.

He was forced out and we have heard nothing about biocorridor business since. The guy was getting huge commitments and was basically treated like a criminal when he was shown the door.

And yet we still hear lots of trumpeting of win-wins and stuff knocked out of park related to The One who forced him out, choosing to focus on the "success" of a public/private dorm that had to have massive work the entire summer after only being open for nine months and disregarding the lack of any news on try biocorridor that was supposedly pulling in business like the tractor beam on the Death Star.
FlyRod
That is a lot of negativity to overcome.
nashvilleaggie11
Ya Sharp Vader and his minion Young are totally sleazeballs and narcissists. Have to take credit for everything.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Yes, for both buying and renting, high prices create their own problems. You can't really compare salaries without also considering housing costs, cost of living. There are some parts of California and New York that have such insanely high housing costs that salaries which sound high really aren't if you consider how much of your income it takes to have somewhere to live. Let's please not
catch up with that.

The way values (and taxes) go up around here, I don't see how someone can buy a house with one budget in mind and then need to pay considerably more in tax to the extent that their housing costs are way higher than expected. Unless you are selling your house, how do high property values help you? If you do sell, won't you still need to buy or rent somewhere whose costs have also gone up?

Not all rentals are lousy, but if you are trying to recruit families who want to rent or buy a 3 or 4 bedroom house, rates are too high because the rates all seem to be designed for 4 (or more if they can get away with it) students to split, and while $500 per person would get a nicer shared place than the studio or whatever someone could get individually for that price, but for a family, $1000-$2000 is not so cheap.
Rates are high, but they're not always unreasonable. I know a guy who moved here to take a job as manager of a restaurant. He has three kids, and found a reasonable house to rent. They're saving up to purchase a place. His wife works, too, so they're dual income and not hurting at all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.