T-mobile in College Station

7,034 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by stinkerbelle
cozart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good? Bad?

Thinking of switching since it's so much cheaper than AT&T or Verizon. Friends in other areas love T-mobile, but I haven't heard from anyone in BCS.
jja79
AG
I like it. What I like best is Binge On. Netflix, WatchESPN, Pandora and several other apps dint count against your data usage.
DayTrip
I switched from Sprint to Project Fi last year and I've been >80% happy with service. When on the T-Mobile network my biggest problem is randomly my phone will have full strength LTE signal but no webpages or apps load :-( Calls come and go through during those times.
redd38
AG
quote:
I like it. What I like best is Binge On. Netflix, WatchESPN, Pandora and several other apps dint count against your data usage.
I think T-Mobile just switched to all unlimited plans, so none of that stuff matters anymore for new customers.

For the most part I like T-Mobile, I wish coverage was just a little better though. There are a few dead spots in town for me, so make sure you don't live in one of those.
UmustBKidding
partly cloudy
I have AT&T and thinking about moving to Cricket, same network/phones (even locked) but cheaper and offer unlimited
Also have a Tmo account for some testing I do. Less coverage near edges of town. Their wifi calling mitigates this some but not all. Also bingeon is a mixed bag since it throttles all video including stuff you pay full rate for.
Good feature for some is included international roaming in many areas.
Look at Sensorly or OpenSignal for your area and routes to places you travel.

LunitadelNox
Do not get T-Mobile!

I got it because it was cheap and they had unlimited data. Not worth. I get service in like 50% of College Station, and very spotty in South College Station (where I live), and now they're canceling unlimited data. Not like I ever took advantage of the unlimited data anyway, since I never can use it!

Their 3G hardly ever works. I switched to AT&T last month and just ate the contract because their coverage is so much better.

T-Mobile is terrible and frustrating. Highly recommend not getting unless you are under a tight budget.

EDIT: You also don't get service in a lot of the buildings in College Station. My husband and I would go out to eat and he would get service with his AT&T, but I wouldn't with my T-Mobile unless I walked into the parking lot.
jja79
AG
I don't have a problem getting 4G.
Kitten With A Whip
I like T-Mobile. Been with them about 9 years. Only real problem is poor reception at home. Everywhere else is fine.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Coverage isnt great, but theyre cheap, and in my experience the customer service has been amazing. I complained on twitter about dropped calls and they replaced my phone.
patrick.redmill
I used T-Mobile in town for several years (right until after their LTE rollout) and the speeds and coverage in BCS were *fantastic*. Better than AT&T and Verizon at the time, actually. I think the "spotty service," in town, that people speak of is T-Mobile's known issue of getting reception in buildings. Even back then, their wi-fi calling was very good; so become familiar with that.

Ultimately I left because (again, at the time) T-Mobile had poor reception in rural and semi-rural areas. I like to road trip a lot, and my folks live in semi-rural AL. I was finding myself out of reception a lot. Switched to Cricket, which, while not quite as fast, has great coverage.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I used T-Mobile in town for several years (right until after their LTE rollout) and the speeds and coverage in BCS were *fantastic*. Better than AT&T and Verizon at the time, actually. I think the "spotty service," in town, that people speak of is T-Mobile's known issue of getting reception in buildings. Even back then, their wi-fi calling was very good; so become familiar with that.

Ultimately I left because (again, at the time) T-Mobile had poor reception in rural and semi-rural areas. I like to road trip a lot, and my folks live in semi-rural AL. I was finding myself out of reception a lot. Switched to Cricket, which, while not quite as fast, has great coverage.
Yup. They're notorious for being terrible on road trips.
cozart
AG
thanks for the responses!

from some research, it seems the in-building spottiness has been helped a lot by band 12 technology and band 12 capable devices. so hopefully it's not that much of an issue anymore.

i think we're going to give them a go. won't do a contract plan, so i can always switch after a couple of months if we're not happy.
aggiepaintrain
AG
T Mobile is bad in BCS.

UmustBKidding
On other issue with Tmobile is that to my knowledge they don't participate with the on campus Distributed Antenna system so on campus and especially at Kyle are going to be far worse than AT&T or Verizon.
Have you considered Cricket? Its the AT&T network and likely the same price you will get from Tmo. An you can use you existing phone even if they are carrier locked.
And if you use Tmobile, the Bryan store has been far better for me than College Station.
jja79
AG
No problem connecting to wifi at Kyle.
Justin2010
AG
I have great service with tmobile in and around bcs, even in the sticks.
nwspmp
I have AT&T and T-Mobile (work and personal cell phones) and have had iPhones and Samsung Galaxy S7 on AT&T and iPhones, Samsung Note 3 and OnePlus One on T-Mobile. The phone itself makes a huge difference. My wife had an Iphone 5S on T-Mo in B/CS and had dropouts a good bit. She switched to a 6S with Band 12 and gets great coverage, better many times than my AT&T iPhone 6, in the same areas. My OPO had decent coverage, but it could be spotty in the north end of town. My S7 on AT&T and my Note 3 on T-Mo both had pretty damned good coverage all over.

I would also note that my T-Mobile service has been blazingly faster than my AT&T service. AT&T gets me around 40/1.5 and my T-Mobile has been getting around 85/10 lately... Both are perfectly acceptable for use though

My wife also travels between here and Arlington quite a bit, and the older iPhone 5S without Band 12 did have a good number of connection drops along the way. Since upgrading, she hasn't noticed hardly any.
gettingitdone
We have had T-Mobil for a bazillion years and love it. As a matter of fact, just last week we were bumped up to unlimited data, for no additional charge, until Feb of 2019
Jimmy&^
quote:
Do not get T-Mobile!

I got it because it was cheap and they had unlimited data. Not worth. I get service in like 50% of College Station, and very spotty in South College Station (where I live), and now they're canceling unlimited data. Not like I ever took advantage of the unlimited data anyway, since I never can use it!

Their 3G hardly ever works. I switched to AT&T last month and just ate the contract because their coverage is so much better.

T-Mobile is terrible and frustrating. Highly recommend not getting unless you are under a tight budget.

EDIT: You also don't get service in a lot of the buildings in College Station. My husband and I would go out to eat and he would get service with his AT&T, but I wouldn't with my T-Mobile unless I walked into the parking lot.
CN
Bumping this thread again since T-Mobile has announced changes to their unlimited plan that look appealing. I live in south east College Station with an iPhone 7 and 6s in the household.

With tmo's promotional offer of $100/month for 2 lines, I'm thinking about making the switch. However, I have a friend who lives in Castlegate who says he doesn't get any reception at his house on tmo. I'm currently on Cricket and paying $90/month for two 8GB data lines and service is fine. I had AT&T's unlimited data since the first iPhone but when I saw I could save $100/month with Cricket, I made the switch last summer. But the idea of pseudo-unlimited data, faster speeds, and tethering has me interested but I'm concerned with reception in my neighborhood (Pebble Creek).
Kitten With A Whip
If you have a spare phone you could try the prepaid T-Mo service and see what the reception is like. They have plans that are around 30 and 40 bucks per month. They aren't unlimited data, but enough for a month of testing with no contract.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
LunitadelNox said:

Do not get T-Mobile!

just ate the contract because their coverage is so much better.

You may be the only person in the world that had a contract with T-Mobile.

I think they are month to month, that is why I switched to them two years ago.

Went to Europe and traveled to the UK, Ireland, Germany, Luxembourg, France and Austria made phone calls and posted on Facebook, checked Texags and did not pay an extra dime.

Not sure about your situation.

I love them
Esteban du Plantier
AG
CN
Quote:

The service is terrible in south CS and I get effectively no service inside my home.

Which phone are you using?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Nexus 6.

They're supposedly working with Google on enabling "extended range LTE" on the nexus.

I'm not sure how long I'm willing to wait to see how well that works.
stinkerbelle
We have had T-mobile for about 3 years with no major issues. We have been really happy with them and their customer service has been wonderful! This past weekend we went to Frio River and I did lose signal for the weekend, but my husband had a great signal so we just used his phone. We are on the same plan but have 2 completely different phones, so I agree with other posters, the phone you have can make a huge difference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.