Organic food available in BCS

5,104 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by halibut sinclair
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Staff suggested I start a new thread on this rather than discuss it in Coming & Going.

So, basically some people seem to believe organic foods are unavailable in this area since we don't have a Whole Foods or a Sprouts. But that is simply not the case. As I stated in the other thread, you can buy organic food at Kroger now. In fact Kroger and Walmart have taken market share from Whole Foods in many big cities with their organic selections

Would it be nice to have a Whole Foods in BCS? Absolutely. But when regular grocery stores are stealing their market share, no way will they come to a smaller market like this.

Meanwhile, there are selections available in BCS. Not as wide a selection as WF obviously, but available nonetheless.
halibut sinclair
Staff "suggestions"
Max06
AG
Sam's Club has a very good selection of organic produce and products. Some of which are even cheaper than non-organic versions.
SumAggie
"stealing" used to be called "competition". It's the way a competitive market works.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
"stealing" used to be called "competition". It's the way a competitive market works.
Understood. "Stealing" market share is just a turn of phrase, though.
FlyRod
6/10!
halibut sinclair
FNG
ksp
Farm patch has some too. I see them every Sunday. Plus they have farm eggs
FlyRod
The Bryan farmers market on Saturday has organic produce and occasionally beef, poultry and eggs.

That said, it's strange and bewildering to read comments by normally pro-business/pro-growth people who seem curiously hostile to new businesses (in this case grocery stores).

Very strange, and quite against the inexorable tide of how fast things are getting better around here.
Ornlu
AG
Would the other side of this care to explain your position? I read the posts in teh other thread, but I just don't understand. What are some examples that you "need" at whole foods that you just can't get at an HEB?
FlyRod
What burger does one "need" you can't get at McDonalds or Sonic? What breakfast does one "need" you can't get at The Kettle? Do we "need" another cable provider, since we have Suddenlink?

It's not about "need." It's about growth, and more and better. Really that simple. Do we "need" another burger place? No. Would we welcome another one? A bazillion previous threads say "yes."

Here endeth the lesson.
FNG
quote:
Would the other side of this care to explain your position? I read the posts in teh other thread, but I just don't understand. What are some examples that you "need" at whole foods that you just can't get at an HEB?

The selection isn't comparable.

HEB and Kroger carry a number of organic items. But not nearly to the extent that Whole Foods carries.

One example is Amy's frozen dinners. Both big grocers carry them. Village and Brazos Natural Foods carry them. But Whole Foods carries pretty much everything that Amy's offers. Not so locally.

Kroger at Rock Prairie and Longmire tried a prepared foods area for awhile. You chose stuff out of a case and an employee packaged the entrees or sides and weighed them and priced them. They now have packaged prepared foods ready to go. Not quite as good and doesn't have the appeal of freshness the other prepared foods offered.

Whole Foods has a huge prepared foods area. Stuff to take home and cook or heat, stuff pre-packaged and ready to go, a hot bar, a salad bar, pizzas, sandwiches, sushi, the one on Voss in Houston has a noodle bar with great soups and noodles.

Wine bar where people hang out after work and watch some sports.

Great bakery items.

It's not an apples to apples (organic) comparison when someone says "Meh. You can prolly get organics at HEB and it's all you need. Dunno."
BlueMiles
AG
I wouldn't mind a Trader Joe's.
FlyRod
Despite all the fast moving major changes here, there persists a "rinky dink" mentality that says "Why not settle for less?"

--why do we need a Rockfish Grill when we have Fish Daddy's?
--why do we need a P.F. Changs when we have Pei Wei?
--why do we need a Pappadeaux when we have Shipwreck?
--and now, why do we need a Whole Foods or Sprouts when we have Brazos Natural Foods and Village Foods?

Hey...why do we need a *horseless carriage* when we have a horse and buggy?

So funny...
Ornlu
AG
I still don't get it.

I used to live less than a block from the Westchase location of Whole (paycheck) Foods. Shopped there exactly 3 times in 5 years. First time, I had such sticker shock that I walked out 5 minutes later. Second time, I had a stomach bug and just wanted some non-canned soup but I couldn't get past the smell of the 11gallons of ?perfume? the shopper in front of me in the check out line had bathed in, so I bailed and got soup at Subway instead. Third time I bought 5lbs of blood oranges to make beer with and it cost me like $35.

I understand wanting better groceries. I'm just skeptical that's what Whole Foods is. Now Sprouts or Central Market, on the other hand, I think I understand that.
Average Joe
AG
I don't think it was a matter of not wanting growth, but rather that I've seen the comment made that you can't buy that type of food here. That's just not the case. I understand wanting the extended choices, but that market isn't huge to begin with. I'm not sure we could support a Whole Foods here. Not enough people in this town eat organic and can afford their prices.
FlyRod
Have heard the "not enough people" and "can't afford" arguments before, though, with respect to other businesses that came and made it. The area is growing fast and money is pouring in. Check out the price of houses that are coming on the market these days (and being snapped up quickly). Pretty sure we can afford most anything these days.
ksp
Not everything needs to be bought organic. Anything that has to be peeled I do not buy organic.

I never buy anything other than organic strawberries for example.

top 12 worst foods that contain over 10 pesticides in them

[ol]
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Nectarines (imported)
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Snap peas (imported)
  • Potatoes
  • [/ol]
    top 15 that contain the least

[ol]
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Onions
  • Asparagus
  • Mangos
  • Papayas
  • Kiwi
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cauliflower
  • Sweet potatoes
  • [/ol]
    FlyRod
    Whoa. Lots of staples in that first list. Good information.
    GSS
    I noticed HEB relocated their organic produce to the area closest to the entry, to snag the suc****, gulli***, err, I mean the savvy shoppers willing to pay 2-5x the price for non-organic produce (wait, can any "produce" be non organic?).

Were they accommodating the organic buyers, or just milking a higher profit margin? Maybe both?

It would take a platoon of inspectors per state or locale, to verify the veracity of "organic" growing. But carry on with demand....certainly good for someones' bottom line.
    GSS
    quote:
    Not everything needs to be bought organic. Anything that has to be peeled I do not buy organic.

[ol]
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Nectarines (imported)
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Snap peas (imported)
  • Potatoes
  • [/ol]

[ol]
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Onions
  • Asparagus
  • Mangos
  • Papayas
  • Kiwi
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cauliflower
  • Sweet potatoes
  • [/ol]

Source? Edited---EWG provides the list. But this article (NPR) counters the concern, And if the NPR types don't panic.... NPR Produce
    FlyRod
    IIRC, most of the research showing problems with pesticides are focused on the people working in the fields and processing produce, not so much the consumer.

And there are pretty serious problems in this area, but that's a different issue than worrying about whether that next apple will give you cancer.

The debate seems more contentious concerning meats, with hormones and antibiotics and all that jazz...
    ksp
    quote:
    quote:

[ol]
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Nectarines (imported)
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Snap peas (imported)
  • Potatoes
  • [/ol]

[ol]
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Onions
  • Asparagus
  • Mangos
  • Papayas
  • Kiwi
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cauliflower
  • Sweet potatoes
  • [/ol]

Source? Edited---EWG provides the list. But this article (NPR) counters the concern, And if the NPR types don't panic.... NPR Produce
    tested had a pesticide residue level higher than the government limit. And most were far below the permissible level.

Yes don't panic , the Govt is here to help. Permissible levels. Your kidneys thank you lol. I can afford it and choose to err on the side of caution. To each their pwn and no worries.

Max06
    AG
    quote:
    ORGANIC PRODUCE AND PERSONAL HEALTH

When you test synthetic chemicals for their ability to cause cancer, you find that about half of them are carcinogenic.

Until recently, nobody bothered to look at natural chemicals (such as organic pesticides), because it was assumed that they posed little risk. But when the studies were done, the results were somewhat shocking: you find that about half of the natural chemicals studied are carcinogenic as well.

This is a case where everyone (consumers, farmers, researchers) made the same, dangerous mistake. We assumed that "natural" chemicals were automatically better and safer than synthetic materials, and we were wrong. It's important that we be more prudent in our acceptance of "natural" as being innocuous and harmless.
    UC Berkeley Article on Organic Pesticides

synthetic pesticides cause cancer. Organic pesticides cause cancer. Cancer exists, and we often have no idea what causes it. To each their own on organic produce.
    ksp
    I grow as much of my own as possible with nothing on them.

Everything can slowly kill us, I am just doing my best to slow the slowly killing me part.
    PS3D
    quote:
    quote:

The selection isn't comparable.

HEB and Kroger carry a number of organic items. But not nearly to the extent that Whole Foods carries.

One example is Amy's frozen dinners. Both big grocers carry them. Village and Brazos Natural Foods carry them. But Whole Foods carries pretty much everything that Amy's offers. Not so locally.

Kroger at Rock Prairie and Longmire tried a prepared foods area for awhile. You chose stuff out of a case and an employee packaged the entrees or sides and weighed them and priced them. They now have packaged prepared foods ready to go. Not quite as good and doesn't have the appeal of freshness the other prepared foods offered.

Whole Foods has a huge prepared foods area. Stuff to take home and cook or heat, stuff pre-packaged and ready to go, a hot bar, a salad bar, pizzas, sandwiches, sushi, the one on Voss in Houston has a noodle bar with great soups and noodles.

Wine bar where people hang out after work and watch some sports.

Great bakery items.

It's not an apples to apples (organic) comparison when someone says "Meh. You can prolly get organics at HEB and it's all you need. Dunno."
    The fact that the perishable/prepared foods departments at our local supermarkets generally stink is not really related to organic supermarkets. One only needs to go to real cities and their better supermarkets to see how quickly that changes.
    Tanya 93
    The problem is you think it is just about organics.
    It isn't just about that.
    K2T2
    quote:
    I'm still confused. WHAT IS THIS ABOUT?!
    95_Aggie
    AG
    This thread is so predictable.
    Tanya 93
    quote:
    quote:
    techno tried to derail about how a Sprouts or Whole Foods type store isn't needed in B/CS on the coming and going thread. His argument was you could just get organics at HEB or Kroger, which is true.

However, the appeal of those kinds of stores are not just about an Organic selection, but the selection and variety of many things overall.
    FlyRod
    quote:
    This thread is so predictable

The most predictable aspect of it was it being started.

quote:
    However, the appeal of those kinds of stores are not just about an Organic selection, but the selection and variety of many things overall.

And their appearance is a sign that we are growing and moving forward as a community and are no longer "rinky-dink" any more.
    techno-ag
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    techno tried to derail about how a Sprouts or Whole Foods type store isn't needed in B/CS on the coming and going thread. His argument was you could just get organics at HEB or Kroger, which is true.
    Thanks for finally admitting it. The derail occurred because you said my statement was wrong. It was not wrong, and I backed it up with additional facts.

quote:
    This is a separate issue, but again our demographics just don't support a Whole Foods right now. Maybe someday they will. My original point was we can still buy organic stuff here. No, it's not the quantity and variety as you'll find in big cities, but it's available.
    Tanya 93
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    Thanks for finally admitting it. The derail occurred because you said my statement was wrong. It was not wrong, and I backed it up with additional facts.

quote:
    This is a separate issue, but again our demographics just don't support a Whole Foods right now. Maybe someday they will. My original point was we can still buy organic stuff here. No, it's not the quantity and variety as you'll find in big cities, but it's available.
    What you can't seem to comprehend is that wanting those stores isn't about organics.
    Average Joe
    AG
    What we fail to comprehend is why we can't get an answer to what the real reason is. Whole Foods sells natural and organic foods, they tag their GMO's, and only get hormone free, grass fed meats. All for a premium price. Other than the GMO tagging, all of that is provided at other places. It may not be in the same quantity, but it's there. This is agreed upon. What exactly are we missing?

If it is about growth, then it would be a terrible idea to open one right now. We don't have a market or demographic that can support a Whole Foods or Sprouts. Building one here now would likely result in it struggling or failing, and other businesses second guessing the market.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.