Organic food available in BCS

5,148 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by halibut sinclair
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
What we fail to comprehend is why we can't get an answer to what the real reason is. Whole Foods sells natural and organic foods, they tag their GMO's, and only get hormone free, grass fed meats. All for a premium price. Other than the GMO tagging, all of that is provided at other places. It may not be in the same quantity, but it's there. This is agreed upon. What exactly are we missing?

If it is about growth, then it would be a terrible idea to open one right now. We don't have a market or demographic that can support a Whole Foods or Sprouts. Building one here now would likely result in it struggling or failing, and other businesses second guessing the market.
Higher quality, more options, better perishable departments, and at the very least another grocery option to get pressure off H-E-B?

I'm sure there are people in Caldwell or Navasota who also have a similar mindset, like "well, we have a Brookshire Brothers, what more do we need?"
FlyRod
Yep. We had burgers before Grub...why did we need that? We had seafood at HEB before Fred & Fred...why did we need that? We had breakfast places like The Kettle and IHOP...why did we need First Watch? We had Boneheads (whoops)...why did we need Pappadeaux?

We are one of the fastest growing metro areas in these here United States, darn near the top in fact. Change is a-comin, whether you want it or not. Buckle up.

P.S., for fun, go look at Whole Foods locations around the country. Fayetteville Arkansas, Chandler Arizona, Huntsville Alabama...hardly havens of the super rich and super hip.
ksp
quote:
Yep. We had burgers before Grub...why did we need that? We had seafood at HEB before Fred & Fred...why did we need that? We had breakfast places like The Kettle and IHOP...why did we need First Watch? We had Boneheads (whoops)...why did we need Pappadeaux?

We are one of the fastest growing metro areas in these here United States, darn near the top in fact. Change is a-comin, whether you want it or not. Buckle up.

P.S., for fun, go look at Whole Foods locations around the country. Fayetteville Arkansas, Chandler Arizona, Huntsville Alabama...hardly havens of the super rich and super hip.
Flyrod, leave facts and stuff out of this OK!
FlyRod
Sorry...
FlyRod
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://grow.cstx.gov/?page_id=607

Disclaimer: not sure how old this blurb is.
K2T2
quote:
What you can't seem to comprehend is that wanting those stores isn't about organics.

I'm still confused about what wanting these stores IS about. You just keep saying what it's not about in very terse language.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
What you can't seem to comprehend is that wanting those stores isn't about organics.

I'm still confused about what wanting these stores IS about. You just keep saying what it's not about in very terse language.
That's one of her shticks. She started by stating I was incorrect about organic food being available in BCS. Now she's trying to move the goalposts and claim it's not about that at all.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Now she's trying to move the goalposts and claim it's not about that at all.
I thought that was your shtick?
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:

I have said it is about the type and quantity of options they have

multiple kinds of quinoa and rice
ethnic food besides Old El Paso products or soy sauce and rice noodles
Things like Black walnut oil, avocado oil, and chili oil.
Bulk bins that blow HEB away
Their delis and hot foods and salad bars.

It is just a start.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's one of her shticks. She started by stating I was incorrect about organic food being available in BCS. Now she's trying to move the goalposts and claim it's not about that at all.
Nope.
Please go back and read. I know that might be hard though.
FlyRod
Tanya beat me to it.
K2T2
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have said it is about the type and quantity of options they have

multiple kinds of quinoa and rice
ethnic food besides Old El Paso products or soy sauce and rice noodles
Things like Black walnut oil, avocado oil, and chili oil.
Bulk bins that blow HEB away
Their delis and hot foods and salad bars.

It is just a start.

Got it. Variety and selection. You said NO IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT ORGANICS like 100 times and what it was about like...once. I thought you were just trying to be a butt.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Not everything needs to be bought organic. Anything that has to be peeled I do not buy organic.

I never buy anything other than organic strawberries for example.

top 12 worst foods that contain over 10 pesticides in them

[ol]
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Nectarines (imported)
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Snap peas (imported)
  • Potatoes
  • [/ol]
    top 15 that contain the least

[ol]
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Onions
  • Asparagus
  • Mangos
  • Papayas
  • Kiwi
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cauliflower
  • Sweet potatoes
  • [/ol]

This is good enough for me to start buying all organic fruit and veggies. We regularly buy strawberries, peaches, cherry tomatoes. I do like some good grass fed beef too - not sure if that always counts as organic.
    techno-ag
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Nope.
    It's hard because your original comments were deleted. But that is indeed what you wrote.
    Tanya 93
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Nope.
    It's hard because your original comments were deleted. But that is indeed what you wrote.
    Move the goalposts.
    I said the desire for these stores isn't about organics. You cannot accept that because you know you are wrong, so you must make something up in order to save face on keeping your schtick.
    FlyRod
    It's fascinating to see someone so dedicated to dining at Sonic and GoCo devote so much energy to the subject of organic food...
    ksp
    quote:
    quote:
    Not everything needs to be bought organic. Anything that has to be peeled I do not buy organic.

I never buy anything other than organic strawberries for example.

top 12 worst foods that contain over 10 pesticides in them

[ol]
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Peaches
  • Spinach
  • Sweet bell peppers
  • Nectarines (imported)
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Snap peas (imported)
  • Potatoes
  • [/ol]
    top 15 that contain the least

[ol]
  • Avocados
  • Sweet corn
  • Pineapples
  • Cabbage
  • Sweet peas (frozen)
  • Onions
  • Asparagus
  • Mangos
  • Papayas
  • Kiwi
  • Eggplant
  • Grapefruit
  • Cantaloupe
  • Cauliflower
  • Sweet potatoes
  • [/ol]

This is good enough for me to start buying all organic fruit and veggies. We regularly buy strawberries, peaches, cherry tomatoes. I do like some good grass fed beef too - not sure if that always counts as organic.
    While I do not think it counts as organic, grass fed beef is higher in Omega three fatty acids (which are the good ones) as compared to mass produced grain fed produces way more omega 6 fatty acids (the bad ones)
    mazag08
    AG
    Whole Foods comes to markets with..

200,000 people or more within a 20 minute drive time.
    Large number of college educated residents.
    Abundant parking and standalone site.
    Easy access from roadways at a lighted intersection.
    High traffic area, excellent visibility.

College Station fits the types of places that they target. And it would absolutely succeed in South College Station.
    techno-ag
    AG

FlyRod
    halibut sinclair
    Refresh
    Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.