CS ordinance banning cell phone use while driving

39,770 Views | 271 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Clo004
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently tonight CS city council is going to decided on a city ordinance to ban cell phone use while driving. The radio mentioned that four of the councilors wanted to require both hands on the steering wheel, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
SARATOGA
Surely you're joking....

When I see people that have two hands on the wheel I get extra nervous and try and distance myself from them.

Driving is not difficult. If they are that scared, I don't want to be anywhere around them.

Stupe
S
I'm in favor of no texting while driving.

Both hands on the wheel is stupid.
SARATOGA
Also, SIRI is going to have to get WAY better at the talk to text thing....

I try and be safe by using the talk to text feature, but then I have to go back and edit for spelling and grammar when she gets the wrong word....and THAT is unsafe.

BCStalk
What if I am parched and need a sip of soda?
redd38
AG
I'm just wondering how they would expect someone with a manual transmission to shift gears.
SARATOGA
My first car was a manual transmission, which means one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter. I literally never have had two hands on the wheel....and I can't be the only one....
redd38
AG
quote:

Too f***ing bad! Unless you're a cop, then you're still permitted to talk on the phone while fiddling with your laptop and drinking your soda.
jrhmc
AG
Austin has the no cell phone use while driving and while it's a bit of a pain, it's not that big of a deal if you have bluetooth in your vehicle. I've had great luck using the Google talk to text and dial but that's one of the upsides of an Android phone. I've seen way too many people who really should know better texting and driving on Hwy. 6. Actually make that texting and swerving since what they are doing can't really be called driving. Since my kid is a soon to be driver, I'm all for a ban.

ETA: The two hands on the wheel thing is ridiculous, though.
Frio Cielo
So are they saying that the girl in front of me Monday turning left onto Texas Avenue from 2818 in front of Wal-mart with both of her hands up to her face putting makeup on while (I guess) steering with her knees and legs would be breaking the law?
redd38
AG
quote:
Austin has the no cell phone use while driving and while it's a bit of a pain, it's not that big of a deal if you have bluetooth in your vehicle. I've had great luck using the Google talk to text and dial but that's one of the upsides of an Android phone. I've seen way too many people who really should know better texting and driving on Hwy. 6. Actually make that texting and swerving since what they are doing can't really be called driving. Since my kid is a soon to be driver, I'm all for a ban.

ETA: The two hands on the wheel thing is ridiculous, though.
If they're swerving then they're already breaking the law, why make another law?

This will make Uber drivers break the law all the time.
Frio Cielo
I oten drive with one or two hands on the wheel but hold the wheel below the midpoint on the wheel. There is no way a person can tell from outside at any distance from my car whether I have two hands or not on the wheel.

So what do you do if you know your blinker doesn't work and the law states that you are required to motion with your hand and arms out the window to indicate you are turning right or left????

The two hands requirement is absolutely asinine.

Frio Cielo
Sorry for the typos....I was driving down Texas Avenue with both hands on the top of the steering wheel and texting with my little finger. After a few attempts, I will be able to do it quite well.

FlyRod
Was behind some idiot on Harvey Mitchell going 25 miles under the speed limit. I pass him and he's driving looking DOWN at his ipad propped on the steering wheel.
CS78
quote:
Too f***ing bad! Unless you're a cop, then you're still permitted to talk on the phone while fiddling with your laptop and drinking your soda.
While making an unprotected left turn at W King Cole Dr.
Gigem314
AG
quote:

Schrute Farms
I hope this is voted down. We do not need a law against texting and driving - education and technology can handle this issue.
Clo004
Yeah I can't support this. Text and driving bans do not work. We need to put our effort in changing the behavior not just banning it. Let's not forget the 15k it will cost to post signs around the city.
OlAg2001
I get more distracted by my kids in the back than by talking to someone on my phone.

IMO, texting is a separate issue from talking on the phone and way more dangerous.
InMyOpinion
quote:
Yeah I can't support this. Text and driving bans do not work. We need to put our effort in changing the behavior not just banning it. Let's not forget the 15k it will cost to post signs around the city.
im sure it won't take long to recoup the 15k
#moneymaker
PS3D
I've recently recovered from a major finger injury that left it in a splint for a week and a half. It was awkward driving with it and looked like I was flipping people off, so I resorted to driving to one hand. A cell phone ban while driving is something I can tolerate, but not some "two hands on the wheel" law.
MightyDuck
It is already so impossible to obey all the traffic laws it doesn't even matter anymore. Any cop can pull you over any time for at least one of the lines in the 500+ page transportation code.
BlazeHarper
Hope it passes. Safety is more important than using a phone.
http://techin.oureverydaylife.com/dangers-using-cell-phones-driving-1253.html
redd38
AG
The two hands on the wheel thing isn't going to happen, it just concerns me that there's four people on the city council dumb enough to even consider it.
Sea Pony 07
AG
This passed a few years ago when I lived in corpus. It stopped exactly no one from texting and driving or being on their phone. People were either more distracted by being sneaky about it or just didn't care. Cash grab by the city.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
How do you define "cell phone use" in an ordinance such as this? Is it through hand(s) on the device? Only when the car is in motion, or is a quick "OMW" text at a stoplight permissible? Must the device be powered down so that it is not receiving or sending any data?

During any substantial vehicle trip, I am using my phone to listen to music, receive directions to my destination, and have text messages read to me? Is that considered to be use? What if I'm simply using my powered-down cell phone to scratch an itch on my face? Is that illegal?

What if I have a device that has no cellular capabilities - is that illegal? Could I use a TI-82 graphing calculator to do math while driving? What about Tetris on my old Gameboy? Read a book on an Amazon Kindle?

The term ban on cell phone use seems very ambiguous. I could see banning any non-handsfree operation of a handheld electronic device while the car is in motion.

However, that still won't stop the people I've seen reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, shaving, arguing with their children, and nearly falling asleep that I've seen out on the road.

How about we throw the money it would cost us to put up no texting signs into research for self-driving cars. They can't come soon enough.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I'm in favor of no texting while driving.

Both hands on the wheel is stupid.

this.

totally in favor of a law against texting (or sexting also) while driving. both hands on the wheel requirement is silly though.
AggieJason
AG
Government needs to gtfo and stop trying to pass legislation for every bad thing.

Hands-free bans don't work.
redd38
AG
You can see the exact wording they're trying to pass in the agenda for tonight's meeting (it's on the city's website, easy to Google). You can use your phone if the vehicle is at a complete stop, there is also an exemption for navigation systems, and you can use hands free functions. But if you're getting a call and have to tap the screen to answer it or something like that then you're a criminal.
SoTheySay
S
I can text via the navigation screen on my car.
BrandoC
AG
Good.
Schrute Farms
quote:
Hope it passes. Safety is more important than using a phone.
http://techin.oureverydaylife.com/dangers-using-cell-phones-driving-1253.html

A new law does nothing to increase safety.
Schrute Farms
A law like this mainly adds penalty after an accident has happened. It's impact on safety is minimal.

The cost is an unnecessary law that allows subjective stopping of a vehicle. It is not an equal exchange, imo.
birdman
Who cares what laws those gutless eunuchs pass?

Local cops won't enforce it anyway. They already have law against running red lights. Cops will never do anything about light runners until a politicians kid gets killed.
FlyRod
I was initially against this law. But the threads that will pop up here by people who get fined for it almost seem worth it for the entertainment value.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.