Internet in Duck Haven

7,369 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sailor
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry if already asked / answered, but too lazy to keep searching....

What internet options are available in Duck Haven?
UmustBKidding
Occasionally Verizon dsl and ceoetc. Neither great as of late.
UmustBKidding
Not sure why my earlier reply disappeared.
Your options are CEOEtc, possibly Rise/Skybeam and possibly Verizon/Frontier DSL. I have Verizon and CEO, and between the two I usually have internet, neither great but both better than dialup or cellular. Rise is just typically a problem. Wish there was better news.
EvenPar
AG
Is their internet good enough to stream services like Roku or AppleTV?
75AG
AG
Thanks UMBK. We're looking at new construction out there, but bad internet will be a deal killer....
BrazosWifi
Heritage Lakes on Steep Hollow on the east side of town has super fast internet... ;-)
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
AgProgrammer
AG
I've seen on the property listings for Heritage Lakes "Fiber optic cable available for high speed internet.". Anyone know what the means in terms of who that provider is, cost, etc?
UmustBKidding
Stream, in the past it was possible, today not so much. I have middle tier CEO something like 4Mbps x 1Mbps burstable, but speed test just says 1Mbps by 0.1Mbps. Don't think they even advertise rates anymore since they can never make it. On my DSL 3Mbps x 768Kbps just got 2.6Mbps x 500Kbps.
Ceo used to be faster, than Verizon, not much these days, but I need internet so I have both just in case. Verizon has real IPv4 address, CEO sits behind multiple levels of NAT (not cool).
The Verizon DSLAM at Brentwood is typically full with no intention to expand. If someone cancels and you catch it you can get service.
So basically everyone that does not have good internet at Brentwood, Duckhaven, Sedona, Saddle Creek are in for a long wait I suspect.
Personally I have no clue why owners are not standing on the head of the HOA board. Its one of the few things they could do to make themselves useful. Build some GPON distribution infrastructure and put some licensed wireless backhaul infrastructure and partner with someone like Wirestar, BrazosWifi, or go it alone and attract people to the area. The investment I think would pay back quickly, but they are more interested in collection fees for sitting on the bottom.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
We live in duck haven and have CEO. I'm not a techie, but we literally stream Netflix every day with very little issue. Others mileage may vary.
BrazosWifi
Give us a call about Heratige Lakes. I can fill you in on who put that in.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Counterpoint
AG
What about Woodlake?
Tailgate88
AG
I am in Woodlake and have the same set up as UMBK (in fact he coached me what firewall to use and how to set it up). I am an IT guy and work from home so having Internet is critical. I have CEO's top package and usually get the advertised 7mbs down and 2? Up. But where my house is has a straight shot to the Wellborn water tower, so YMMV. For me they have decent uptime but strong rain is problematic and they have other occasional outages. Verizon is way too unreliable to be a primary connection.

Last fall a crew was surveying in Woodlake for Suddenlink. They were going to put the proposal together and corporate would decide if it was worth it. I do not know what became of that.
UmustBKidding
Tailgate is homed on the Wellborn water tower and mine is on the tower at Wade and 2154. Duck haven also has a CEO tower at the back of it. They try to distribute the loading on these sites, and actually had to point my antenna away from the tower to prevent overloading since I am less than 500 ft from it. A friend of mine actually has CEO just east of the speedway, on a small tower and largish antenna off the same tower I am on. So YMMV and I am sure CEO out do something if I called but this is why I have two connections. When one dies typically others around are screaming while I switch the other one until they get it sorted out.
Sounds like heritage in Bryan has done what people in these nice sub divisions should be doing. I'm wondering if Jim lives there. He has also built access in the Hwy 6 and Peach creek, but I don't know what is being built in that area.
If you are expecting 25Mbps internet SL & Wirestar are the only options unless you build your own.
jac4
AG
I am a tech idiot so please keep that in mind as you read this post. Lots of folks in Saddle Creek have had problems with both of our options here. A few folks that rely on Internet for their home based business have both. I subscribe the the mid range CEO package which is 5-7 download. For most of the fall and winter, we were getting 1.5 download at the absolute best.

Based on the complaints from our Facebook group, CEO made house calls to many customers in the neighborhood. The tech came out and said they adjusted the antenna as it may have been moved by wind. I'm not sure if they did anything else to optimize our connection though. Since then, we routinely get 5+ downloads. Peak usage times it may drop to around 3.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything improving Internet options here in the short term. I wish we could get LTE signal from AT&T. It's frustrating I can get LTE signal in a deer blind in Mason, TX, but I can't get it a few miles from one of the largest universities in the country.
BrazosWifi
Quality wireless Internet requires proper frequency planning and adequate backhaul capacity.

That said, we are offering true 30mbps off of the new towers. I have been very pleased with this new generation of wireless gear.

Wireless can deliver a solid product if it is done right.
75AG
AG
quote:
Quality wireless Internet requires proper frequency planning and adequate backhaul capacity.

That said, we are offering true 30mbps off of the new towers. I have been very pleased with this new generation of wireless gear.

Wireless can deliver a solid product if it is done right.
So, do you have any plans for the Duck Haven area?
UmustBKidding
A couple things.
Sudden Link built the required fiber link for AT&T to have LTE with enhanced backhaul to the Duck haven tower. It's hanging on the pole on the wrong side of tracks right now. Not sure the schedule to bore it to the tower site and it may depend on UP's plans with their double track project. So LTE maybe in the near term future but is not a real solution to your internet there.
Frequency Planning is necessary, but so is Coordination. And to my knowledge all the WISP's in the area are using ISM/Unlicensed spectrum to implement their distribution. There may be some licensed links in the core which helps, but am sure many of those are unlicensed also. But what is working great today may be totally useless tomorrow when someone turns on their widget. In many areas WISP's make agreements as to channel usage within areas, I don't know of any such agreements locally, but I am not in that business.

BrazosWifi
I don't have any plans for Duck Haven at this point. The area isn't worth building into because of the high likelyhood that Suddenlink will be there soon.

As for using unlicensed frequencies: They do come with a certain amount of due diligence and maintenance but there is about 800Mhz worth of 5Ghz spectrum to choose from. Each channel has it's own strengths and drawbacks. It comes down to proper engineering.
SARATOGA
How much internets is required to have a family of 5 all streaming different netflix movies in perfect 4k HD without any buffering or delays, while all browsing youtube videos on their phones also on their home network.

And now if there are 500 more families doing the same thing within a square file. repeat repeat repeat

The internet infrastructure in this country is tragically and woefully pathetic.

(we had a chance to do something about it during all that stimulus money crap during the last recession 8 years ago...but NOOOO)

Fiber to every home. Add it to the bill of rights.

BrazosWifi
500 homes per square mile absolutely requires FTTH or at least coax. 1-5 homes a square mile requires wireless to be cost effective.

Between those points is the tricky part. Many rural subdivisions fall into this middle ground.
flytxag
AG
Brazos wifi,

Any news on expanding deeper into and around Burleson county especially areas of snook and Caldwell? I saw you guys put up a big tower near cooks point. Just crossing fingers as our options are pretty limited.
StringerBell
AG
quote:
We live in duck haven and have CEO. I'm not a techie, but we literally stream Netflix every day with very little issue. Others mileage may vary.

Same here. We're in DH and have had no major issues with CEO.
EvenPar
AG
You all that have CEO internet that works well in Duckhaven...how much are you paying a month?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
We have the Residential Pro - Residential Pro Package (2 to 4Mbps download speed and 1 to 2Mbps upload speed with Max Burst) and pay $52.05/month with tax.
EvenPar
AG
Are there any updates on Internet options in Duckhaven? Has CEO fixed their issues? Rise says they can get up to 15mbps and they're less expensive than CEO. CEO says they have to install a 10 ft antenna on the peak of the roof. Anyone use Rise?
07AgTH
AG
curious to see replies, having home build out there now
deh40
AG
Anyone know any details on the fiber being put in Duck Haven and Saddle Creek by CEO? Cost, speed, when available..?
75AG
AG
deh40 said:

Anyone know any details on the fiber being put in Duck Haven and Saddle Creek by CEO? Cost, speed, when available..?
Spoke to a CEO guy when they were laying conduit. He said they hope to have 200 Mbps up and running "by the start of football season". At around $120/mo.

But that was last month.
Expert Analysis
AG
I heard from one of their customer service reps it would be ready for home installs by September. She indicated prices/speeds would be comparable to suddenlink. I heard from on of their tech guys it would be ready by the end of the year. It was indicated that there will be a charge for the install.
deh40
AG
Expert Analysis said:

I heard from one of their customer service reps it would be ready for home installs by September. She indicated prices/speeds would be comparable to suddenlink. I heard from on of their tech guys it would be ready by the end of the year. It was indicated that there will be a charge for the install.
I hope the customer service rep is correct, the post above yours says they were told $120/mn. I think that is considerable more than Suddenlink. The amount charged for installation is the big wildcard.
Ornlu
AG
I think that's in line with Suddenlink's pricing as we pay $120/mo for Suddenlink 200mps no caps in south Bryan.
deh40
AG
Ornlu said:

I think that's in line with Suddenlink's pricing as we pay $120/mo for Suddenlink 200mps no caps in south Bryan.
I was looking at their website and they advertised 200 mps unlimited for $69.95. Maybe that is an introductory offer.
75AG
AG
deh40 said:

Ornlu said:

I was looking at their website and they advertised 200 mps unlimited for $69.95. Maybe that is an introductory offer.
I'm currently paying $106/ mo. (taxes, fees included) for 7- 10 mpbs down with CEO. We rarely get 7-10 mbps down - usually 3-5. I'll gladly pay roughly the same for 200.
kyledr04
AG
They may be ready to start home installs by September but I bet it's only in certain parts of Saddle creek and they'll slowly will out to the rest if Saddle Creek then Duck Haven. It will probably be a while to get it into every house especially since everyone will want it and they don't have a big staff.
Prescient
75AG said:

Thanks UMBK. We're looking at new construction out there, but bad internet will be a deal killer....
I live about a mile and a half closer to town than you and use CEO. We stream with Roku on multiple TVs at once with rarely a problem.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.