***Official Brazos Valley High School Football Thread***

44,046 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nickstro66
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm pretty sure they're the smallest 5A high school in the state
pudge
quote:
That snapshot is for realignment - I forgot about that. However, I do know that there is very little difference between the enrollment numbers in CS and Consol. I want to say there is a difference of 50 students. Maybe yearly numbers should be used instead of a number from two years ago. It is expected for CSHS to pass Consol in enrollment soon.

Those numbers came straight from Dave Campbell's Texas Football website. Snapshot day was today I think, so those numbers I posted are used so the coaches from from the beginning of the season where they stand. To use the numbers for today would be like changing boats in the middle of the stream.

Today's snapshot will go toward realignment.
pudge
quote:
quote:
That snapshot is for realignment - I forgot about that. However, I do know that there is very little difference between the enrollment numbers in CS and Consol. I want to say there is a difference of 50 students. Maybe yearly numbers should be used instead of a number from two years ago. It is expected for CSHS to pass Consol in enrollment soon.

Those numbers came straight from Dave Campbell's Texas Football website. Snapshot day was today I think, so those numbers I posted are used so the coaches from from the beginning of the season where they stand. To use the numbers for today would be like changing boats in the middle of the stream.
pudge
quote:
I'm pretty sure they're the smallest 5A high school in the state
UIL Rank Order for 2014-16 Alignment -- Yes, I was bored...lol

Football

6A (2100+)
Largest -- Allen, 5987
Smallest -- Houston Milby 2105
Playing Up -- Houston Strake Jesuit 1872 (must play in largest conference by rule), Katy Tompkins 1672 (new school with 9-11 grades)

5A (1060-2099)
Largest -- Houston Spring Woods 2091.5
Smallest -- San Antonio Somerset 1063
Playing Up -- FW Dunbar 828

4A (465-1059)
Largest -- Orange Little Cypress-Mauriceville 1056
Smallest -- Groesbeck 467

3A (220-464)
Largest -- Glen Rose 462
Smallest -- Freer, Jewitt Leon, Linden-Kildare all with 221

2A 11 man (105-219)
Largest -- Groveton 219
Smallest -- Bruni 105
Playing Up -- Munday 104, Mt. Enterprise 102, Burton 100, Perrin-Whitt 100, Crosbyton 99, D'Hanis 99, Wink 98, Baird 95, Springlake-Earth 93, Leakey 93, Runge 93, Cross Plains 91, Burkeville 91, Bronte 89, Barksdale Nueces Canyon 86, Menard 86, Gorman 78, Roby 72

1A 6 man (104.9 & below)
Largest -- Campbell 100
Smallest -- Benjamin 18, Marathon 9 (is listed as playing football, but has no record)
nickstro66
AG
In an unrelated note, the Allen Academy volleyball team just won state today
gibby03
AG
Awesome. Good for them.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
quote:
Word for the future: Bryan's Soph and 9th grade teams have only lost a couple games between them this year. Ross has more talent coming.

This is true, Bryan's got some athletes coming up. So does College Station. Bryan's freshmen B team beat CSHS's freshmen B team, and CSHS's freshmen A team beat Bryan's freshmen A team in a close game. Huntsville's got some athletes on their younger teams as well. I believe they beat Bryan by 1 point, and lost to CSHS in a thriller by 3
gibby03
AG
Bryan's and College Station's JV's were both undefeated on Wednesday when they played. CS won 38-30 in a close game.

Bryan's 9th "A" team lost 50-35 (CS scored one with under a minute to make it 50, should've been 42-35)

Bryan's 9th "B" team beat CS 6-0. They had not lost a game this year. Good games by all overall.

Looking down the ranks it looks like Bryan and CS have the best talent coming up. Should be fun for the next few years.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
quote:
Word for the future: Bryan's Soph and 9th grade teams have only lost a couple games between them this year. Ross has more talent coming.

This is true, Bryan's got some athletes coming up. So does College Station. Bryan's freshmen B team beat CSHS's freshmen B team, and CSHS's freshmen A team beat Bryan's freshmen A team in a close game. Huntsville's got some athletes on their younger teams as well. I believe they beat Bryan by 1 point, and lost to CSHS in a thriller by 3

Bryan has a Texas Hall of Fame head coach for the talent it has coming.

[This is a good thread about local football as a general subject. In order to keep this thread from being derailed by an issue with a specific game, we are requesting that a separate thread be started concerning that issue. Thank you. -Staff]
OnlyANobody
Bryan Vikings 33, Rudder Rangers 19. While I'm a Rudder mom, happy to see Bryan become District Champions again!
Bryanisbest
AG
Bryan wins wild one. Willis wins. Bryan at home v Manor
lockett93
AG
Brazos Christian defeats St Joseph 42-14. It was 42-0 at the half.
dfphotos
Honnas and Mather make that team real dangerous.
BANA89
AG
So other than Bryan what's the playoffs look like for CS and Consol?
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
CRM_114
Consol at Waco
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Sounds like Bryan vs Manor, Consol vs Waco, and CSHS vs Hutto (I think). To clear things up, though, those 3 local schools all won a share of the district title.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Sounds like Bryan vs Manor, Consol vs Waco, and CSHS vs Hutto (I think). To clear things up, though, those 3 local schools all won a share of the district title.

Yes, they are co-champions, but the tiebreaker rules give the championship to Bryan.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
What are the tiebreaker rules? College Station beat Consol, Bryan beat College Station, but Consol beat Bryan
EVA3
AG
Point differential.
EVA3
AG
I don't know that it matters. All three get a trophy, and once the divisions are set, it goes by head to head.
Aggie
AG
All 3 are Tri- Champions
pudge
quote:
quote:

Yes, they are co-champions, but the tiebreaker rules give the championship to Bryan.
No -- tie-breaker rules are there only to sort which school goes in which position for playoffs. All schools in a tie for 1st place are district champions.
Bryanisbest
AG
But there are tie breaker rules in place and Bryan fans are celebrating even if the rules don't specifically apply to every situation.
gibby03
AG
Look, the point is all three schools will put a gold trophy in their cases and call themselves Champions. The point system, by the way is not point differential anymore, it's only positive points, has nothing to do with seeding in this case. Football divides into D1 and D2 and then uses head to head to seed.

So, in football it really means nothing. Other sports can use the points though.
gibby03
AG
quote:
But there are tie breaker rules in place and Bryan fans are celebrating even if the rules don't specifically apply to every situation.

If a school wanted to do that then Bryan fans would be correct. They are +10 over CS. Consol is +9 over Bryan and CS is +7 over Consol.

But, the other two schools will just claim Tri-Champs because they don't have the points in their favors. That's just the nature of it.
Bryanisbest
AG
So under what situation would this tie breaker method ever apply to a three way tie? Only to decide seeding? Or would it only ever apply to two way ties to decide seeding?
pudge
quote:
That's cool! All 3 schools should celebrate their district championship!! They all earned it! Good luck in the playoffs..
pudge
quote:
So under what situation would this tie breaker method ever apply to a three way tie? Only to decide seeding? Or would it only ever apply to two way ties to decide seeding?
It would break a tie for the last playoff position or 3 or more teams tied for the 3rd/4th playoff positions.

Last night -- Pflugerville, Round Rock Stony Point, and Round Rock McNeil finished tied for 4th (only one can get in) and all the tie breakers kept them still tied. (That's what I read -- I don't know their tie-breaker rules.) So all 3 head coaches met last night at Dragon Stadium around 10:30 and flipped coins to see who would make it. Pflugerville won the flips and will get to continue their season.

One thing -- each district must decide their own tie-breaker rules before the season because if they don't, the UIL has specific rules on how to break all ties. I know when I was coaching softball, we had every possible scenario we could think of and how to break those ties written specifically for our district before the season started. Saved us a lot of issues down the line for sure.
BANA89
AG
Any update on the Bryan, Consol, CS game locations? They all have to be neutral site now, correct?
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
nickstro66
AG
Bryan vs Manor at Merrill Green

Consol vs Waco at Waco

CSHS vs Hutto at Cougar Stadium

Navasota vs West Columbia at Waller

Allen Academy vs El Paso Faith at Sterling City

Brazos Christian vs Austin School for the Deaf at TBA
gibby03
AG
quote:
Any update on the Bryan, Consol, CS game locations? They all have to be neutral site now, correct?
No, College Station and Bryan both played their respective teams last year in the 1st round and are doing the same this year. Last year both of those teams had to go to Hutto and Manor by flipping home and home and losing.

In the UIL rule book, in football anyway, if you play home and home and the next year you play again then the team who was home the year before has to honor the return trip. So, that's why College Station and Bryan are playing at home this year on Friday night. There was no other option.

pudge
quote:
quote:
No, College Station and Bryan both played their respective teams last year in the 1st round and are doing the same this year. Last year both of those teams had to go to Hutto and Manor by flipping home and home and losing.

In the UIL rule book, in football anyway, if you play home and home and the next year you play again then the team who was home the year before has to honor the return trip. So, that's why College Station and Bryan are playing at home this year on Friday night. There was no other option.

This is exactly right. I think it applies to all sports, but I'm not sure. I never played just a straight home or visitor game in the playoffs while I was coaching so it never happened to me. It was either neutral, or home/home in a 2 out of 3 series. I didn't mind the home/home in a series because it was a lot cheaper than to pay for a neutral facility for 3 games.
gettingitdone
How did Allen make the playoffs? I think they only won two games this season. I guess rules for private schools are different?
Aggie
AG
quote:
How did Allen make the playoffs? I think they only won two games this season. I guess rules for private schools are different?

They are in TCAL which is very small.
I'm talking like less than 20 schools in the entire state. I believe there are only 2 football districts in TCAL so I think everybody or pretty much everybody advances to playoffs.

TAPPS is the biggest private school league. Sort of like the UIL for private schools
nickstro66
AG
Everyone in TCAL makes playoffs with your overall record and strength of schedule effecting your seeding

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.