***Official Brazos Valley High School Football Thread***

43,967 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by nickstro66
EVA3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hope the CS kid is ok. Anyone have a report?
Bryanisbest
AG
If Willis beats Huntsville next week Bryan avoids Temple. If not, Bryan will have to face Temple.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
If Willis beats Huntsville next week Bryan avoids Temple assuming Bryan beats Rudder. If not, Bryan will have to face Temple.
gibby03
AG
That's not an upset. Everyone just THOUGHT that because Bryan lost to Consol it was a forgone conclusion they would lose to College Station. Well they put that too bed didn't they? They didn't just beat them, they actually dominated most of that game.

College Station's Offense was averaging over 500 yards of offense against the def and blind teams of the district. The Bryan D held them to 350. With 120 of that coming on two big plays, props to them, but their offense was dominated for the most part.

Like the Bryan Viking football Twitter page said, "never underestimate the dog backed into the corner, the bite is vicious". Bryan lined up and knocked College Station in the mouth.

For the last three weeks the media has been all over Consol and College Station. Well guess what, Bryan waited in the shadows and came out head hunting tonight. Good job Bryan.
halibut sinclair
Oogway
Perhaps you missed the earlier posts regarding lightning causing delays? If a front is due to stick around, that can mean very long delays for all involved. Moving the game is an inconvenience, certainly, but a Monday game might have been even more difficult.
I expect Saturday may see some delays as well, unless the front moves on through, but since that game starts earlier, that may be good for concessions $$$.
gettingitdone
How does seeding for playoffs work when there is a three way tie in the district?
nickstro66
AG
Allen Academy's game at Clear Lake Christian has been cancelled unfortunately.
lockett93
AG
Brazos Christian won 40-34. Should create a 3 way for for first in district. http://m.theeagle.com/brazos_sports/brazos-christian-beaumont-legacy/article_9f869ee8-7ece-11e5-b592-8bd95b8f29e9.html?mode=jqm
gibby03
AG
So, in football they are seeded based off Big School and Small School enrollment figures. Right now, the only thing DEFINITE is that, Bryan, CS and Consol are in the playoffs and College Station will be the #1 seed SMALL SCHOOL and they will play whomever is considered the #2 small school from the other district.

Here's where it gets tricky. Huntsville and Willis play Livingston and Caney Creek tonight, both should win. Meaning next week in Willis the winner of Huntsville and Willis will be the 4th team in from the district. If Huntsville wins and gets in, then Consol goes in as the #1 BIG SCHOOL and Bryan the #2 BIG SCHOOL. However, if Willis wins and gets in, then that bumps Consol to #2 SMALL SCHOOL (by virtue of losing to College Station) and moves Bryan into the #1 BIG SCHOOL and Willis into the #2 BIG SCHOOL (by virtue of beating Willis head to head). Make sense?

Here's another way to look at it:

Bryan, Consol and College Station are in.

If Huntsville wins and gets in:

Consol #1 Big
Bryan #2 Big (by virtue of head to head loss to Consol)

College Station #1 Small
Huntsville #2 Small

If Willis wins and gets in:

Bryan #1 Big
Willis #2 Big (by virtue of head to head loss to Bryan)

College Station #1 Small
Consol #2 Small (by virtue of losing to College Station)

Clear as mud huh?

It all happens that way because Willis' enrollment is bigger than Consol but Huntsville's is smaller, which is causing all this to happen this way.

As for the 3-Way tie, all it really does is create a Tri Champion, doesn't really have anything to do with seeding for playoffs anymore. Although technically, if Bryan, Consol and College Station all end up tied, Bryan actually has claim to the District Championship the most because of point differential. Bryan is +10 points from last night and College Station is +7 from their win over Consol and Consol is +9 from their win over Bryan. But, in reality they will all be considered Tri-Champs.

nickstro66
AG
Flooding could also be an issue. It's dangerous to have people driving through the city if there is flooding. The delays and the flooding would make the games almost impossible to play.
dman2217

As for the 3-Way tie, all it really does is create a Tri Champion, doesn't really have anything to do with seeding for playoffs anymore. Although technically, if Bryan, Consol and College Station all end up tied, Bryan actually has claim to the District Championship the most because of point differential. Bryan is +10 points from last night and College Station is +7 from their win over Consol and Consol is +9 from their win over Bryan. But, in reality they will all be considered Tri-Champs.

So does it actually say one team can "claim" the district championship by points in a 3 way tie in the district by-laws?

gibby03
AG
All three would claim District Champion. It's really more a formality than anything else. If you wanted to "crown" a Champion then it would be Bryan, but again it doesn't matter in anything regarding the playoffs or not.

Put it this way, each team would go into next year looking to "defend their District Crown".
TAMU1990
AG
Today is the day when school districts take enrollment numbers for the state. Is this number used for seeding? Last year Huntsville was 4 students smaller than Consol.
gibby03
AG
Yes, school enrollment is the number used for seeding within the district. It's called a "snapshot" and they then rank the schools 1-however many in the district so when it comes to this time they rank them big school/small school.

Also Wendy, those enrollment figures are good for 2 years. Meaning THREE years ago on this date UIL took a snapshot of all the schools in this district and then ranked them based on size. It doesn't change for the two years schools are aligned in their districts. Today's snapshot will affect the next two years. Sometimes, some schools actually end up growing or shrinking during those two years and the ACTUAL numbers don't match the rankings.

Right now for this 2 year alignment we are in I believe they go something like this:

1. Bryan
2. Caney Creek
3. Willis
4. Consol
5. Huntsville
6. College Station
7. Rudder
8. Livingston

Rudder and College Station may be flipped though, can't remember off hand for sure.
victory
AG
nice work on that Gibby. For the 2nd consecutive year the Huntsville-Willis game will determine the 4th playoff team and have major implications on the local schools. Should be a wild atmosphere in Willis next Friday night. You got Willis-Huntsville, Rudder-Bryan next week...would be great in Consol-CS could get matched up in week 10.
pudge
texashsfootball.com has the standings going into this weekend with enrollments:

Here is the list of teams with enrollments:

18-5A (updated as of last night's games)
5-1 Bryan 1938
5-1 College Station A&M Consolidated 1715
5-1 College Station 1549
2-3 Willis 1862
2-3 Huntsville 1710
2-4 Bryan Rudder 1391
1-4 Livingston 1103
0-5 Conroe Caney Creek 1893
Bryan 27, College Station 17
Consol 59, Rudder 12
Livingston at Huntsville at SHSU Bowers Stadium
Willis vs Caney Creek at Moorhead Stadium, Conroe HS (ironic that Willis HS is closer to stadium that Caney Creek!)

17-5A
5-0 Temple 2027
3-1 Manor 2008
2-2 Hutto 1547
2-2 Waco 1737
2-3 Pflugerville Connally 1963
1-3 Elgin 1286
0-4 Waco University 1538
University at Hutto
Elgin at Waco, Waco ISD Stadium
Manor at Connally
Temple OPEN

dman2217
So if Bryan dominated CS in winning by 10 does that mean that Consol dominated Bryan since they beat them by 9? I suppose Temple slaughtered Bryan then since they beat them 55-0?
EVA3
AG
quote:
So if Bryan dominated CS in winning by 10 does that mean that Consol dominated Bryan since they beat them by 9? I suppose Temple slaughtered Bryan then since they beat them 55-0?
Uh-oh...someone got their dander up. What we're saying has nothing to do with the score; it has to do with how the teams played. Bryan dominated the line of scrimmage all night. Either you were not there, or you're just having an emotional response to what we said.

I did not get to see the Consol-Bryan game, so I can't answer your question. Sounded like a great game where Consol pulled away at the end.

As for Bryan-Temple, I did not see that game either. Temple certainly dominated based on the score. Scores like that usually indicate (1) Temple dominated the line of scrimmage; (2) Temple passed a lot and burned Bryan's secondary deep often; (3) Temple had a really fast back, and once he got past the linebackers it was a track meet (this happened with Lache Seastrunk...I was at that game); or (4) one or more of the above.

dman2217
No dander up here...just legitimately asking.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
quote:
Wow! That's an upset.

I'd say a mild upset. I was at the game, and while it was a great game, Bryan dominated in the trenches all night.

That's a stretch. CSHS posted too many sacks, tfl to have been dominated in the trenches all night.

Bryan played better and deserved to win and in the end they were able to pull it out. Certainly a crazy upset though.
gettingitdone
So how is it that Bryan could end up facing Temple? I though #1 big school played #4 big school and #2 and #3 play each other? Last year Bryan as the #1 big school and played the #4 big school from the other district which I believe was Manor???
dman2217
Because Bryan lost to Consol. If Consol goes big school Consol would be the #1 big school and Bryan would be the #2 big school thus playing the #1 big school from district 17 and Consol playing the #2 big school from 175A
gibby03
AG
Someone please explain to me how a 5-0 College Station (in district) getting beat by a 4-1 Bryan team who lost to Consol late is a CRAZY or BIG upset? Who has College Station beaten on their schedule worth a darn, besides Consol? I'm not saying Bryan lit the world on fire in non district as well but I'm having a hard time seeing this is as a HUGE upset.

Those were two good teams and Bryan deserved to be on that field just as much as College Station. College Station hasn't shown to be SUPERIOR to Bryan in anyway based off of schedule results.

Let's not make this into a Top 10 ranked team getting knocked off by a below average team.
gettingitdone
GOT IT!!! THANKS
gettingitdone
In which poll is CS ranked in the top 10 and how does this come to be when Bryan is coming in to the 2015 season district champs and went further in the playoffs last year?
CactusThomas
AG
No top teams were in Bryan last night. CSHS would have been good this year if their qb didn't get hurt in preseason. They should be a good team next year.

Bryan was district champs last year and upset some teams in the playoffs but they only had one good player and he was a senior. That's why no one expects anything from them this year.
Lone Stranger
Bryan is now 2-0 against CSHS while CSHS is 2-0 against Consol. Interesting times. I'm not sure many would have predicted that 2 years ago when the district was formed.

gibby03
AG
quote:
No top teams were in Bryan last night. CSHS would have been good this year if their qb didn't get hurt in preseason. They should be a good team next year.

Bryan was district champs last year and upset some teams in the playoffs but they only had one good player and he was a senior. That's why no one expects anything from them this year.

Yet.......they are in perfect position to win the District again without that "one player".
Oogway
CSHS is still pretty good, Cactus. So are Consol and Bryan. Does District 18 have some weaker teams? Sure. Livingston having almost a full class size fewer students adds an extra challenge for them, I imagine. I look forward to the playoffs.

When it comes right down to it, any team can work and plan and prepare and still come up short. The happy little moments that happen sometimes during a game can be appreciated just as much as that unbelievable last second play that wins a game (I still shake my head at that play Consol had a few years ago against Cove that went viral) That is why when one has four quarters of a starry night when every little thing seems to 'click,' when the passes sail straight and true, when the blocks are clean, the tackles are quick and even the bounce and wiggle of the punt falls for your team, you just have to sit back and be grateful and never for a moment feel smug. You win some, you lose some and that is sport and that is life.
Bryanisbest
AG
It is interesting that the media, especially KBTX and to a lesser extent the Eagle and the radio announcers, have slobered all over the CS teams all this year. It appears the take was that Bryan was a one trick pony team last year and could not contend this year without him. Then Bryan got killed by Temple and were totally counted out by everyone, everyone except their own players and coaches. That is what makes football a great game. I will also say Bryan better watch out for Rudder. Anything can happen .
Bryanisbest
AG
Word for the future: Bryan's Soph and 9th grade teams have only lost a couple games between them this year. Ross has more talent coming.
pudge
quote:
So how is it that Bryan could end up facing Temple? I though #1 big school played #4 big school and #2 and #3 play each other? Last year Bryan as the #1 big school and played the #4 big school from the other district which I believe was Manor???
No, only 4 teams make the playoffs from each district. The larger two go Division 1 and the smaller two go Division 2. So all you have is Division 1 #1 and #2 and Division 2 #1 and #2. So last year, Bryan was the #1 Division 1 team and played Manor who was the #2 Division 1 team. Now Manor may have finished in 4th place, but if they were one of the two largest schools of the 4 who made the playoffs, then they would have been the #2 in Division 1 and still would have played Bryan. About as clear as mud...lol
TAMU1990
AG
That snapshot is for realignment - I forgot about that. However, I do know that there is very little difference between the enrollment numbers in CS and Consol. I want to say there is a difference of 50 students. Maybe yearly numbers should be used instead of a number from two years ago. It is expected for CSHS to pass Consol in enrollment soon.
TAMU1990
AG
Isn't 1100 the cut off for 5A? Wow, I feel for Livingston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.