Replacing A/C - need recommendations on brands and companies

8,139 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlueMiles
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(Crosspost from the Home Improvement board). I know this thread has been done before but...things change...

Our AC is 15 years old and the drip pan in the attic has rusted through. During my semi-annual checkup the last few times, I've had two different techs give me the "it's on borrowed time" speech. I'd like to be proactive about it rather than have it go out in August.

The house is 2150 sf but currently has two units. The original owners were a couple with no kids and I guess they wanted to be able to close off the hallway with two bedrooms/one bath when not in use. The smaller unit does that side of the house. One of the techs mentioned we could save some money on replacements if they re-did some ductwork and put one bigger unit (instead of two smaller units) in. Thoughts?

Also looking for brand names and A/C company recommendations in the BCS area. I intend to get a couple quotes but if there are certain brands to stay way from, that would be good info to have.

Thanks!
dgonzo99
C&S has a really good reputation. They do a great job.
JP76
Chris Crain
979 575 5575

I've used him for 18 years for both my construction related jobs and personal residences.
Stay away from the brand Goodman.
Bob2525
James from All Seasons. He usually has a busy schedule but the most honest man I've ever met in the business.
979-779-2566
Abbyag06
Ed with Advantage Air Systems replaced our system 4 years ago and did a great job and was very reasonable. 979-255-1415. Would not hesitate to use again.
EliteElectric
C&S
carpe vinum
AG
We went through this last year. Aggieland and lavco were a tossup on price and qualit .
Bigderk21
AG
Air solutions!! Karl and coulter are great! They do all our work on our rental property! Honest and timely service! 979-693-2984
betas2000
AG
Seriously call Marco 979-777-2520 with Aire Cool he is very reasonable and has installed 2 new units for my family and was the best price by far. He is has some followers here on mybcs who have been more then happy with him.
ukbb2003
You should definitely be able to cool/heat that size house with one unit, most likely a 4-ton unit. Installing a zoned, damper system with the one unit will have the same effect that the previous owners were going for with two.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks all! Keep the suggestions coming. I plan on three bids and am pretty sure I know who two are coming from so far.
OnlyANobody
I have read so many threads on here that said "Marco with Aire Cool. EOT" - And then, I needed A/C repairs in the middle of summer. It's true. He's responsive, honest, reasonable and gets the job done quickly.
Tailgate88
AG
So far I am going to get quotes from Marco and Lavco. Who should the third be?
betas2000
AG
Tailgate88, tell Marco betas2000 referred you. He does a lot of work for me and my family!
Jim65
AG
My wife and I have used Donald Mize at Mize HVAC on Cavitt in Bryan for years. Very reliable, knows HVAC both going and coming, great techs, always on time and responsive when there is a problem. VERY highly recommended.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Seriously call Marco 979-777-2520 with Aire Cool he is very reasonable and has installed 2 new units for my family and was the best price by far. He is has some followers here on mybcs who have been more then happy with him.
This! Marco is AMAZING. Fast, cost efficient, and extremely likable. Such a good guy.
NativeTxn
quote:
quote:
This! Marco is AMAZING. Fast, cost efficient, and extremely likable. Such a good guy.
Highly recommend.

I have been so impressed with his level of service over the past 5+ years, I probably won't even bother with estimates if/when the time comes. Actually, I probably would because its the smart thing to do, but I would likely go with him anyway because his level of service is unmatched, in my experience. If, in fact, his bid were to be higher than others, the extra cost would be worth it. There just aren't many like him around anymore.
Muzzleblast
I posted this on the Home Improvement board as well....

The unit in my house is a Rheem. It was installed by Lavco in Bryan.
I've had lots of problems with the unit and install. Lavco service has been spotty at best.
Can't recommend Rheem
halibut sinclair
JG Innovative Services. 778-9990
NellCote71
My air conditioner went out this summer, and Marco was at my house in less than 30 minutes. It was like he was driving around on my end of town waiting for my call. Before the AC died for good, he came out on the Fourth of July weekend. He makes you feel like you are his only customer.
legalbird
Rheem garbage. 4 year old unit.
lj801
I have received several quotes recently. I will tell you that the company j have been most impressed with and most likely go with is RM Mullinex. Of all the reps that came to my house, they really took their time looking over what was needed and visiting with me. Most were in and out within 30 minutes. He was here well over an hour. Most of the reps wanted to install a larger unit in my home, saying it was needed. RM Mullinex was one of the only ones (even knowing others had said this) that told me the size unit I had was fine. Even though a larger unit would mean more $, he bluntly told me that you don't want an oversized unit. If they oversize, your unit will start up and shut down more causing more wear and tear, and also have more issues with humidity in the house.

One thing to ask any of them when scheduling a quote is do they do a Manual J load test for free. If they act like they have no idea what you are talking about or that it is a waste of time, move along. It is important to get a proper sized AC. https://www.energyvanguard.com/service-category/hvac-load-calculations

As for brands, most have a preferred brand they install. If that brand is Goodman or Rheem, and they tell you all units are created equal and it is just installation that matters, also move along. I will agree installation is about 85 percent of it, but quality of the brand still matters. Goodman is okay, but it costs less for a reason. If you are in the house short-term I would maybe say consider those. Some of the more enduring brands would be American Standard/Trane, Lennox, or Carrier. Although I have read that parts for Lennox are harder to get and thus more costly. RM Mullinex does American Standard. Most places offered same level of warranty, their company offered more. When you get your quote, it should have the model number of the AC they recommend. Google it to see reviews, all brands can have some lemons. Some more than others though. Hope this helps.
The Original AG 76
AG
whats interesting is how little experience that the locals , even Marco, have with mini-splits.
txgardengirl
BCS Air Sokutions. Coulter & Karl are my go to crew
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Looking for quotes? Give us a call if you would like to compare. EcoZapp A/C Efficiency is Private Label Goodman dealers, which gives us access to High-Efficiency Equipment ( which we price very competitively to lower SEER ratings), 10-year warranty with lifetime compressor, and some really good financing options.

Plus we're throwing in a Free Reme Halo Air Purifiers will all new systems ( part of our cleaner/ more efficient air approach)

- www.ecozapphvac.com -

CN
Stay away from Amana. That's what we have and the coil had to be replaced after 6 years at a cost of $1600. A friend of mine had the exact same issue with his Amana. I've heard really good things about Trane.
AgSportsFan
AG
CN said:

Stay away from Amana. That's what we have and the coil had to be replaced after 6 years at a cost of $1600. A friend of mine had the exact same issue with his Amana. I've heard really good things about Trane.

Ditto. Amana is a crap brand.
lj801
AgSportsFan said:

CN said:

Ditto. Amana is a crap brand.

Amana is same as Goodman. Here are some brands that come off the same manufacturing lines, just different paint, labels, and marketing:

• Goodman and Amana
  • Lennox, Armstrong and Concord
  • Trane and American Standard
  • Carrier, Payne, Bryant and Tempstar
  • York, Lux and Coleman
  • Rheem and Ruud

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
So Amana had a rough patch years ago ( hence the bad systems) , Daikin got involved in 2012 and their products and especially their brazing quality got totally revamped. Non expert level brazing piles on the coil issues. So if you have an Amana system before that :/

Also apparently lots of unlicensed contractors used to be able to get their hands on Amana systems pretty easy and that added to the stigma
EBrazosAg
AG
That's great info.

Shame that Goodman is not highly thought of by most. Is the place on 290 just the world wide distribution center or a manufacturing plant too?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Original AG 76
AG
EBrazosAg said:

That's great info.

Shame that Goodman is not highly thought of by most. Is the place on 290 just the world wide distribution center or a manufacturing plant too?
both
VAXMaster
AG
Trane and American Standard engineered and manufactured in Tyler since the 50s, although it was GE back then.
Bigderk21
AG
Air solutions!!
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd throw out the suggestion for Daikin. Keep in mind where they are manufactured and how that will play out if you need some special part outside of your TEN YEAR WARRANTY. Still...same day...just down the road.
bigloco1
+1 for Marco.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.