Propane providers

8,776 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by lockett93
concerned vet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last year Gastec sold to some company out of california called Southern Propane. I received calls non stop for several months telling me that I owed them. No one could tell me how much and each time I asked to have a bill sent so I could pay it, Finally got someone that was able to tell me that the bill had been sent but to some other address, Anyway, I got tired of dealing with the imbeciles especially after another round of non stop calls over a late fee from the bill I couldn't pay becuase they were sending it to some unknown address.So, now I have asked them to remove the tank and I now need a new supplier. What other propane suppliers are out there and I want someone local.Thanks

classicdoug
AG
Last winter I switched to Star Tex Out of Waco. I think they are in BCS every day. I paid $ 1.32 per gallon today. When Gas Tec sold out the prices skyrocketed. I bet I would have paid way over $3 per gallon today if I was still with them.
befitter
Sharp
bigdog1
Was using Gas Tec. A month or so ago I went to purchase some propane and found out it is now Surburban Propane out of California I think. They charged me 3.86 /gallon. I started calling around and the highest I found was 3.05. When i complained they dropped the price to 3.23. Then they sent me a bill after I had left a check which seemed like a lack of organization. The day my tank rental runs out in May I will be dropping Surburban like a rock. Flat out price gouging.
slyk
Wow, good to know. Gastec used to be my GoTo place to get my 20lb bbq tanks filled. So where now? Unless this new place still charges the same and fills the tanks all the way but by what I hear, probably not.
I refuse to trade in my tanks at the Blue Rhino type/AmeriGas type of places because those are not filled all the way.
LOYAL AG
AG
Star Tex is probably cheaper than Sharp. I know they are cheaper than Amerigas.
originaltexan
As of 1/15/2014 in Brazos County,

you should be paying between $1.75 and $1.85 per gallon of propane.
deh40
AG
quote:
As of 1/15/2014 in Brazos County,

you should be paying between $1.75 and $1.85 per gallon of propane.
Where are you getting those prices? I just had to pay $3.29 last week. Thnx.
classicdoug
AG
I'm wondering where you got those prices too OriginalTexan.

I looked back at my invoice and I paid 1.85 in December. Then as I said earlier, when they topped me off this week I paid $1.32.
deh40
AG
quote:
I'm wondering where you got those prices too OriginalTexan.

I looked back at my invoice and I paid 1.85 in December. Then as I said earlier, when they topped me off this week I paid $1.32.
Classic, where did you get your propane for those prices. Tnx
deh40
AG
And do you have their tank or do you own your tank?
concerned vet
I rent my tank and have called Southern Propane 5 times now asking them to come pick it up and no luck. Waiting to get rid of it before I call another company
classicdoug
AG
I rent my tanks. I have two. One at my shop and one at home. Rent is $10 per year each.

If you're switching companies, the new company will move your old tank to the side, set their tank in place, and then transfer any remaining gas from your old tank to your new tank.
Texarkana
samsal75
AG
From my investigations Star Tex appears to have the lowest consistent prices whereas Amerigas was charging me very high prices until I threatened to cancel their service. Did receive a much better price from Amerigas so agreed to stay with them but it now appears I am again paying more than what Star Tex is charging?? May change providers in the spring for sure this time.
originaltexan
Star Tex is the company

Albert is the delivery guy and he rocks

I will email his cell phone number if you wish

Please contact me thru my website
deh40
AG
Called Startex and they were at $1.79. Called my provider and told them Startex was at almost half their price. She first claimed it had to be an introductory price, then would go up on subsequent fills. After arguing with her she agreed to reduce my price significantly.
originaltexan
No introductory price....

Been with Star Tex for almost 2 years.

Very satisfied.
classicdoug
AG
I'm with OriginalTexan. Definitely not an introductory price.
concerned vet
Can someone post Star Tex phone number?
Yuccadoo
Just got my bill: $3.10/gal. My bill was outrageous.
halibut sinclair
We use Strickland and are pretty happy.
badbilly
AG
quote:
I rent my tanks. I have two. One at my shop and one at home. Rent is $10 per year each.

If you're switching companies, the new company will move your old tank to the side, set their tank in place, and then transfer any remaining gas from your old tank to your new tank.
Who do you rent from CDoug?
classicdoug
AG
I rent from Star Tex. 800-792-3487.
concerned vet
Wow, just Wow.Suburban Propane has now sent me to collections to collect my fee for the tank that I have now called and asked to be removed for the zillionith time. I sent a certified letter telling them to pick it up by Feb 4 or else it becomes mine. These guys are jerks. Suggest everyone find a different provider.
drred4
I am changing to Star Tex. I am with Ameigas now and hhave had enough with their prices. Everytime I have had a fill up it seems like they are over $1.50p/gal higher.

Just the other day i needed a fill up. Called Star Tex and their price was 1.79. Called Amerigas and they said get this $3.91. I laughed and said really even if it was 2.91 that still would be high. Even for someone who is your customer and has your tank. They should be at least as cheap as others due to volume i would think. Made the call and switching.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Can someone post Star Tex phone number?

The Bryan number, unless it's changed, is 979-325-9254.
birdman
Suburban Propane invents new ways to screw up my bill every month. They really are inept. Even if their prices were competitive, I'd still switch.
originaltexan
So, did anyone get to meet Albert yet?
71txag
AG
Originalteaxan is right, Albert did me a great job and I was out. No silly emergency fee, etc just great service!!!
originaltexan
Albert is a good guy.

No nonsense, and he is always busy.

I think he cares about getting propane to people. Not kidding.
propaniack
Wow, I was told Star tex was getting Talked up.. I am Albert with Star Tex propane. I am Flattered,, But the Co. deserves the Credit . I just work there. They Strive to sell for less than any one.. and when you consider what has been going on in BCS this last 10 years It has been long coming for a independent to get serious about BCS area. I have worked for Gas tec/ and Amerigas over the last 24 yrs in Bcs. In every position available on a Branch level. we have hired a second driver from Gas tec, Very dedicated and professional. Mike Reed.. we hope to open a store in the BCS area and are currently looking for a few acres (rural) for another storage, we just finished building one in Hearne.

The Big difference you see in ricing is simply this,,, the big Corporate owned companies like to get as big a profit margin as they can,, about 2.00 to 2.50,,, over purchase price,, most independents (we are family owned and operated by one of the sisters) do well with 1.00 over purchase price.
If you want to know what we are ALL paying at any given time at the docks in houston.. just google "mount Bellevue propane spot price".. My # is 979 325 9254 Star tex propane is 1800 792 3487,, currently the price is 1.79 per gallon... Someone mentioned Sharp propane. they just sold out to Ferrel gas in mid summer and all the local employees left them, they are about 3.00 a gallon currently.

propaniack
Currently now 1.75 per gallon.
Yuccadoo
Suburban propane refused to lower my bill below $3.20. They agreed to that from $3.80 but are constantly sending me letters of past due amounts. Apparently, they can't get their records straight. I will call Star Tex immediately.
philothea
Called Star Tex and the said theirs was $1.99/gal. Highest I have been quoted. AmeriGas was 1.49/gal but they want a contract (I have my own tank.) Sharp couldn't come out for 2 weeks and HyPoint was $1.95/gal.

Any other suggestions?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.