How much do you tip for Curbside Takeaway?

20,886 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by capn-mac
Kitten With A Whip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have only used it a few times and am wondering if I am not tipping enough.

So far for me, it has depended on where and what I have ordered. Soup and salad at Blue Baker, I only tip maybe 2 bucks, but for a bigger meals for 2, I have tipped 5 or 6. I haven't really used a standard percentage, I guess, because I don't consider it quite the same as dining in.

Are there any other places besides Outback, Blue Baker and Chuy's that have curbside takeout?
SARATOGA
My tipping is based solely on keeping my cup filled.

You do that, you get 20% plus.

With takeaway, having no cup to refill. No tip.
csagyo
LOL Sara ,fail...

Curbside takeaway, where they bring your food to your car and you leave without any refills.

But I agree when sitting inside the restaurant.

About 10% is what I do on curbside.

[This message has been edited by csagyo (edited 9/9/2013 5:09p).]
Carnwellag2
Isn't curbside the same as ordering from a fast food place. Tip?
TLIAC
AG
The difference between curbside and fast food is that the wait staff is only making a little over $2 per hour and they happened to get stuck with the To Go station that night. At a fast food place the person is making at least minimum wage. I tip around 15%.
Rexter
I can say with certainty that the drive-thru/to-go people at wings n more make better than minimum wage. I've had 2 kids and 1 that is now a daughter-in-law work there. Stupid thing is..... they were always talking about the other "servers" griping about not getting tips at the window, and if they did get tips, griping about having to tip out to everyone else.
FlyRod
One factor would be whether you patronize the place regularly. If you do, tip. Otherwise, prepare to have your curbside takeout treats...adulterated.
rhoswen
AG
If I'm gonna drive all the way to somewhere I might as well go in to pick up my order. I'll leave a dollar or two for putting my order together though.
rhoswen
AG
Btw, if a person making $2.15/hr doesn't average out to the real minimum wage for that shift, the business makes up the difference. Everyone (should) always be making the 7.25 or whatever it is.
Carnwellag2
If it is expected then it really isn't a tip.

Do you tip the same as if you were eating inside and getting service for 30-45 minutes.

Do you give the tip and sign the check prior o receiving your meal?

Neither of these make any sense to me
Yuccadoo
10%
PS3D
I know a few restaurants that automatically tack on a gratuity fee for curbside .
CrazyAgE
I don't tip a damn thing for curbside. The restaurant says that's how you pick up your food there. I just assume to go in and pick it up myself. I remember one restaurant telling me after I went in, after waiting 15-20 min in my car, that "we have curbside to go". Needless to say, I just paid and left. Could have really got ugly. Wasn't worth it
Kitten With A Whip
quote:
If I'm gonna drive all the way to somewhere I might as well go in to pick up my order. I'll leave a dollar or two for putting my order together though.

I still tip at least a couple 2 or 3 bucks when I go in, as well. I have rarely used the curbside takeout option anywhere.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Since my order is wrong more than 50% of the time I am leaning towards no tip.

Texker
AG
Typically the to go server still has to pay tip pool on to go sales. Staffing to go is a PITA so I usually tip 10% providing the server has their act together.
PrincessButtercup
AG
The to-go people aren't paid the $2.15 the other servers are paid. Just like if a server is working expo in the kitchen, they get more. And like Rho said, the restaurant always has to make sure they end up making at least minimum wage. I'll usually tip 10%.

[This message has been edited by PrincessButtercup (edited 9/10/2013 1:42p).]
capn-mac
Two things to remember on service-income wages.

One, if there is a tip shortfall for a given employee, it's not reimbursable until the end of the pay period--so, any such employee might have to "do without" until that time.

Two, that make-up difference comes out of the pocket of the restaurant's net, which can lead to higher prices or lower quality--neither of which enhances the customer experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.