Chief Meteorologist Shel Winkley

8,932 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by malibu9in1
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats on your promotion, Shel. You've got some big shoes to fill, following Bob French, but I'm sure you'll do fine.
Newbomb_Turk
techno has another man crush.
FlyRod
That's two just tonight!

Shel is doing just fine, and I'm sure he knows it.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 8/13/2013 10:33p).]
gigem1215
AG
I've been so busy but I noticed that Bob French hadn't been on the weather. Thought maybe he was on the nights that I wasn't having time to watch the news. Where is he going? Seemed like such a nice guy. I am sure Shel will do a great job!
wellboriginal
Casey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shel
Rapier108
quote:
I've been so busy but I noticed that Bob French hadn't been on the weather. Thought maybe he was on the nights that I wasn't having time to watch the news. Where is he going? Seemed like such a nice guy. I am sure Shel will do a great job!

No one knows where Bob went and I wouldn't recommend speculating about it. He basically just vanished. Mike Wright replied that it was " personal and a personnel matter" and after that the previous thread was locked.
Newbomb_Turk
^ or Kailey even.
wellboriginal
Yeah. Her.
Diamond Geezer
Jared Plushnick is the foremost weather authority in the Brazos Valley.

My neighbor's view: If I wanted a youngster to tell me the weather I'd have my son poke his head out the door.
FlyRod
Alderman, does your neighbor tell those da*n young weather whipper-snappers to get off his lawn? LOL.

I like accuweather.com myself...
Diamond Geezer
Well you have to analyze it from the older person's perspective. They've trusted Bob French for many years to deliver their weather. Not only have they lost Bob French, but the new weatherman is a youth. Appearance is everything, and Shel may know what he is doing, but that experience is not conveyed visually (and tv is a visual medium). KBTX has a problem on its hands.
I'm doubting many kids Shel's age watch KBTX. They've alienated their bread and butter demographic.

But like I said, many people switched to Jared Plushnick a while ago so the void is not what it would be if there was not a better alternative available.
Newbomb_Turk
So you're saying Jared is not a youngster? He looks like Ernie Douglas from My Three Sons.
Look Out Below
AG
So you're saying all old people discriminate against young people?

Shel's lived in the community for eight of the last 10 years, earned his meterology degree from A&M --where he often returns to talk to their classes -- and has the most longevity of anyone on the KBTX weather staff. I can assure you if Mike Wright didn't think he would do a good job then he wouldn't have promoted him.

I could give a crap how old he, or anyone on the staff, is as long as he's/they're doing a good job. We're lucky to have as solid a news group as the folks at KBTX. Those awards they constantly win aren't participation awards.
Diamond Geezer

vs.

The glasses give him a sense of maturity.

This gives me a great idea. Let's get Shel and Jared together for charity, and they can go head to head in an obstacle race or tug of war ala Battle of the Network Stars! We could do it right with the short athletic shorts and multicolored striped tube socks. This would be a lot of fun!
Newbomb_Turk
Jrod_2002
AG
quote:
Well you have to analyze it from the older person's perspective. They've trusted Bob French for many years to deliver their weather. Not only have they lost Bob French, but the new weatherman is a youth. Appearance is everything, and Shel may know what he is doing, but that experience is not conveyed visually (and tv is a visual medium). KBTX has a problem on its hands.
I'm doubting many kids Shel's age watch KBTX. They've alienated their bread and butter demographic.

But like I said, many people switched to Jared Plushnick a while ago so the void is not what it would be if there was not a better alternative available.

First off, where do you get your stats? Because KAGS rarely cracks a 0.2 in viewership, and has at times scored a 0.0.
Second, to say Plushnick has more "experience" is also false. Plushnick is younger than Shel, and has less Severe Weather Experience (Shel spent time in Amarillo with Newschannel 10).
Third, if you follow both on Twitter (and Alderman Davis, it's probably safe to assume that the Twitter and the Facebook scare an old man like you) Plushnick tends to copy KBTX Weather tweets and broadcasts and tries to pass them off as his own.
Diamond Geezer
Newbomb, I think you are taking a personal shot at Jared. These people may not be real to you, but I can assure you they are real people with real feelings.
Newbomb_Turk
Not at all. I think he's a good weather dude, but he looks like he's about 12.
Frito95
Did Shel personally job Alderman out of some rain at some point?

I've seen him cheerleading this same thing on a few other threads.

When I need weather news and the science behind it, I turn to Winkley. There is no second place.
Diamond Geezer
Jrod, Twitter... Is that a new weather show? I get it!
The...Weather.... TWITTER! clever!
Diamond Geezer
Frito the radio personality
aggieann
AG
WHAT DID THEY DO TO BOB?
Jrod_2002
AG
For Alderman Davis:

Frito95
FlyRod
I do remember watching Bob on tv during two "minor" tornadoes that came by my house. In both cases he gave on the spot exact and precise details about where the storms were headed, their paths, and I knew that in each case I wasn't going to get slammed. I don't know if Shel has been tested in severe weather events like that, but I hope he is able to bring that level of detail to announcements when they occur.
gigemags03
AG
I think Shel is great. Congratulations to him on his promotion! Just because he is younger does not mean he is not qualified. In fact, I think sometimes having younger people in those roles are more beneficial because there is more familiarity and interest in newer technologies with the younger generations. He seems to have a true passion for what he does and is eager to share that with others. I think he has been great for KBTX, and I will definitely miss watching him in the mornings on BVTM (I'm assuming he will no longer be on that show with this promotion).
nhamp07
AG
A simple google search shows jared graduated in 2009.

Obviously that guy is a troll.
Diamond Geezer
Like I said earlier, appearances matter. It's not that Shel is younger -- it's that he LOOKS younger. At least to salt of the earth people like my neighbor, that seems to matter a great deal in the person they trust for their weather. It's something I've heard from others, too. It's not a knock against Shel personally, and I'm sure that later on in life, his cherubic countenance will be something he's quite grateful for.

Frito, you should talk about this on your show. It would be the most interesting thing ever discussed on Candy 95. I'd be happy to call in and outline the Battle of the Network stars challenge as I envision it. We could raise some money for local charities.
FlyRod
Appearances certainly do matter. When I was in grad school, there was a local weatherman who was quite old, had one lung, and used to cough and wheeze while doing the weather. Students had a rather large death-pool going on as to whether he'd make it through that particular year. In this case, appearances mattered for the size of that pool.
Frio Cielo
I think that Shel and all the news and weather persons do a great job.

My only suggestion for Shel would be to work on not using the word "pretty" so much if at all.

The word pretty is a really weak word to use in a weather forcast comment as a pretty day tomorrow to me would be a couple of inches of rain and to a farmer ready to harvest a crop or a family going to the beach would be a sunny day.

Hummingbird
I think Shel will do a very good job. For goodness sakes, give him a chance!

[This message has been edited by Hummingbird (edited 8/14/2013 5:51p).]
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Don't hold your breath, Hummingbird. These are the same people who criticize every new restaurant in town and take issue with every move TAMU administration takes.
CharlieMac
quote:

C'mon Shel.. you're awesome. . We got your back..
FlyRod
Trust KBTX!

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 8/14/2013 6:38p).]
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Says one of the most prolific critics of Grubs and Napa Flats

Que? I love both those places. You're the resident food snob here.

[This message has been edited by techno-ag (edited 8/14/2013 6:43p).]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.