RV on side yard

9,690 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UmustBKidding
HappyMomof2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband and I are wanting to buy a RV and park in our side yard behind the fence. We don't have a HOA, We live in the new part of Shenadoah.

I am not seeing anything why we can not on the City of College Station web site.

Does anyone see why we would have a problem buying the RV?

We are needing to pave the area. Can anyone suggest anyone? TYIA

carpe vinum
AG
A year or two ago council considered an ordinance banning RVs in driveways but I'm pretty sure they didn't approve it. Call the code enforcement wienies to be sure.
dubi
AG
Will it be taller than the fence? If yes, neighbors will hate you and you will degrade property values.
DDMOVERS
AG
D&D Moving and Storage, Inc. offers RV parking for as low as $50.00 per month if you need an alternative (only few spots left)! Not sure on rules in your area, city code enforcement would be a great place to find out!

Let me know if D&D can help!

www.ddmovers.com

-DD
Max06
AG
Doesn't the city have an ordinance against parking on the grass? Years ago, I got a warning for having HALF of my tire on the grass adjacent to my caliche driveway in the COCS.
91_Aggie
AG
Don't buy an RV if you can't afford to store it properly.

neighbors will hate you.

[This message has been edited by 91_Aggie (edited 8/7/2013 4:42p).]
rhoswen
AG
If there's no ordinance who cares what the neighbors think?
Newbomb_Turk
^ classy

RV's and boats in yards are trash.

[This message has been edited by Newbomb_Turk (edited 8/7/2013 5:44p).]
Pale Rider
AG
Agree about the neighbors part. If it sticks over the fence (which in almost all cases it will) it's an eye sore.

I love RVs and hope to own one myself one day. But I agree with the poster above. If you can shell out for the RV then you might as well budget for the $XX/mo and store it out of the neighborhood.
GnomeTalmbout
Rhoswen, I'm sure that no one would want to be your neighbor if you think being trashy is ok!
rhoswen
AG
I don't think RVs are trashy. I mean sure, if it's a trashy beat up RV, yeah.
Rooster14
It's your yard. Do what you want.
Hammerheadjim
AG
In both cities you will have to park it on a paved surface. That paved surface can be gravel, ash, concrete, shells or asphalt.
FlyRod
Nothing wrong with an RV in the yard... if you are the type who hauls a beat up old couch on the front lawn to drink your cans of Silver Bullet on.
Tradishun
quote:
If there's no ordinance who cares what the neighbors think?

You don't own property, do you?

I didn't think so.
HappyMomof2
Thank you all for you commits.

FlyRod
Good luck on your purchase and enjoy many memorable road trips across this great country of ours!
BlazeHarper
Yeah build it a parking space and park it there I am sure your neighbors will Love Love Love it ! Wish my neighbors would do it ! I have often dreamed of being able to look at an RV next door.

[This message has been edited by BlazeHarper (edited 8/7/2013 7:44p).]
BCStalk
Base it on your usage. If you are going to be traveling 3 or more times a month, store it at home. If it is a maybe every other month kinda thing I would store it. I wouldn't want to have to transport it from one place to the other if I was using it a lot. I also wouldn't want to be a neighbor next to an RV that never gets moved.
BigBubba
AG
I may be wrong but you most likely still have deed restrictions that prohibit this even if you don't have an HOA. Most planned neighborhood developments have deed restrictions and they usually have an HOA to help enforce the deed restrictions. Sometimes in small developments the HOA may fall dead but it doesn't mean those deed restrictions just went away. It is harder to enforce the deed restrictions without an HOA because your neighbors would have to sue you directly to force you to comply but they would win because the deed restrictions do exist.

That being said, I agree with everybody else. DON'T DO IT. Your neighbors will hate you and it WILL degrade their property value. If you live on several acres and your closest neighbor is a 100 yards away then it is fine in my opinion but in small neighborhood lots where you plan to park the camper 2 feet from the fence line it is plain rude.
understandingmom
About 50% of my neighbors have something in their driveway other than or in addition to an automobile. Boat, rv, trailer, ...
One neighbor does have a wood covered large gate that opens to the street with a concrete pad inside that he parks his rv on. It is there a month, gone two. Built here 12 years ago and never left. Lots of same neighbors. It actually doesn't bother me as much as parking on the street does.
SECeded
violiav
quote:
I don't think RVs are trashy. I mean sure, if it's a trashy beat up RV, yeah.

I don't think so either. Maybe it's RV envy.

I'd be envious of one of these babies-http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2014/tour/

or these
http://www.americancoach.com/americaneagle
Not my granddads motorhome!

I see RV's and boats I go, "oh, cool, I wish I had one." Not, "Those lame jerks with their lame RVs. RVs are lame. Only losers have RVs."

dfphotos
So many freedom haters, lol
Ag12
AG
The South CS NIMBYS sure are out in full force. Ive lived in several places where it was common for people to keep rvs and boats in fairly nice suburban neighborhoods and I can't ever recall thinking it was "trashy" so long as they were in good condition.

[This message has been edited by Ag12 (edited 8/8/2013 1:40a).]
ksevern
AG
I think you might ask your neighbors.....

I am personally okay with it, especially the way you describe it. Then again, I am living full-time in an RV right now. I chose to live where there is no HOA. That's what's great about this state--- room for all preferences.
taxpreparer
AG
When you bought YOUR home, you did so subject to certain potential restrictions. If there were existing deed restrictions, or HOA rules, then they must be observed as must city ordinances. If you are not violating any of those, you can do as you wish on YOUR property.

That being said, you should consider the effect on your neighbors and the relationship you (want to) have with them.

[This message has been edited by taxpreparer (edited 8/8/2013 7:14a).]
techno-ag
AG
There's one parked long term in a driveway in the Raintree subdivision, so if there is an ordinance it's not enforced.
SARATOGA
If there is not an ordinance against it, you can do what you want on your own land.

As others have said, call code enforcement to double check.
jrhmc
AG
I'm pretty sure there's one that is parked behind a fence most of the time in the HOA part of Shenandoah and it's been there off and on for at least 5 years. Obviously, the only restriction is the "don't park on the grass" thing.
SumAggie
people who don't care what their neighborhood looks like.
TKDMom
PARKING IN THE YARD CH 10.6 B-3

It shall be unlawful for the owner, occupant or person in charge of property used for residential purposes to permit the parking, standing or storing of motor vehicles, excluding recreational vehicles on yards or lawns excluding driveways, paved parking areas, or areas screened from public view by fencing.

So as long as your HOA doesn't mind, and you're putting it behind a fence, Code Enforcement has no issues with your potential RV.
Goat Man
AG
I cannot understand why it would be a problem to park an RV behind a fence if you are not breaking any rules, regulations, etc. My parents lived in a decent neighborhood while I was in high school and our next door neighbor had an RV. I never thought he or our neighborhood was trashy.
mgreen
Just after I bought my first home in my 20's, this ass next door buys a huge RV and parks it in his backyard and I had to look at it every day. I was young and stupid but apparently some other neighbors balked and in response he built an ugly shed in the backyard to hide the RV. The shed looked worse than the RV.

As stated earlier, if you can not afford to store an RV or boat do not buy it. You will have no friends in the neighborhood.
carpe vinum
AG
NIYBYs
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.