Fast food restaurants charging for water??

10,601 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kingdom8772
DWren
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you agree or disagree?

I recently went to a fast food place , ordered food and sat down. A few minutes later a co worker of mine met me there but had already had lunch. He went to the counter and ordered a water and was charged .. I believe a quarter.
Agree of disagree with this?
Anyone know any places that charge for water?

[This message has been edited by Dwren (edited 1/9/2013 12:30p).]
burgermeister
Agree. Sounds like the business is trying to recoup the cost of water, cup, wages, and other overhead to serve a customer. Probably a little profit in there too.

If you disagree with it, you can dine somewhere else.
rhoswen
AG
Been going on for years. Have no problem with it. Some places, like the McDs on Northgate, will give you a small water for free if you buy something else.
GuitarChick
The restaurant doesn't get the cup, the lid OR the water for free. Why do you feel like you should?
Tanya 93
They have to pay for the cup, the ice, and the water. Why shouldn't your coworker pay for water?
DWren
Hold on now, I never says I agreed or disagreed. I was just wandering others opinions on this.
I actually agree 100%
The cup,lid, straw, water, ice .. That's not free for the restaurant.
Most places will not charge for water if you order something else.. But if order water and only water., of course you should be expected to be charged.
techno-ag
AG
If they're going to charge for water, they should have no problem with me bringing in my own drink. Can't bring in an outside drink? Then don't charge me for water.

Actually I don't really care. I'm always buying tea or Cokes anyway.
CharlieMac
Charge for water.

In a day and age where ketchup costs, "free water" and credit card fees add up to $.75 or more for an order of fries, I have no problem with people charging for them.
Flatlander
Ultimately the only opinion that matters is that of the customer. If they agree and they want the water, then they will pay for. If they disagree, then they will not buy the water.

That's the way a free market works.
rookie1
I always order tap water in any place (fast food or not) and have never been charged because I always order some food as well.

If I were to just walk-in and order water, I would expect to be charged and would think it was fair... however never done this before.

However in the situation of meeting someone who has ordered food and who I'd be sitting with, I'd say it is debatable... perhaps it is too hard for the fast food attendants to differentiate who is there alone or with someone else who ordered food... If I did not have the quarter, I would at least mention that I am with someone who is dining there.
acp46
I avoid this issue by avoiding fast food restaurants.

But the restaurant sets the policy, and the management can charge for water, take items on and off the menu, bar customers from bringing in outside food or drink as they see fit. Plenty of places to eat around here to choose from if you aren't keen on the policy of one.

[This message has been edited by acp46 (edited 1/9/2013 2:15p).]
rhoswen
AG
My issue is if you want a LARGE water. If a small water is 0.25, how come a LARGE water is the same price as a large coke? Can't you just charge me 0.25? Even 0.30 since the large cup is probably slightly more expensive than a small one?
Prickly Thorn
Free water with food, charge for water by itself. And I hate people that complain when they don't get something for free.
LJF78
I also agree with this. Last I checked restaurants are in business to make money. Won't do that giving stuff for free.
LJF78
quote:
My issue is if you want a LARGE water. If a small water is 0.25, how come a LARGE water is the same price as a large coke? Can't you just charge me 0.25? Even 0.30 since the large cup is probably slightly more expensive than a small one?

Where does this happen at?
ooshwa
Staff
AG
With a large family, my kids always get water when we go out to eat (fast food or otherwise). We've come across a number of places that charge for water (with food). I've never said anything to these restaurants because it is obviously their choice, but we seldom return to such a place.

Additionally, I would never meet someone in any establishment without buying something there.

[This message has been edited by ooshwa (edited 1/9/2013 2:23p).]
TKDMom
quote:
Where does this happen at?

McDonalds will charge you for a large drink ($1) if you want a large cup of ice, regardless of whether you order additional food. Not a big deal. They have to pay for the cup, lid and ice.
LJF78
quote:
With a large family, my kids always get water when we go out to eat (fast food or otherwise). We've come across a number of places that charge for water (with food). .]

Just curious what places charge for water with food.. And how much.
I dont order water at restaurants very often so just curious.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
I'm not sure I know of any in town. Either the Caldwell or Hearne McDonalds and a number in north Houston have charged us .25 per cup (not a deterrent).

Within the last few years, the Koppe Bridge out HWY 30 used to charge a full soda price if you wanted any water cup with a lid (for kids). Again, I have no problem with it; it's their choice. After a couple times, we stopped taking our family there, so I don't know if they still do it.
Cancelled
AG
Some restaurants do fountain drink inventory by the number of cups sold
rhoswen
AG
I'm not referring to sit-down restaurants. I don't remember which drive thrus told me that, but when I say "a double cheeseburger and a large water" they always tell me ahead of time it'll be the same cost as a large drink. At that point I just say forget it or ill get a large tea.
Scooley01
AG
As others have said, it's typically to cover the cost of the cup/lid/labor on top of the actual water and ice.

Something else to think about, if the restaurant is one that has a fountain in the dining area, you're probably getting charged for water to cover the cost of dishonest people that order water and fill up with soda. It happens every day, but most restaurants don't confront these dishonest folks.
stinkerbelle
Most fast food restaurants and some convenience stores that sell fountain drinks have specific cups they order that they call "ice cups" or "water cups" for their ice and/or water customers. Some places charge about 25 cents for these whether you order food or not, some won't charge you if you order food. If you want a larger cup of water or ice, then you get charged full price of a soda because their inventory is done by the cup. Inventory by cup is about the only way to keep an accurate inventory with fountain drinks and tea's. Sit down restaurants where you get a real glass or cup and not paper or styrofoam do not worry about inventory of soft drinks, tea's and coffee's, but most fast food and convenience stores are required to keep inventory. I have been in the business and that is just how it works.

[This message has been edited by stinkerbelle (edited 1/10/2013 12:47p).]
justalocal
Down by the coast where I grew up, McDonald's charged 10 cents for a courtesy cup to put water in. You were paying for the cup, not the water. They had been doing that for as long as I can remember in the 80's and 90's. I moved up this way in 2000, so I have no idea if they still do that (I figured that was a corporate wide policy). So charging for a cup to put water in isn't anything new to me.
rhoswen
AG
Public indecency FTW
CDub06
AG
I understand paying for cups for water and don't have a problem with it. It's infrequent but I'm surprised when I am charged for tap water at a restaurant that has reusable cups/glasses.

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 1/11/2013 11:17a).]
Tanya 93
they don't have to wash the glasses or make the ice?
BCStalk
A shaved ice machine takes 10 minutes just to make ice for one large cup of ice. That's a huge machine running through an expensive filter and is hard to maintain. Definitely not something to just be given away.
BurnetAg
no issues on being charged for water. businesses aren't in it to give services away for free.
acp46
Curious how many people who feel it is ok for restaurants to charge for water also feel that restaurants should let children eat for free, It would seem the same logic applies in both instances.
Tanya 93
There is a big difference between thinking they should do it or should have to do it.

Restaurants should do whatever they think is best for their customer base. I have never seen a fast food place let kids eat free though, considering most of this thread is on fast food places charging for water.
acp46
That's a good point actually...fast food restaurants do operate a tad differently from the others.
rjamizon
Something that nobody has mentioned, and I'm sure that nobody here would ever do....

Some people at fast food restaurants order water but then get a soft drink anyway. I've had multiple Aggies confess this practice after calling them out.

So maybe that quarter they charge for your "water" is really to recoup some costs associated with theft.
Scooley01
AG
quote:
Something that nobody has mentioned, and I'm sure that nobody here would ever do....

Some people at fast food restaurants order water but then get a soft drink anyway. I've had multiple Aggies confess this practice after calling them out.

So maybe that quarter they charge for your "water" is really to recoup some costs associated with theft.

I mentioned that...several posts above yours. :P
PS3D
Discovered that Chicken Express charges for tap water now, even if you order a full meal.

They also do not inform consumers of this.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.